Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

33 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Zero point in this but what the hey, it's a slow day. Maybe we could have it for a couple of weeks mid-January

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 23.24.42.png

Concept is brilliant. Execution apart from the vectoring and/or positioning of the text is good too. The colours are a little off to me, mostly the blue.

Overall this is a really good job and a great idea, I love the shape you've gone for and it's well presented!

35 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Zero point in this but what the hey, it's a slow day. Maybe we could have it for a couple of weeks mid-January

You might be on to something with the two shades of claret there... make everyone happy... :)  

13 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

This is beautiful. The shades of blue and yellow are slightly off but otherwise it's pretty much perfect for me. And it showcases how a badge fits into a full design identity.

Unique shield shape, yellow lion, simple but elegant badge design, excellent font choices, no star, wider design framework -- this is one of the best fan-made designs I've seen.

I love that mini-crest too -- would look excellent and instantly recognisable as a profile photo on the socials.

• Like 3

Appreciate the comments, thanks all. Obviously the colours are subjective and may be showing up differently on different screens - I've just gone with my preference of a core mix that I think lets us do heritage and more modern vibrancy. Which I've just realised pretty much match the circa 1994 scarf I wore to the match today. Graham Fenton vibes.

Always been in the crest-over-circle camp - I could get into an A and V angular brand identity rant, how I think we should always have a V-neck shirt.. but we've all got lives to lead. I do think they were on to something with the gas lamp design, just didn't like the execution. And I'm all for the lion facing right - progression!

Ultimately just want our beautiful club to have a confident, authentic, ownable visual identity deserving of it, both for generations of fans and for our global profile. It's tough and not everyone will agree on it, I hope whatever is being lined up is something the majority of us can get behind.

• Like 2

The club did put the lamp monument thing outside the Holte in 2014 to mark the 140 anniversary. So it’s not completely out of the blue. There has been some prior acknowledgment.

I quite like it incorporated in the otherwise circular design, happy to have a little quirky detail to make it more interesting.

It doesn’t sound like it’s happening though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Where's this focus on the gas lamp come from? I'd literally never heard of it as a story until the last badge selection.

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

People are trying to make it a thing. It isn't.

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The club did put the lamp monument thing outside the Holte in 2014 to mark the 140 anniversary. So it’s not completely out of the blue. There has been some prior acknowledgment.

I quite like it incorporated in the otherwise circular design, happy to have a little quirky detail to make it more interesting.

It doesn’t sound like it’s happening though.

" Legend has it that on 21st November 1874, four members of the Wesleyan Chapel male adult bible class met under a gas lamp in Heathfield Road to form Aston Villa. The four founding fathers of our club are believed to be Jack Hughes, William H Price, George Matthews and William H Scattergood. "

Even I've always known this story?

Wouldn't say it's totally irrelevant.

Think there is even a Villa Forum/Site called " Under a gaslit lamp " which has been around for a while.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

I know it's not completely irrelevant but it's an element of the origin story that basically isn't important and is chucked in as a bit of evocative imagery - if they had met around a bin or next to a drainpipe outside a pub we wouldn't hear about it. It's not an important 'thing' to our story and it's always felt a little forced in trying to make it a thing - nobody really cares or thinks it's an important part of what Aston Villa is - it never has been.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I know it's not completely irrelevant but it's an element of the origin story that basically isn't important and is chucked in as a bit of evocative imagery - if they had met around a bin or next to a drainpipe outside a pub we wouldn't hear about it. It's not an important 'thing' to our story and it's always felt a little forced in trying to make it a thing - nobody really cares or thinks it's an important part of what Aston Villa is - it never has been.

Thats blues surely?! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

So has the club decided to go back to the drawing board again after all the negative reaction to supposed "leaks"?

I very much doubt that. (I also don't think there have been any actual leaks). 

I think we'll see it in the next couple of weeks.

Â