Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Which begs the question we need to vote on any new badge pronto and have it sent to kit manufacturer as I believe shirts for next season are more or less already decided?

Next season's kit will have a one off badge anyway though for the 150th anniversary. 

I reckon there's a very good chance that'll be the 'blazer' lion, maybe in a simple shield.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Next season's kit will have a one off badge anyway though for the 150th anniversary. 

I reckon there's a very good chance that'll be the 'blazer' lion, maybe in a simple shield.

Let's hope it's classy but then when we all like it we will be gutted with the replacement!

Round badge is fine by me said before lose the star and make the lion face the correct way and its even better.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Using AV in a graphic would have no bearing at all on SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), Google can't accurately read the letters that are part of a graphic, and so can't use it in their search algorithms, only if we constantly refer to ourselves as just 'AV' would there be any overlap. 

Personally, I think the whole Audio/Visual thing is a bit overblown, and if anything it could be used to our advantage by a skilled marketeer.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was struggling to think of the specific reasons why design and marketing experts wouldn’t think using AV would work.

I see what OBE is saying about getting confused with an electronics company, but I’m confident we could implement the AV into our branding in such a way that it was unique and obvious enough this wasn’t the case.

For what it’s worth, I’m not suggesting we use AVFC on the badge instead of Aston Villa, I just mean using the initials in unique and recognisable logo, similar to what the new Juventus badge achieved.

41 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The best kit we've had in the last few years was designed by Fanatics. And that's the only one they have designed for us.

I was under the impression fanatics did most of the work, most manufacturers just out their name to it. Like we seen with Luke, so my apologies for misunderstanding on this.

It's confusing wondering who desgins and manufacturers the kits and how the process is done.

36 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I was struggling to think of the specific reasons why design and marketing experts wouldn’t think using AV would work.

I see what OBE is saying about getting confused with an electronics company, but I’m confident we could implement the AV into our branding in such a way that it was unique and obvious enough this wasn’t the case.

For what it’s worth, I’m not suggesting we use AVFC on the badge instead of Aston Villa, I just mean using the initials in unique and recognisable logo, similar to what the new Juventus badge achieved.

I mean, you could try and work around it, or you could embrace it and partner up with big players in the Audio/Visual market and use it to your advantage. I think there's more than one way of looking at it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was under the impression fanatics did most of the work, most manufacturers just out their name to it. Like we seen with Luke, so my apologies for misunderstanding on this.

It's confusing wondering who desgins and manufacturers the kits and how the process is done.

I wasn't entirely sure myself until recently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oh great 4 badges in 4 seasons.  Couldn't they focus on some other  things like decent match day facilities at Villa Park instead?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, so, I wanted to illustrate the kind of thing I think we will be getting, judging by what Mr Heck and Mother Design did with the 76ers.

Now, I'm not saying it will be this design, I've not touched on colours in any way, they may well use a different shape, a different font face, or a different lion, they may use the star, or they may not, they might include 1874, or they may not.

What I'm trying to show is how a crest for us may be designed to be used as part of a brand with component parts.

So first up we have a crest with all components included, now this isn't meant to scale down exactly as it is, it will lose component parts depending upon the use case.

spacer.png

This would be used pretty much wherever space is allowed and the full name required.

Next, we have a version that just contains the text, this would be used when there's not enough vertical space for the whole thing, like the header of a website, on the side of a pen, or something like that. I've done a couple of versions of this. You could also use the up/down chevrons in other places like on the kit or various other places and really integrate that into the brand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then we have the diamond and the lion, this could be used wherever there's a repeating pattern, or anywhere you don't need the text present, like wallpaper etc.

spacer.png

Finally, we have the lion on its own (apart from the star in this case), we've seen that used quite a bit recently on jackets, strips, and marketing.

spacer.png

The idea is that you have these interchangeable parts, that can be used across a brand, swapped in and out as needed. If done properly and consistently it can be a very powerful marketing tool.

simpsons-dreamy.gif

This is ridiculously good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

The idea is that you have these interchangeable parts, that can be used across a brand, swapped in and out as needed. If done properly and consistently it can be a very powerful marketing tool.

This please! With Aston Villa on the top and perhaps a bit more of a rampant lion with his tongue sticking out. Job done.

That's excellent, TT. 

I was thinking about a diamond style design previously.

A few German clubs have it. But no other notable English clubs (as far as I'm aware).  The lion on the roof of the old Trinity was set against a diamond backdrop, so ties in with our heritage as well. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, so, I wanted to illustrate the kind of thing I think we will be getting, judging by what Mr Heck and Mother Design did with the 76ers.

Now, I'm not saying it will be this design, I've not touched on colours in any way, they may well use a different shape, a different font face, or a different lion, they may use the star, or they may not, they might include 1874, or they may not.

What I'm trying to show is how a crest for us may be designed to be used as part of a brand with component parts.

So first up we have a crest with all components included, now this isn't meant to scale down exactly as it is, it will lose component parts depending upon the use case.

spacer.png

This would be used pretty much wherever space is allowed and the full name required.

Next, we have a version that just contains the text, this would be used when there's not enough vertical space for the whole thing, like the header of a website, on the side of a pen, or something like that. I've done a couple of versions of this. You could also use the up/down chevrons in other places like on the kit or various other places and really integrate that into the brand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then we have the diamond and the lion, this could be used wherever there's a repeating pattern, or anywhere you don't need the text present, like wallpaper etc.

spacer.png

Finally, we have the lion on its own (apart from the star in this case), we've seen that used quite a bit recently on jackets, strips, and marketing.

spacer.png

This is excellent and I agree with what they will go for. Yes - I know that there are differences with the Chelsea badge and the voted-on round badge but it will be much harder to mistake this badge with other clubs (though I'm sure someone could find one).

The next step would be a kit re-design to incorporate these elements.

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We see a plethora of fan mock up Villa shirts each season and some of them are absolutely amazing.

You're right, we have some very talented folk on this forum who I dare say would give Fanatics a run for their money in designing a decent Villa kit. Our very own @NurembergVillan, @Teale's 'tache and all the other designers that we have amongst us on VT, I'm fairly confident would deliver a better result without a doubt.

I'd be very happy for the club to ask if those two (plus others in the business) could somehow be involved in the process.  They know the business and obviously know the club.  I think they'd have a good idea on whether a design can go further or if it might have gone too far.  The danger is that anyone not liking a design has a "target" other than the design team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, allani said:

I'd be very happy for the club to ask if those two (plus others in the business) could somehow be involved in the process.  They know the business and obviously know the club.  I think they'd have a good idea on whether a design can go further or if it might have gone too far.  The danger is that anyone not liking a design has a "target" other than the design team.

Yeah Villa fans... who ALSO have a wealth of experience with actual design fundamentals , modern media etc welcome.

I've started to realise that alot of people legit don't have a clue about design, modern media, or basic colour balance etc 

I see a few claim the Lerner era one is still the best one and I'm absolutely bemused.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the other obvious interchangeable part would be to remove the lion from the crest and use the crest and name as a frame - for example when a new player signs, you have their portrait within the frame.  Or you could put 3-0 as the final score in the frame.  It's immediately obvious that anything contained within the frame relates to Villa.

(I do like the floodlight style reference - so slightly think that the top of the diamond needs to look more like an A.  Aesthetically you are probably right to have the Aston Villa at the bottom but at the top would make the A and V used to make a diamond more obvious.  For the floodlight reason, I'd like that to be a but more prominent in the font of Aston Villa - but I guess that's tricky to do technically if it results in a non-standard font type.)

However, this perfectly demonstrates exactly what @OutByEaster? and I were discussing last night and having a brand that allows you to do lots of different things with different components and yet still make everything "feel" linked and cohesive.  Thanks!

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HolteExile said:

That's excellent, TT. 

I was thinking about a diamond style design previously.

A few German clubs have it. But no other notable English clubs (as far as I'm aware).  The roof on the old Trinity was set against a diamond backdrop, so ties in with our heritage as well. 

If I remember correctly @Teale's 'tache started the diamond as an amalgamation of the old A V floodlight configuration - which brings even more history and another level of thinking about the small details into the whole design.  Plus I think there was a nod to the stained glass windows around the ground too.  That's exactly the kind of thing that allows a modern design remain traditional and steeped in history.  Which is exactly what I think we need to be doing - Aston Villa, a modern club but with a great history.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

Â