Saudi Pro League

tomav84

Surely the idea of Saudi teams joining the Champions League has a huge elephant in the room. What if an Israeli team drew a Saudi team?

Indonesia already lost the Under 20 tournament for not allowing Israel to travel

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Surely the idea of Saudi teams joining the Champions League has a huge elephant in the room. What if an Israeli team drew a Saudi team?

Indonesia already lost the Under 20 tournament for not allowing Israel to travel

We're talking about pure hypotheticals here, because I don't think there's any immediate or realistic chance of Saudi changing their registration from AFC to UEFA, which would surely be necessary first. But at this high level of abstract hypothetical, it might be worth noting that relations between Israel and Saudi have thawed significantly in recent years. 

3 hours ago, cyrusr said:

I do wonder what the reaction will be when he plays for England. 

i would guess that the negativity will be angled more towards him being southgates mate who shouldnt be playing for england given the standard of the saudi league and his playing ability

the moral side of him playing there will be a strange mixture of people not caring and pearl clutching

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i would guess that the negativity will be angled more towards him being southgates mate who shouldnt be playing for england given the standard of the saudi league and his playing ability

the moral side of him playing there will be a strange mixture of people not caring and pearl clutching

True, and the game is being played in Poland which is not exactly a pro LGBTQ+ zone...  

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Is it? Right I'm off to call Waistgate a rocket polisher to his nose.

I meant more with your delightful government (not that ours is any better) but throw a cabbage for me please!

• 2 weeks later...

“When I received the offer from Al-Hilal, I talked about it with my family, giving up was impossible,' Mitrovic said in an interview with Italian newspaper Gazzetta Dello Sport.

“I have no nostalgia for England, I played many years there.

“I’m happy to have finally arrived at a top club, Al-Hilal is a bit like Real Madrid in Europe.”

suppose its an upgrade on Newcastle :P 

https://talksport.com/football/1568784/al-hilal-fans-aleksandar-mitrovic-banner-fulham/

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

It's already been reported that some players in the SPL are being paid extra to promote the league on social media so I wouldn't be surprised if that quote is just there to earn Mitrovic another dollop of cash. 

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely no clue if any of this is remotely true (it's the Sun after all) but wouldn't surprise me one bit. Hope it's true and that the league holds them to their contracts.

Mega-money stars in Saudi Arabia hating every minute of lucrative transfers and want to go home months after moving

SunSport understands a number of stars who moved to Saudi Arabia are massively regretting doing so. Some are hating every minute.

The big problem is whether they are able to return before the end of their contracts, which in many cases are two years.

And equally, despite Saudi Arabia being a nation of 37million people, attendances for games are not great.

Jordan Henderson’s Al-Ettifaq team — managed by Steven Gerrard — played in front of 9,827 when they lost 2-1 to Slaven Bilic’s Al-Fateh last Thursday.

Their previous home crowd was 4,867 but last month just 976 fans watched their 3-1 win at Abha Club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24357986/saudi-arabia-hating-transfers-home/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 13:57, sne said:

Absolutely no clue if any of this is remotely true (it's the Sun after all) but wouldn't surprise me one bit. Hope it's true and that the league holds them to their contracts.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24357986/saudi-arabia-hating-transfers-home/

It sounds like the Saudi Pro League is not that popular in Saudi, even with bringing in some big name players from around the world. It must be hard to motivate yourself in front of such a small crowd, when you are used to playing in front of thousands. I am sure that the wages will help cushion the blow a little bit. The younger ones like Neves who went out may well be regretting it more than the likes of Henderson and Ronaldo who is in the twilight of their careers, and won their medals etc.

Gerrard team watched by less than 700

It proved to be a humiliating weekend for Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson's Al-Ettifaq after they suffered a 1-0 defeat against Al-Riyadh in front of fewer than 700 supporters.

Khalid Al-Shuwayyi scored the winner in the 16th minute for Odair Hellmann's side as Al-Ettifaq slumped to back-to-back losses for the first time this season. The result leaves Gerrard's men in seventh and already nine points behind first-place Al-Hilal, who are still unbeaten from their opening 10 matches.

To make matters worse, Al-Ettifaq's defeat was played with just 696 people in attendance. This is staggeringly low for a top-flight match, though Al-Riyadh aren't one of the most well-backed sides in the Saudi Pro League. It isn't the first time Al-Ettifaq have seen a crowd this low, as just 976 fans turned up for their 3-1 win at Abha in September.

In comparison, there were more supporters (702) at Clitheroe's 2-1 victory over Newcastle Town in the eighth tier of English football on Saturday. Almost double (1124) were at Marine's win against Lancaster in the division above, while 2122 fans were in attendance for National League North clash between Hereford and Curzon Ashton.

• Haha 4

That's pretty funny, but does also reveal another trend that is creeping somewhat under the radar which is that this is a good time for non-league football attendances, which keep going up on average around the country. The sheer depth of interest in football in England is surely close to unique in world football. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, duke313 said:

And there we go, sooner than I expected to be fair.

I don’t believe that for a second. They can’t go “inviting” random teams not even in Europe to the Champions League.

The closest they could go would be to award a place in the competition for the Saudi Pro League winners. 

Edited by Genie

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t believe that for a second. They can’t go “inviting” random teams not even in Europe to the Champions League.

You mean ceferin, who is elected by the 55 UEFA members can't just invite anyone he likes to his competitions, which are controlled by the UEFA club competitions committee in accordance with the 220 members of the ECA? (the ECA being chaired by the PSG Qatari guy)

Said before, villa would get a vote on this

Not saying it will never happen but I'd be amazed if it did, who the **** is voting yes to it? Or voting to keep in ceferin if he can bypass everyone and let it happen? He wouldn't survive in 2027

Edited by villa4europe

Â