Pau Torres

Delphinho123

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Maybe their coach thinks he's an average PL 'defender' at best. Distressingly slow and weak. Fails to cut out plenty of threats in his vicinity

🤷🏻‍♂️

To not pick him for these reasons but to opt for *Laporte* at Saudi would be.. something 😬

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Maybe their coach thinks he's an average PL 'defender' at best. Distressingly slow and weak. Fails to cut out plenty of threats in his vicinity

🤷🏻‍♂️

Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football!

• Like 2

Glad he's getting a rest. We need him fit and ready.

Just like everyone, he has lots of areas he can improve next season.

Oh well, just like the World Cup we will have hardly any players playing at a major tournament despite finishing 4th. 

I get people who say that he'll be fully rested, this is good, but I want Villa players at major tournaments, especially in Pau's case after he went to the last Euros with them and the World Cup. Players will start thinking if I sign for Villa I won't get selected for my national team which always seems to be the case (I swear we have never had more than 5 players at a major tournament before whereas most of the big clubs have 10+). 

In Pau's case, he clearly hasn't been fancied for Spain since the last World Cup. He wasn't in the last squad and when he has been in the squad he's barely played.

It's a strange defensive selection. No Porro either, but 38 year old Jess Navas. Cucurella in there who's sh*t but no Gaya who's more experienced. Very young and inexperienced backup centre halves in Cubarsi and Vivian.

Both Diaby and Pau were our highest profile signings last summer and probably two of our highest profile signings of the last 30 years. Yet neither will be going to the Euros. 

• Like 2

If we're looking at it objectively, from a defensive point of view Pau is dodgy. He's great on the ball, but so is Lewis Dunk. I have not been impressed with him defensively. 

He should actually be slightly embarrassed that 2 central defenders with 3 caps between them have been selected over him. One of them has just turned 17 years old too. 

It should make him even more determined to improve his defending, although given he's 27 now it may be too late for that. 

34 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Oh well, just like the World Cup we will have hardly any players playing at a major tournament despite finishing 4th. 

I get people who say that he'll be fully rested, this is good, but I want Villa players at major tournaments, especially in Pau's case after he went to the last Euros with them and the World Cup. Players will start thinking if I sign for Villa I won't get selected for my national team which always seems to be the case (I swear we have never had more than 5 players at a major tournament before whereas most of the big clubs have 10+). 

In Pau's case, he clearly hasn't been fancied for Spain since the last World Cup. He wasn't in the last squad and when he has been in the squad he's barely played.

It's a strange defensive selection. No Porro either, but 38 year old Jess Navas. Cucurella in there who's sh*t but no Gaya who's more experienced. Very young and inexperienced backup centre halves in Cubarsi and Vivian.

Both Diaby and Pau were our highest profile signings last summer and probably two of our highest profile signings of the last 30 years. Yet neither will be going to the Euros. 

Watch the Copa America instead. Emi, Doug and Duran all playing in that. Would've been more if Bailey hadn't decided to withdraw from Jamaica selection.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I want him there as well, want our players playing on the biggest stages always.

I think it's just trying to put a positive on a negative. I'm sure if he was selected in the squad most on here would be over the moon and not give two hoots if he didn't get a rest.

Players playing for their national teams is always beneficial to us, especially when they actually have a chance of winning it which Spain do.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Watch the Copa America instead. Emi, Doug and Duran all playing in that. Would've been more if Bailey hadn't decided to withdraw from Jamaica selection.

Bailey should have gone, he's their star player. Not a bad group either, Mexico will probably win it then it's wide open for 2nd place. 

Otherwise yeah, three players in that tournament. I suspect only Martinez will be a starter though. 

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think it's just trying to put a positive on a negative. I'm sure if he was selected in the squad most on here would be over the moon and not give two hoots if he didn't get a rest.

Players playing for their national teams is always beneficial to us, especially when they actually have a chance of winning it which Spain do.

No, I think quite a few on here would happily have our players never play for their national sides. I agree with you though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Bailey should have gone, he's their star player. Not a bad group either, Mexico will probably win it then it's wide open for 2nd place. 

Otherwise yeah, three players in that tournament. I suspect only Martinez will be a starter though. 

Doug will have a chance with Paqueta I presume being withdrawn now with the betting charge.

• Like 1

He was already not starting for Spain as the French centre backs were ahead of him and now Cubarsi has emerged and Nacho versatility was always going to go against Pau

Pity as had a ticket to a Spain game at euros and was hoping to see him

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I agree with this..

Its not a good look for the club whichever way you look at it..

Yes he needs to improve defensively but he should be in that Provisional squad..

• Like 1

Â