Pau Torres

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, gatecrasha said:

His continued absence from the team is killing is. He is the conducter of the Orchestra- without him we headless

We certainly miss him but I’d be cautious of lauding him as the one true savour, there are 11 players who should be pulling their weight also… although he should be a big improvement on Lenglet

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

We certainly miss him but I’d be cautious of lauding him as the one true savour, there are 11 players who should be pulling their weight also… although he should be a big improvement on Lenglet

Undoubtedly a miss not having him, but we created plenty today. I don’t see how having Pau today would have prevented Ollie, Ramsey or Luiz missing sitters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

Undoubtedly a miss not having him, but we created plenty today. I don’t see how having Pau today would have prevented Ollie, Ramsey or Luiz missing sitters.

Might have prevented them from scoring seeing as he’s, err, a defender.

27 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Might have prevented them from scoring seeing as he’s, err, a defender.

Ah yes… Pau Torres, known for his aerial prowess. We’ve conceded plenty of silly goals with Pau on the field. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 23:55, duke313 said:

Pau with his passing range would have created more chances for us to miss sitters

9 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

is it worth giving Pau a go in Kamara's role?  They have similar attributes

No the key strength of his is building up play from back where there is more time and space. To play Kamaras role you need to be combative and mobile too. 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 03:12, duke313 said:

Ah yes… Pau Torres, known for his aerial prowess. We’ve conceded plenty of silly goals with Pau on the field. 

Obviously Pau isn't brilliant in the air but I do think he's an underrated positional defender and generally leaves the gap between him and the other CB (Diego or Konsa) much smaller than the gap between Lenglet and Diego for the Jackson and McTom headers.

I'd have to go back and actually watch some of the footage but it's not as if Pau and Konsa are elite headers of the ball yet they were kept their spacing much tighter to prevent those kind of run ins for crosses that we've seen a fair few number of times between Lenglet and Diego and subsequently Cash.

Could be positioning, could be communication but I think Pau's reading of the game is not only an attribute in his passing but his defensive positioning as well.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AV82 said:

In before the 'stats dont mean everyfin'. Yes, yes, I agree, but it is surprising to see these statistics. Maybe he got them the wrong way around? 

If these are the right way round, it's another notch in the bow of the "eye test"

• Like 1

Pau was dodgy for the first few games so that is where the stats are a bit skewed. 

From late September up to his injury he was magnificent for us.

Lenglet had a good career and he's decent back up but if I was an opposition attacker I'd know which CB I'd be looking forward to facing and it would be him especially if Carlos was alongside him.

17 hours ago, AV82 said:

In before the 'stats dont mean everyfin'. Yes, yes, I agree, but it is surprising to see these statistics. Maybe he got them the wrong way around? 

I think Lenglet has generally been good. Moreno has been much worse than digne defensively which makes our left side a lot more vulnerable than it was with Pau. 

I don't have any issue with Lenglet or Pau's passing and ability to play out, both are decent with Pau obviously capable of some incredible key passes.

My issue, is neither has very good positional sense or physical ability to shut down a defender, so playing a ball over the top or set piece with those two would instil utter dread.

Konsa and Mings are the kings of this and at least Carlos is physical.

But both Pau and Lenglet are two similar so putting them side by side is like going to the fish and chip shop and order chips with an extra side of chips.

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think Lenglet has generally been good. Moreno has been much worse than digne defensively which makes our left side a lot more vulnerable than it was with Pau. 

Lenglet can’t defend especially with his speed and high line.  Can pass 💯 all the time for all i care but thats not his first role

On 15/02/2024 at 16:10, AV82 said:

What is this? One game? Assuming that performance index is out of 10, it can’t be an average of all games. 

Have they picked Pau’s worst game or something?

Â