Pau Torres

Delphinho123

24 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I dont want to take any gloss off Pau, but I think Konsa is a closer match for McGrath - his timing and reading of the game is excellent, and still improving.

Just to complicate matters I thought I noticed Carlos having two backheel clearance efforts during the Spurs game which totally reminded me of McGrath

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder what a 3 of Mings ( Prime version ) Konsa and Pau could look like.

Mings centre ( Last defender ) , Pau left, Konsa right.

Or Mings Left, Konsa Right, and Pau as an old fashioned Libero, a moderd day Beckenbauer 👀

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Or Mings Left, Konsa Right, and Pau as an old fashioned Libero, a moderd day Beckenbauer 👀

Indeed, dictating play from the back etc 

May actually suit him to be further back as his " pace " won't matter as much and he'll have the protection ahead of him?

I remember I used to have a similar debate about Doug needing a partner who could do that dirty work for him to thrive with his best attributes.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I was critical of Pau in his early appearances but his contribution is obviously improving with each match and he's getting more confident  as a consequence.

His performance in individual battles remains a worry though. Looking at our two centre backs on Sunday, I would wish for a little more aggressiveness from one and a little less from the other.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I was critical of Pau in his early appearances but his contribution is obviously improving with each match and he's getting more confident  as a consequence.

His performance in individual battles remains a worry though. Looking at our two centre backs on Sunday, I would wish for a little more aggressiveness from one and a little less from the other.

As in one of the pods I listened to, I guess he's a " high trade off player ".

So you can either have someone who's outstanding defensively, or outstanding going forward.

I think Pau is " ok " defensively " and brilliant going forward 

Again, the ideal defender is a Splice of Mings and Pau, and those are usually at the likes of Man City.

As I said once in a transfer thread, you'll notice season by season, our " poor " players are getting better.

Meaning even our " shite " players now, are streets ahead of the " shite " players we used to have.

I do expect Pau to improve defensively as well though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As in one of the pods I listened to, I guess he's a " high trade off player ".

So you can either have someone who's outstanding defensively, or outstanding going forward.

I think Pau is " ok " defensively " and brilliant going forward 

Again, the ideal defender is a Splice of Mings and Pau, and those are usually at the likes of Man City.

As I said once in a transfer thread, you'll notice season by season, our " poor " players are getting better.

Meaning even our " shite " players now, are streets ahead of the " shite " players we used to have.

I do expect Pau to improve defensively as well though.

Speaking of Man City, isn’t Pau a bit similar to Laporte?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I think so. I'm sure there was one major international tourney where they started together and it was like double vision. Pau has a better passing range though IMO.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

47 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think so. I'm sure there was one major international tourney where they started together and it was like double vision. Pau has a better passing range though IMO.

Possibly why the links to him came up over summer whilst Paul talk were ongoing.

On 30/11/2023 at 18:51, sheepyvillian said:

Someone mentioned the amount of times we have caught teams offside, it's unreal. Miles ahead of Liverpool who ate in second place on 98.

i bet it was tasty.

8 hours ago, villan95 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned how easily Solanke turned him for the 2nd goal.

Yeah, it's been pretty standard for his defending so far, I think that's why. He's not great at it.

He'll use the ball well often, and not defend well often. That's him.

9 hours ago, villan95 said:

He was already on a yellow at that point, maybe that was on his mind? Commit at that point and run the risk of a second yellow and a penalty, or hope Solanke doesn’t get his shot away properly. Probably playing the percentages. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villan95 said:

It was an excellent turn, and I think Pau thought Luiz had Solanke covered, but Luiz suddenly passed him on. 

Not sure what else he could do to be honest

• Like 1

Â