Pau Torres

Delphinho123

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

He was caught out because we lost the ball in their half and never cut the ball over the top out or even closed them down to stop it.

We only play a highline when we are in possession of the ball, if we then lose it cheaply and don't react to close the ball out down then we are going to end up in a foot race back, forwards are always going to be favourite to win.

Precisely. Forwards without the ball have to play a huge role as pests, too. Ollie seemed a little lack in aggression Saturday, overall. Can't let those over-the-tops just germinate unchallenged.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tinker said:

He was caught out because we lost the ball in their half and never cut the ball over the top out or even closed them down to stop it.

We only play a highline when we are in possession of the ball, if we then lose it cheaply and don't react to close the ball out down then we are going to end up in a foot race back, forwards are always going to be favourite to win.

Emery wants to keep possession, if it's difficult then we need to play it back to the defense and start again, stretching the opposition. We can pass it out if we have a mobile midfield, wingers and or forwards, on Sunday we didn't have that. 

Torres will be our best defender, I have no doubt about that,  he needs a few games to settle. 

The Football Weekly pod mentioned this briefly, we played and extremely high line and didn’t press. Was asking for trouble.

If we’re going to play that high a line we need to press all over the front when ball is lost. Something we will lose with Buendia out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

The Football Weekly pod mentioned this briefly, we played and extremely high line and didn’t press. Was asking for trouble.

If we’re going to play that high a line we need to press all over the front when ball is lost. Something we will lose with Buendia out.

Its not just the forwards,  the midfield have to play their part in it as well. Newcastle closed us down with seconds, we needed to replicate that but we didn't we lost the chance to compete at that point.

Emery will know what happened,  he was coaching Kamara from the side of the pitch all the way through the game. Beundia is a big miss for his defensive part of the game in our final third. 

18 minutes ago, tinker said:

Its not just the forwards,  the midfield have to play their part in it as well. Newcastle closed us down with seconds, we needed to replicate that but we didn't we lost the chance to compete at that point.

Emery will know what happened,  he was coaching Kamara from the side of the pitch all the way through the game. Beundia is a big miss for his defensive part of the game in our final third. 

Last season we had good pressing players, Watkins, Buendia, Ramsey and McGinn all pressing. As talented as Diaby and Zaniolo are, I do wonder if our pressing will be affected when they both play, if it is the high line is suicide.

50 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Interesting article with an interview with that dreamboat called Pau, from The Athletic

Comes across really well and impressive that his English is so good already 

Torres is similar to David Luiz, in that he is more of a midfielder playing as a defender, and doesn't have possess the same defensive attributes as others in his position. The benefit is that he has the passing ability, which most defenders don't have, and is an advantage in certain systems. 

I think we need to bring in someone who will provide the traditional defensive qualities to pay alongside him, in Mings's absence, as konza is not that guy. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Torres is similar to David Luiz, in that he is more of a midfielder playing as a defender, and doesn't have possess the same defensive attributes as others in his position. The benefit is that he has the passing ability which most defenders don't have and is an advantage in certain systems. 

I bloody hope not 😝

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Torres is similar to David Luiz, in that he is more of a midfielder playing as a defender, and doesn't have possess the same defensive attributes as others in his position. The benefit is that he has the passing ability, which most defenders don't have, and is an advantage in certain systems. 

I think we need to bring in someone who will provide the traditional defensive qualities to pay alongside him, in Mings's absence, as konza is not that guy. 

If we have to sign another CB to play alongside our new £30m one, he wasn't the right purchase.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we have to sign another CB to play alongside our new £30m one, he wasn't the right purchase.

I don't agree. He was signed to play alongside Mings I think. There was also Carlos as backup, but he is still getting used to the league. We are now in a situation where the two players with the most complimentary combination of skills, are both new to the PL, and one is only just back from a serious knee Injury. There isn't anyone else with the strong defensive skills, so we need to bring in another player. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Just now, Made In Aston said:

This isn't a thread about Luiz, but of course we don't want anyone similar to someone with 50+ caps for Brazil and played for Chelsea, Arsenal and PSG!🙄

It was more in jest. Of course Luiz was an excellent footballer but renowned for having bad mistakes in him. I just hope Pau is a better defender tbh and from what I've seen/know, he is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think Carlos is that guy. Cost £30m himself. We'll need to give him a few games to get up to speed and not get on his back as he's rusty, and effectively still getting used a new league, new manager and new defensive partner. However, from what I've seen of him he looks fit, fast, strong and aggressive so we need him to step up. 

Clean sheet tomorrow would be lovely - I doubt we'll have many over the next few weeks. 

• Like 2

I have a good feeling about a Pau - Carlos partnership. I think they will really compliment each other with Carlos being the aggressor and Pau tidying up. But they are both really good footballers too, able to bring the ball out of defence and pick a pass. Them being Spanish speaking could help too, along with Emi and whoever plays LB.

The Mings - Konsa partnership was good and nobody wanted it to be broken up the way it was, but if this clicks it could be something that takes us up another level I feel.

• Like 3

Â