Pau Torres

Delphinho123

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Answer the question.

Did Carlos or Konsa have any premier league experience before we signed them?

If you're going to make ridiculous statements, atleast engage and back it up with the facts.

Konsa has played with the team for ages. Carlos has had barely any minutes. He's not going to displace a solid pairing. Good managers don't **** with solid CB pairings. See if I'm wrong

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Konsa has played with the team for ages. Carlos has had barely any minutes. He's not going to displace a solid pairing. Good managers don't **** with solid CB pairings. See if I'm wrong

That's fine..

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Good way to derail season is introduce 2 CBs with no PL experience. Luckily Emery isn't that stupid

So again, did Konsa or Carlos have any Premier League experience prior to us signing them?

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Likewise potentially buying a player for our record fee and putting him on the bench makes zero sense too.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's fine..

So again, did Konsa or Carlos have any Premier League experience prior to us signing them?

Slightly different situation with Konsa as we had just been promoted so pretty much none of the team had PL experience 

For what it's worth I don't think there is a chance that we end up starting the season with Carlos and Torres (if we sign him) as our first choice pair, Unai will want to give them time to settle into his playing style.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's fine..

Pointless argument. Konsa lots of games with Mings in Championship which is closest league to PL and I wouldn't just throw Carlos into start having no idea how he's come back from injury so moot point

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Opens up the Pau Torres thread this morning...

Super excited! Something must be happening for 4 pages to have been added overnight!

No, its just @Kiwivillan and @AvfcRigo82 bickering again

Bickering?  Ha!

I'm trying to figure out why the poster was making a ridiculous statement about players with no Premier League experience.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Pointless argument. Konsa lots of games with Mings in Championship which is closest league to PL and I wouldn't just throw Carlos into start having no idea how he's come back from injury so moot point

With all due respect, It's pointless because you know it's aload of bollocks mate.

We will leave it there.

7 minutes ago, picicata said:

Slightly different situation with Konsa as we had just been promoted so pretty much none of the team had PL experience 

I get that to a degree, however we had a few players in our squad at the time who did have PL experience. But that's neither here nor there.

Konsa still had zero PL experience which is the point I was making to the poster.

Does this mean we only need to sign players now who have PL experience or GTFO?

53 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Theres something collectively ingrained in us villa fans that we can't accept the idea of signing excellent players in positions where we already have excellent players and letting them fight for their position

Is it just put recent history of mediocrity or a self deprecating thing

Top teams fans don't get nervous when they sign top players to compete with who they already have . Arsenal fans won't be crying about signing havertz when they already have an abundance of attacking talent.

We have to accept we are entering a new and improved phase of our existence where we need to be building a full squad of excellent players. Not 14 excellent players and a bunch of vaguely competent individuals to make up the numbers.

Theres also a bit of sentimentality we can't shake where we have our favourites who have served us well and maybe don't deserved to be dropped for someone new. But I think we need to allow natural selection decide who deserved to be starting for Aston villa. It's something that needs to be earned, not given

Agreed. I love Mings, probably my favourite player if I had to pick one, but in the hypothetical world we sign Torres I can't see them partnering each other (without opening that can of worms), and if Torres ends up being the better player then that's just how it is. If we're going to make good on the ambitions then no player outside of probably Martinez is safe, and that's a good thing.

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

With all due respect, It's pointless because you know it's aload of bollocks mate.

We will leave it there.

Come back to me after start of season when we see what CB pairing is

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I don't get why Mings and Torres couldn't play together.

2 LCBs both left footed that play LCB. Managers like natural footed CBs for outball and please no exception to the rule John Terry replies 

Also Konsa was one of our best no frills players last season. The disrespect for him is shocking

Edited by Kiwivillan

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Bickering?  Ha!

I'm trying to figure out why the poster was making a ridiculous statement about players with no Premier League experience.

To be fair, it seems the discussion *ahem* started from someone saying Carlos and Torres will be starting CBs next season.

I can't remember any point in time when a club has completely changed their starting CB lineup with 2 players who haven't (or, at least, have barely) played in the same league let alone the same country before.  I think it would be fair to assume Mings starts next season and we have Konsa/Torres/Carlos as "the other" centre back.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seems like a frustrating summer even with Emery and most clubs hardly signing anyone yet,  that people believe made up player links are turning us down

Do you have evidence it isnt true? Just saying we are according to the links seem to have hit brick walls so far with our top targets.

Of course its still early days but i think we want our main targets in for pre season like most clubs

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

2 LCBs both left footed that play LCB. Managers like natural footed CBs for outball and please no exception to the rule John Terry replies 

Also Konsa was one of our best no frills players last season. The disrespect for him is shocking

You're making a lot of statements here as fact that you don't really know. And telling people not to point out exceptions to the rule is just silly.

As for Konsa—well, it'll have to be Mings or Konsa who drops out. And If Mings is more the destroyer then he's the one who would complement Torres, not Konsa. Managers like to have a blend of different types of cenre back, and please no exception to the rule replies.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you have evidence it isnt true? Just saying we are according to the links seem to have hit brick walls so far with our top targets.

Of course its still early days but i think we want our main targets in for pre season like most clubs

AFAIK the only player we were in for that turned us down was Asensio and even he did an about turn because of PSG. He was going to sign for us until they offered him the world. 

I said in a previous thread that this would be a slow and protracted window for us as well as for clubs in general, according to a couple of agents I've spoken to.

Most of the links on here (that inexplicably got their own threads) have been made up nonsense, which annoyed one or two posters for me to point out but there we go.

Torres would certainly be a  great signing if we could get it done.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Konsa certainly didn't play lots of games with Mings in the Championship - zero in fact.

• Like 2

Â