Pau Torres

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I didn't say how many players were turning us down, or comment on their quality, or even allude to the veracity of the individual rumours, but I did say players will be turning us down. Of course they will, we aren't going to be successful with every offer we make. And that is fine.

That implies offers have even been tabled for a player to turn us down. I doubt many offers have even been made yet. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

That implies offers have even been tabled for a player to turn us down. I doubt many offers have even been made yet. 

I hear you and your technical point is more than likely accurate, not many offers will have been tabled, so not many (if any), will have been turned down.

However, I am certain some of the exploratory talks we have engaged in will have become quite advanced, with the broad outline of the possible offer discussed, which in some cases will then have been rejected.

The press conflates, exaggerates and yes, absolutely makes up most of the talk around the transfers you hear 'reported', but it isn't all lies and Villa are getting turned down by some players based on the indicative offer we have made!

So, what?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure at all. But there's a decent chance. Too big a chance for me to be "going big" on him. £30m fee + £30m in wages? Absolutely must succeed.

I'd rather get a surer bet for less, even if it means the ceiling probably isn't as high. David Hancko or Piero Hincapie for example. It's hard enough to get attacking players, it's much harder for them if they're coming from outside the PL. Paying top dollar for a defender that isn't really suited to the PL is too big a risk to me.

All trust in Unai. No question he's a good player.

He's worth twice that, it's a fantastic deal.

Only reason he's potentially so cheap is because he has one year left on his contract.

Just now, Leeroy said:

Reckon this gets confirmed this week. Be a great signing for us.

As soon as Monchi gets behind his desk this will be raitified/completed.

A big name signing will kickstart his tenure off nicely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He will need about a year to adapt physically and no guarantee it will happen. He also can no longer get in the Spain squad either

It happens, I'm pretty confident he'll get back in. Mings was dropped for over a year from England yet you'd still say he's a very good defender. Kamara can't get a game for France yet he's a brilliant player, Luiz hasn't been called up to Brazil for 2 years but was our best player last season. International callups are quite often, excuse my French, a load of b*llocks. 

Torres would be our best ball playing centre by far and perfect for the way Emery wants to play. But like you I'd prefer him to play alongside Mings rather than in place of him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure at all. But there's a decent chance. Too big a chance for me to be "going big" on him. £30m fee + £30m in wages? Absolutely must succeed.

I'd rather get a surer bet for less, even if it means the ceiling probably isn't as high. David Hancko or Piero Hincapie for example. It's hard enough to get attacking players, it's much harder for them if they're coming from outside the PL. Paying top dollar for a defender that isn't really suited to the PL is too big a risk to me.

All trust in Unai. No question he's a good player.

It’s all in the last sentence for me mate, if Unai wants him then then that’s good enough for me.

I just have a very good feeling that he will be a success here, he adds a different profile to our selection of cb’s.

Edited by Woody1000
Damn autocorrect!

2 hours ago, Anything11 said:

It is wild that you think these players are a "surer bet" than Torres. please explain

As good as he is, I don't think Torres suits the Premier League. For a centre half he isn't especially dominant in the air or on the ground. Bit of a Lindelof. As we've seen for the last 4 years, if Mings doesn't play we look a mess - we need that presence.

Be a very exciting signing if it comes off.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

All the talk of displacing Mings and fighting for his place - which I think will bring him up a level again, I’d think Mings could learn from Torres despite Torres being the younger. 

Yes.

Let's remember folks, when the Torres deal is completed we will have 4 great central defenders who will all be utilised throughout this busy season.

I'm sure all 4 will be given equal minutes & games where possible.

What the best central pairing will be will be a nice problem to have.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Good way to derail season is introduce 2 CBs with no PL experience. Luckily Emery isn't that stupid

Morning Mr Happy.

Did Carlos or Konsa have any PL experience before we signed either of them??

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Morning Mr Happy.

Did Carlos or Konsa have any PL experience before we signed either of them??

Another pointless obfuscation of my argument. Mings and Konsa start next season

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Another pointless obfuscation of my argument. Mings and Konsa start next season

Answer the question.

Did Carlos or Konsa have any premier league experience before we signed them?

If you're going to make ridiculous statements, atleast engage and back it up with the facts.

• Like 1

Â