Youri Tielemans

thejoker

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Whether I posted it in here or not, I definitely remember looking at how many first team games he'd played for his age and worried he might be a busted flush.

Absolutely superb footballer.

i did say above he is one of the brightest points for me, but at the same time, he does have weaknesses, a bit like Luiz, but if both are playing in a side that complements them well (ie: balances their strengths/weaknesses), they can shine, i think that goes for Luiz and Tielemans this season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Whether I posted it in here or not, I definitely remember looking at how many first team games he'd played for his age and worried he might be a busted flush.

I am surprised and disappointed at myself,  there, to be included in your hall of shame. I am usually very supportive of players and patient with new ones.

• Like 2

Anyone I've quoted here, please don't see it as point scoring. I quickly ran through a couple of pages in September when the Belgian press had him angling for more game time whilst we were seeing him make a very slow start to his Villa career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Seems like he’s ruled out of the final game through injury. Full credit to this guy for basically playing with an injury and pain against Liverpool 👏

Have a good summer Youri, you’ve made a very good impression in your first session with us.

Will be a big player for us next season. Could well start to transition from Luiz to Tielemans as our full time tempo midfielder if Doug doesn't sign a new deal. Tielemans is only actually a year older than Luiz which I find surprising given how long he's been around at the top level for Monaco and Leicester.

Surprised the amount who were wanting to sell Tielemans even two months ago. He's going to be ideal for the CL games with his style and we saw this in how expertly he controlled our play at Arsenal and to a lesser degree v Liverpool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I know, I know - he was playing crap when we first signed him. There's probably a similar post from me in the thread too. I just couldn't help myself though!

Looking forward to trawling the Diaby thread in a few months too 😂

All those comments were on the night of the Everton league cup defeat when no one was on it. Luiz was abysmal aswell and he was in fantastic form in the premier league in that period so think it was a case of just chucking the League cup. Will probably be the same next season unless we get easy draws.

Youri certainly had to bide his time to get a regular prem start simply due to how well Kamara-Luiz-SJM have done for Emery and he was always going to start Diaby regularly in the early part of the season.

Given the success of the xmas games perhaps we should've just played all four CMs much earlier together but then we were winning at home and getting some good results away with what we had.

Ultimately this is how teams improve. Signing a top class player in an area where you already have three of them and then eventually suspension/injuries open up the position.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I know, I know - he was playing crap when we first signed him. There's probably a similar post from me in the thread too. I just couldn't help myself though!

Oh wow you have done me dirty there, I haven't said a bad word about him in 9 months 😅 in fact I have been complimentary....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Challenge accepted...

You bastard 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I kind of went the other way.  I said to another Villa fan in the summer that I thought that Tielemans would be our Player of the Season.  I think he's a way off that but he definitely gives us plenty of options whether starting or coming off the bench.

It took him a while to get up to speed because of the form of Luiz/Kamara in the middle and McGinn/Bailey out wide. But once he got in, he stayed until he was injured and he’s been easily in our top 5 players this season. Baller. 

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Anyone I've quoted here, please don't see it as point scoring. I quickly ran through a couple of pages in September when the Belgian press had him angling for more game time whilst we were seeing him make a very slow start to his Villa career.

If I got upset whenever someone pointed out how wrong I am about things I'd never have got married!

Happy Youri has made me look a fool 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

More than happy to be proven wrong but man you need to get a life 

On a free transfer! I don't think any of us envisaged him to be quite this good an addition.

He's an absolute joy to watch. Wouldn't look out of place at City.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Aw I don’t think I ever really slate players so I’m bit gutted to have been reminded of that.

But I can’t make myself look weak by changing my mind so I’m going to stick my guns on this one - he’s shite.

Spoiler

He’s not. He’s sublime and probably one of my favourite players.

To be fair, he was Drinkwater (shudder) levels of crapness that night so I don’t think it was too unreasonable at the time but I’m still delighted to have been wrong and it’s now clear that he obviously wasn’t fully fit at the time. 

Delighted that he’s be so excellent for us.

• Haha 1

Just now, JB said:

Aw I don’t think I ever really slate players so I’m bit gutted to have been reminded of that.

But I can’t make myself look weak by changing my mind so I’m going to stick my guns on this one - he’s shite.

Reveal hidden contents

We all do it, to varying extents. I was miles out on Konsa when his form dipped. And McGinn.

I always believed in Bailey.

No real rhyme or reason behind either but I think it maybe depends how the team as a whole is performing at the time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Probably my most out there post... Rarely that far out. Unless it was Gerrard! 

All the usual suspects.

4PT6v3PQKG6Yg.webp

• Haha 2

Â