Youri Tielemans

thejoker

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I got to disagree with you here. DL is our best outfield player imo, you can argue McGinn, Torres, Konsa and Martinez are also far more consistent than Jacob. He's improved massively in the last couple of years and may well end up as the main boy in the future but I think he's a little way off that. He 100% a game changer though and is going to get better and better under Unai.

Should have put 'in my opinion' of course but Ramsey is a colossal miss on the left hand side. He was absolutely instrumental in us getting Europe at the end of last season and looked fantastic in his one game off the bench against Brighton. 

Youri looked great today, but he's not starting over Ramsey in a million years on that left hand side once JJ is fit.  

It's a testament to how good Emery has made us that we have two of our very best performers from last season out (Moreno and JJ) and we're sitting 5th after 12 games. Tantalizing prospect once we have these guys fit, and that's without Buendia and Mings!

• Like 2

Youri and Ramsey are completely different players tbf. Youri is better in tight spaces IMO. Ramsey still has room to improve in that area, but his explosiveness and ball carrying ability is like nothing else in the squad.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Should have put 'in my opinion' of course but Ramsey is a colossal miss on the left hand side. He was absolutely instrumental in us getting Europe at the end of last season and looked fantastic in his one game off the bench against Brighton. 

Youri looked great today, but he's not starting over Ramsey in a million years on that left hand side once JJ is fit.  

It's a testament to how good Emery has made us that we have two of our very best performers from last season out (Moreno and JJ) and we're sitting 5th after 12 games. Tantalizing prospect once we have these guys fit, and that's without Buendia and Mings!

I agree Jacob starts btw. 100%. 

I think your right he's a massive miss on that left hand side. however, we haven't really missed him as much as we should have so far because we've done fantastically well. He'll definitely improve us and our options and I agree that he's far more athletic and suited to that position on the left than Tielemans. 

• Like 1

Youri was very impressive today, loved his industry....him and McGinn had it ticking.

Great to see a new signing play like that.....Another option for Unai to ponder.

• Like 2

I just think its great, that these players...Tielemans, Bailey finding their form....it gives Unai so many options for plans and rotation.

Sure we will have players coming back and they are ALL a priority in this squad.

6 hours ago, Swerbs said:

Don’t know why but seemed to look a lot quicker yesterday.

And fitter. And generally more active. Whatever was holding him back earlier in the season (maybe took him a while to get motivated after last season getting him into some bad habits), seems to have thankfully lifted. 

Hopefully he keeps it up as on another day it was an easy man of the match performance from him again, but for McGinn being even better.

• Like 1

He had looked lethargic for both Leicester and for Villa, and so yesterday I kept thinking 'bloody hell, is that the same bloke?'.

Praise where it is due, he was excellent - I loved the block-tackle which started a Villa attack.

While Villa have a busy programme, when JJ returns, I am sure Emery will rotate them.

Tielemans had a great game and reminded me a lot of Buendia in his industry, his willingness to try things, to take players on, and the fact a few of his attempts didn't quite work out. Like a different player to his previous outings, and he was way more effective than Zaniolo has been down our left.  Not sure is he'll keep a fully fit Ramsey - he'd need to do that kind of thing consistently - but it's a nice problem to have and allows for rotation and injury cover.    

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

He had looked lethargic for both Leicester and for Villa, and so yesterday I kept thinking 'bloody hell, is that the same bloke?'.

Praise where it is due, he was excellent - I loved the block-tackle which started a Villa attack.

While Villa have a busy programme, when JJ returns, I am sure Emery will rotate them.

he played in a similar way vs AZ

• Like 2

Its great to be able to play 4 midfielders of the quality of Youri McGinn Kamara and Dougie together. Its the perfect mix of everything you could ever want. Pressing , tackling passing running shooting intelligence. And we still have JJ to come back.  Quality players like to play with quality players. Youri is no different.  He is getting used to playing a team game and being able to influence further up the pitch than he did at Leicester where it all went to Maddison and he played further back.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swerbs said:

Don’t know why but seemed to look a lot quicker yesterday.

He was looking MUCH more physically fit yesterday (and in midweek). The first press he did literally made me lean forward to double-check it was him 😂

Earlier in the season he was looking out of breath and rosey-cheeked after five minutes, but he looked like a different bloke yesterday. Finally at it again and it's to our benefit because a Youri Tielemans operating at anywhere over 90% of what he can is a great player to have.

On 12/11/2023 at 15:53, rodders0223 said:

Press monster like we all expected 

Covered some ground today boy.

Think he's got pretty good acceleration he's just not quick over long distances. In the shot spaces when pressing high up the pitch he looks good. 

23 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I agree on Zaniolo. He now has to get ahead of Tielemans and Ramsey. Emery clearly prefers Bailey from the bench too.

Can see Zaniolo struggling for minutes.

It's worth noting we will likely experience more injuries. We will also hopefully have FA Cup games, UECL Kncokout rounds and obviously prem games to be fighting on 3 fronts in after the new year. Zaniolo will still have to play a decent amount if only as part of a more conservative rotation scheme. It's also worth noting that I think zaniolo is probably not as good on the left. Perhaps next game zaniolo and Bailey play we'd see them swap sides maybe alternate through the game to keep the defence guessing. 

No, no, no! Don't get excited guys! Remember, the papers said he was unhappy about his lack of game time and was going to demand a transfer in January. Genuine ITK stuff. Oh that's right, it was just more rubbish in the media about the genuinely exceptional squad we are building here!

• Haha 1

Â