Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Don't wanna put a downer on it. But we have limped over the line with all our injuries, we need to spend around 200 mill to get anywhere near a trophy next season I would think.

Well that is a downer. And politely Sir/Madam/Them/They I disagree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't wanna put a downer on it. But we have limped over the line with all our injuries, we need to spend around 200 mill to get anywhere near a trophy next season I would think.

Scenes when people are having a meltdown about us not going full strength against Barnsley in the League Cup in preparation for Inter Milan 3 days later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So excited! After the three years of finishing 6th and being so close in the MON years it feels so good. My kids are 6th generation Villa fans and have lived through all the stick and poking fun from the sky six plastic fans. They’ve got their Mings and Watkins shirts all ready for tomorrow. Up the Villa!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Scenes when people are having a meltdown about us not going full strength against Barnsley in the League Cup in preparation for Inter Milan 3 days later.

Oh not Inter. Again.... ,)

Can we have the real Milan this time?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The petty, sad bitter person in me managed to think about Jack Grealish tonight.

I had to wonder/think it would/should mean more if you could have achieved this progress with " My Team, My Club " etc

The likes of McGinn have far superceded him for me in Villa folklore now.

( I'm fairness, without the 100 mill we probably don't have Leon etc but still food for thought )

Jack was on a different level in terms of excitement and popularity than any player we've had in the past 25 years. Probably have to go back to Yorke or even McGrath.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

If anybody has any doubt about winning things, watch this. 

Absolute legend in my eyes. Born winner with a work ethic that is so rare in any profession. I'll always be confident of doing well with that man at the helm. Proud of him and every one of the players UTV

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Jack was on a different level in terms of excitement and popularity than any player we've had in the past 25 years. Probably have to go back to Yorke or even McGrath.  

Probably isn't the time, but I'll say this carefully.

Jack was a very very good player. One of the most naturally talented players we had. The fact he was one of our own definitely added to his allure. He had 3 great seasons for us cumulatively. We sold him for a lot of money and reinvested most of it wisely (in the end). He in turn won a lot of trophies and broke through to the England setup properly due to the incumbent manager's 'Big 6' bias.

That's it. Anything else is just hyperbole and unnecessary obsession. He wasn't even the most naturally talented player we've had wear the shirt in the Premier League era (probably Merson, but you could make an argument for Young and others).

We're **** massive. He's moved on. Let it go :)

EDIT: Sorry @nepal_villan - that should have been in response to @JAMAICAN-VILLAN's original post, not yours.

Edited by Powehi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Richie k said:

Dr Tony said we would make champions league football within 10 years and he was right lol

Well, I hope he's either left whatever Chinese dungeon he got sent to a couple of years ago, or is at least able to find out how we've got on. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I disagree. We all knew back in February that Spurs were going to have that tough run of 5 games and it bore out as they lost all of them. 

Despite all the extra games in Europe that Spurs, Manure, Chelsea, Newcastle didn’t have, we beat them all through a superior coach and belief by the players.

We had an injury list as bad as any of them, the only difference is they used it as an excuse.

Do we have a lot of work to do to prepare for next season, absolutely. But I doubt we will have the same amount of injuries and have more players available to rotate the squad regularly Mings, Kamara, Buendía, Ramsey etc.

We will be a better team next season, I have no doubt.

Nice thing too is Kamara will be back at the end of the year so come January he’ll be a nice little boost as games start piling up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

From Wolves forum:

"They’ve done well . Let’s not ignore the fact they have probably breached FFP to do so though.

Shows what can happen if your best players stay fit. They probably finish 15th without Watkins.

Enjoy their 6 games , now 8 I think - and they’ll be back to 12th and out of Europe in no time."

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/have-villa-owners-more-ambition-than-the-wolves-owners.656823/page-25

The bitterness is crazy. They all seem convinced we have breached FFP. How come nobody but them has heard about it? It's amazing how football fans can rarely see past the tint of their respective lenses. Their squad is apparently about as good as ours. Which is quite a funny thing to say because they also seem to think we had a healthy squad all season and if we had as many injuries as them we'd be pretty close to each other.

Which I guess is fair enough, if you ignore the 3 ACLs to our 3 best players from last season and our 4th being out for 80% of the season. It's almost like we have a good squad that was able to cope with these injuries. At least you'd hope we do, considering we've had to breach FFP to build it right? Delusional dog heads.

• Like 1