Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because it would guarantee us Champions League and mean City would likely not win the title?

My mistake!

Edited by brommy
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because it would guarantee us Champions League and mean City would likely not win the title?

Sorry. I was thrown by the draw being fantastic, but no mention of City winning being fantastic. 

Posted (edited)

Just had a little read of the spurs forum and one poster posed the thought would Ange have answered the same way if he was asked about Celtic supporters wanting to lose in order to hinder Rangers. My feeling is he’d give a less bullish response.

To be honest, I am sympathetic that of course he can’t turn around and say “Yeah we’re setting up a for defeat!” But he’s come across a bit off in that press conference, a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

He could just smile, say “I get it, a large part of football is centred around rivalry and one-upmanship between supporters. But it’s also about winning and that’s how we’re approaching the game.”

Piece of piss.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, brommy said:

Not quite!

How so, would they give Ange an extra point for his plucky high line against City? They have 5 points to make up from 2 games, a draw renders it impossible for them to catch us.

Posted (edited)

My pessimistic side thinks spurs will win tonight and it comes down to the last day. There's just too much confidence now that it's automatic man city win tonight and when you do that, things go wrong for villa!

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 1

Spurs will go for it. But as we saw against Liverpool, they only started playing at 4-0 down and after Klopp messed his system up with 4 changes at once. Don’t think they had a shot on target until the 60 or so minute mark. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

We'd be 4 points ahead of them with one game to go. How would it not quite guarantee it?

Because in the stress of wanting CL football my brain was thinking about the only goal difference scenario that could see us missing out and that would be two big wins for spuds and us drawing at Palace.🤦

A draw tonight would indeed be good.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just had a little read of the spurs forum and one poster posed the thought would Ange have answered the same way if he was asked about Celtic supporters wanting to lose in order to hinder Rangers. My feeling is he’d give a less bullish response.

To be honest, I am sympathetic that of course he can’t turn around and say “Yeah we’re setting up a for defeat!” But he’s come across a bit off in that press conference, a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

He could just smile, say “I get it, a large part of football is centred around rivalry and one-upmanship between supporters. But it’s also about winning and that’s how we’re approaching the game.”

Piece of piss.

He just has a weird arrogance which is some ways is appealing and other ways idiotic.  It’s like when he couldn’t give a damn about set pieces, his take is just so weird on that subject.  He just has one view, his view, his way of playing and listens to nothing else.  That’s not a good recipe for the future of Spurs.  He may be successful in the coming years but with that way you know the end when it does come will be massive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Ange telling his own fans to get counselling if they don’t want to win is pure gold.  

He's right from a managerial stand point as of course, champions league is important to qualify for, but crikey, talk about how to endear yourself to a fan base 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This energy in this thread when trying to work out what needs to happen tonight.

IMG_4469.jpeg.a5f7d8e943b73319a14ba655bd49506f.jpeg

This is how I felt 3 months ago telling people Man Utd wouldn't finish anywhere near us :) 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My pessimistic side thinks spurs will win tonight and it comes down to the last day. There's just too much confidence now that it's automatic man city win tonight and when you do that, things go wrong for villa!

Thankfully we aren’t relying on Villa.  This is Man City, so my confidence is slightly higher.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Piece of piss.

He was basically asked the same question 3 or 4 times trying to get a reaction, can see why it gets a bit frustrating, but yeah, he should have just answered it once and shut that shit down in the follow up questions

• Like 1

Just now, brommy said:

Because in the stress of wanting CL football my brain was thinking about the only goal difference scenario that could see us missing out and that would be two big wins for spuds and us drawing at Palace.🤦

A draw tonight would indeed be good.

Easily done, I've done it before thinking point permutations are what they weren't and made the mistake of posting without checking the league. Sorry if my first reply came across snidey!

• Thanks 1