Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but they wouldn’t HAVE to win. And it would also mean Liverpool are technically still in the race

They wouldn't think like that. 

And Liverpool are already out of the title race.

• Like 1

“Our dream is as we said a few weeks ago when [Arsenal] lost against Aston Villa was to arrive in the last games with it in our hands, to play West Ham at home with the destiny belonging to us.”

Pep wants this wrapped up before the final game. He wants to win against Spurs. Any other answer is ignoring this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hasn't Rodri gone something ridiculous like 14 months without losing a game for club or country in 90 minutes?

Yep and wasn't even a nominee for player of the season but Haaland was...

• Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

That's not true, as we can influence the players by fully supporting the team and being positive.

But apparently this won’t apply to the Spurs game and the fact a lot of Spurs fans want City to win 😉 

Just messing mate. I know what you mean and hopefully fans give the players a big push tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Yep and wasn't even a nominee for player of the season but Haaland was...

Shocking that. Especially when VVD is a nominee. 

When a team as good as City can’t cope without you then you have to be a special player.  Thank god it’s available for Tuesday.

14 hours ago, omariqy said:

I’m gonna enjoy it regardless. I’ve been a bit drained by it all but after watching the boys on Thursday give it their all, I’m super proud of them and have belief in them. They need us, no doubt. Even if we get Europa, it’s ok for me. A competition we can actually win.

For precisely that reason, I would in many ways rather finish 5th. I know PSR dictates I'm not allowed to feel that way, but frankly I do. 

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

For precisely that reason, I would in many ways rather finish 5th. I know PSR dictates I'm not allowed to feel that way, but frankly I do. 

But we didn’t win the ECL and that was a trophy we could win.  We won the European Cup when we wasn’t supposed to. I’d rather be competing against the best teams because there is no guarantee of a cup and just like Dortmund this season, anything is possible.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

But we didn’t win the ECL and that was a trophy we could win.  We won the European Cup when we wasn’t supposed to. I’d rather be competing against the best teams because there is no guarantee of a cup and just like Dortmund this season, anything is possible.

We didn't win it, that's true, but we did get a lot further than we will in the Champions League. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We didn't win it, that's true, but we did get a lot further than we will in the Champions League. 

You just don’t know brother. All players back, a few additions in critical areas and it’s game on. Nick has a point if Dortmund can reach the final then sure as shit we can too with the quality in our squad if fully fit, firing and another season under Unai’s tutelage. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A draw for Spurs and it's still very much in our hands. Indeed we'll wrap up 4th if we match what they do v Man. City by getting the same result v Liverpool.

If we lose by a goal v Liverpool and they draw v Man. City then you're still talking about a seven goal swing needed on the final day so we'd still be in a very good position.

A seven goal swing (if that's what it  would need to be on the final day) isn't that crazy given the teams involved in both ours' and Spurs' fixtures: We've been conceding a pretty alarming number of goals in recent times and Palace are scoring for fun and don't look to be easing up even though they've nothing really to play for. And in the other game, Spurs are playing a relegated Sheff Utd who've shipped OVER 100 GOALS this season and have conceded three or more in 8 of their last 13 games. The nightmare scenario would be that we're trying to minimize the margin of defeat while Spurs are going for a fourth or fifth or whatever that would overturn the goal difference! 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So why not try it in the CL than Europa if we had a choice (ignoring money).

15 hours ago, tomav84 said:

don't know any spurs fans i guess? i know many. every one of them wants them to lose tuesday.

Everyone is a bit of a sweeping statement.  Players personal pride counts for more I think.  

7 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

A seven goal swing (if that's what it  would need to be on the final day) isn't that crazy given the teams involved in both ours' and Spurs' fixtures: We've been conceding a pretty alarming number of goals in recent times and Palace are scoring for fun and don't look to be easing up even though they've nothing really to play for. And in the other game, Spurs are playing a relegated Sheff Utd who've shipped OVER 100 GOALS this season and have conceded three or more in 8 of their last 13 games. The nightmare scenario would be that we're trying to minimize the margin of defeat while Spurs are going for a fourth or fifth or whatever that would overturn the goal difference! 

That's a bit negative isn't it. Okay Palace are in good form but so were Arsenal.  I think if the chips are down we have one good performance left in us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Everyone is a bit of a sweeping statement.  Players personal pride counts for more I think.  

i meant every one of the spurs fans i know

i agree that players will want to win

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That's a bit negative isn't it. Okay Palace are in good form but so were Arsenal.  I think if the chips are down we have one good performance left in us.

If these next two games were happening even a few weeks ago then I'd be confident of getting 3-6 points from them, but look how knackered we are and how thin the options on the bench are now... As much faith as I have in these players and this manager under normal circumstances, I just can't see us having enough energy to win either game at the moment.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

If these next two games were happening even a few weeks ago then I'd be confident of getting 3-6 points from them, but look how knackered we are and how thin the options on the bench are now... As much faith as I have in these players and this manager under normal circumstances, I just can't see us having enough energy to win either game at the moment.

I don't either to be honest. Better for us of Arsenal win today. Put pressure on City to win at spurs. 

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

For about 10% of the money we would  make in the CL

sadly the money is what we need to compete in the first instance , we can always settle on the Europa in a few years 

• Like 1

The extra revenue from Champions League (TV money, better commercial deals and prize for winning it 😙) will enable us to build a sustainable squad of quality players that is more likely to win things. We all want trophies and these will hopefully have more chance of coming with regular CL qualification.  

• Like 2