Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, allani said:

Liverpool now out of the title race.  A 0-0 bore draw on Monday would be ideal.

BBC haven't updated their league table.  So a 0-0 isn't as ideal as a 1-0 home win but would still be a very good result.

Spurs will draw with city and we’ll lose next two. They will also beat Sheff Utd quite comfortably. They’ll go above us on GD I reckon. 

• Haha 2

Even if we do end up at 5th it has still been a good season. I know we looked dead in our feet but hoping the team serves up some magic like they did Vs Arse a few weeks ago when no one gave us a chance at the time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, grobs said:

They don’t they can draw if we lose both games our GD will be lower than theirs I assure you 

I’m not so sure you can be so assured that their GD will be better than ours…

Edited by thefeet1980
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, calcifer said:

This is where I am, we are running on empty, lads have given everything, with the injuries as well we just need to keep the score down in the Liverpool game. If we come away with a 1-0 loss then that's a good result.

Stress less if City play at 60% they’ll put 3 past this Spuds team. After watching the City performance there’s not one shred of doubt that we’ll be Champions league bound. 

• Like 4

Just now, Tayls said:

Spurs will draw with city and we’ll lose next two. They will also beat Sheff Utd quite comfortably. They’ll go above us on GD I reckon. 

Not. A. Chance.

If I'm wrong then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but I do not see Spurs overtaking us on GD, and I also don't see Man City losing or drawing on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

On the night when we can qualify for the CL, in our final home match of an amazing season, you would throw the game? 

This thread has officially lost the plot.

I just dont think its throwing the game to let a fee that are too tired to be effective be replaced by skilled and motivated players that were on the bench and played in greece.   I would rather be more sure of 4th and think palace is the much greater likelihood of a win.  

you can disagree, thate quire reasonable.  but i think you mischaracterized my thinking 

9 minutes ago, Daweii said:

We are still statistically favourites for 4th.

We win one of our next two games then it's nailed on.

If we don't win either of our next two games then Spurs need to;

• Win all three of their remaining games.
  • Win two, draw one, and overturn their goal difference.

If Spurs lose just one game in their final three games then we finish the season 4th. 

Spurs face Man City on Tuesday and we likely know how that's going to go. 

I would love for Villa to finish 4th on their own terms, but it's as good as nailed on already as I don't see Spurs winning all three of their remaining games this season. 

Spurs only have two games left, don’t they?

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

Not. A. Chance.

If I'm wrong then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but I do not see Spurs overtaking us on GD, and I also don't see Man City losing or drawing on Tuesday. 

If what he says happens or Spurs even beat City ill never comment on football again! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

They'll probably have to beat Sheffield United by at least five goals.

I know they're a very poor team but I just don't think Spurs have enough about them in the final third to do that. In the first three months yes (and even then they only beat Sheffield United 2-1 with two very late goals in September).

We just need to avoid losing these games by 2 or 3 goal margins so this is where Unai has to make us really compact especially in central midfield where it's too easy for teams to play through us currently.

Just now, briny_ear said:

Spurs only have two games left, don’t they?

Yes. I was counting their game today as their three.

Two more wins for Spurs without us winning will seal it for them, but Man City are going to smash them, so it's fine. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I just dont think its throwing the game to let a fee that are too tired to be effective be replaced by skilled and motivated players that were on the bench and played in greece.   I would rather be more sure of 4th and think palace is the much greater likelihood of a win.  

you can disagree, thate quire reasonable.  but i think you mischaracterized my thinking 

We have 2 games. We may need to win ONE of them. We cannot afford to give up on one of those games and put all our eggs in one basket. That is just crazy.

Especially as Palace are the form team in the league outside the top 2.

Plus there is a reason those bench players aren't playing despite the 1st 11 being shattered. It's because Emery doesn't believe they aren't good enough and I absolutely agree.

Edited by GlobalVillan

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Just out of interest, how many times has our season been over so far this season? How many times have you predicted that we wouldn't get the required results to stay in the race for CL, or even qualify for Europe again etc. etc.

I seem to remember there were a few people during the relatively bad string of results post beating City and Arsenal on the bounce in the winter that wrote us off as far back as that.

• Like 1