Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I think we’re on the cusp of something greater with absolutely zero guarantee that it occurs. Thats why winning something is so huge - it simply doesn’t happen often at all.

It’s happened twice for Villa in my lifetime (a 3rd rate trophy on both counts, too!) and those moments were amazing. I remember the goals so vividly compared to basically anything else that I’ve watched (some exclusions; the 3-2 win at Goodison is etched in my memory as is beating Ajax at Villa Park with Laursen scoring for some reason). That’s the absolute joy in watching football - the chance to win something.

I think there’s every chance we finish top 4 this season and don’t next season. There’s no guarantee it continually happens - just look at Newcastle.

But then I’m also pretty old school and would have low ticket prices and improved staffing at the ground so the whole experience is far more affordable - particularly in the current economic climate. I understand this is SHA mentality rather than accounting 101, but football should be about the fans; not the money. 

Ok that’s fair enough, and I’m guessing many share the same sentiments.

Emery could leave, Martinez could go.  And we could take a nose dive.

You're right in what you say, I suppose a lot depends on how you feel where we are as a club

1 hour ago, bcarpet said:

there seems to have been endless pages on people arguing whether its better to finish 4th or win the conference league - I really don't understand why it can't be both?

I would even say it SHOULD be both. I’m very pessimistic, have my bet on Spurs for the emotional hedge, etc. But even I can say we should (should!) get over the line at 7 points ahead with 2/3 to play - and I’d say we SHOULD be able to beat Olympiacos by two goals and be the stronger team in the final.

Now I’ve been a Villa fan too long to expect both - but I agree there’s no need to choose :)

I'd prefer to win the EUCL trophy AND qualify for UCL.  But if I had to pick one- give me UCL money every day and twice on Sunday.  Yes I'd love to win a trophy now.  But long term UCL is better:

1.  Allows AVFC to improve the overall squad- better players, better depth, etc etc.

2. An improved overall squad will make AVFC much more competitive in domestic cup runs- which will improve our chances to win League or FA Cup- which have European ties if we falter in the League.

That is my rationale and how I foresee Villa winning a trophy or 2 in the next 5yrs.  I see us winning a Cup or 2, maybe a European trophy thru cup entry if we don't finish top4 one year.  I have full faith that UE will get us silverware- thats why I'm not bothered about EUCL this year and focused on UCL qualification.  UTV

• Like 2

Build a strong squad with Champions league money  and then get some luck with injuries, we could challenge for the title in a couple of seasons once City have been relegated. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Top 20 in the deloitte football finance rankings...you'll never sing that 

I’m gobsmacked by the short sightedness of some fans.

Make as much fun as you want.  

Take what I’m saying out of context if you want.

But being in the Deloitte top 20 financial rankings brings with it safety from the kind of plans that would have left us behind if the European League had to come into existence. Laugh as much as you want at spurs not winning anything, but at least they were invited to THE party.

But hey! At least you could be saying ‘oh but remember we won the third tier of European club competition 30 years ago?’ when having an argument with SHA fans. ‘What a day!’

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thug said:

But being in the Deloitte top 20 financial rankings brings with it safety from the kind of plans that would have left us behind if the European League had to come into existence. Laugh as much as you want at spurs not winning anything, but at least they were invited to THE party.

But hey! At least you could be saying ‘oh but remember we won the third tier of European club competition 30 years ago?’ when having an argument with SHA fans. ‘What a day!’

Don't worry I understand both sides of the argument. My view is we can do both. I dont know why we bother arguing about it. We don't get to choose which one we want. We are going full throttle for both. Rightly so. Whatever way it lands then it lands. I'm old school so I'd prefer a trophy. There's no guarantee that getting top 4 does anything for us. The revenue gap is insurmountable imo. Even 2/3 years of champions league doesn't plug the gap. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Thug said:

Emery could leave, 

Well placed sources said that Bayern approached him a few weeks ago and that was one of the main reasons his contract extension by one year was announced. I don't think he will be leaving anytime soon. He has total control at villa, he won't get that anywhere better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

If the party happens again and we’re invited, I hope we tell the party to **** off.

Football isn’t (or shouldn’t be) about money. It’s shit having theoretical discussions over FFP and how selling youth players is better et al.

It isn’t shortsightedness, it’s just not football. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

For me - qualifying for the UCL is the equivalent of getting on the podium in the Olympics or F1

We talking in a good way or Steve Bradbury sort of way lol

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

c) Aston Villa finish 4th, win the ECL and then win everything available to them for ever more.

Not hard to see I prefer c).

giphy.gif

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

For me - qualifying for the UCL is the equivalent of getting on the podium in the Olympics or F1

That’s good isn’t it?  After not even being invited to the event for decades, to get to the podium is good? Then with the goal of repeating or aiming for gold in the future?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s good isn’t it?  After not even being invited to the event for decades, to get to the podium is good? Then with the goal of repeating or aiming for gold in the future?

Yes - I see it as a positive. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Thug said:

Spoilt brat entitlement?

I understand the want to win silverware, but remember YOU framed it as either or.

The money gained from being IN the champions league, the players attracted by being IN the champions league, the increase in the clubs profile by being IN the champions league completely eclipses the ‘won a European trophy no one gives two **** about’ argument. Stinks of SHA mentality.

I want Villa to succeed.  I want what’s best for Aston Villa.  I can see the long term benefit of being in the champions league over winning the conference cup.  You, on the other hand, want some shitty trophy you can crack one off over.

Calling people ‘spoilt brats’ over seeing sense.  One could argue that YOU, sir, are the spoilt brat - short sighted, and placing your own desires above what is good for the club.

I’ll take both.  But if I had to choose - it would be the champions league every single time.

I would dissect almost every word of this absolute drivel but I'm pleasantly surprised that many people already have. I really wish you knew how terribly you come across with this post or how unbelievably ignorant you are. But explaining why would a complete waste of time. You'd never understand.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Haha 1

To clarify my earlier post, I obviously want us to do both, win the cup and finish top 4. But league should always be the priority and if the league isn't going well, as in say 93-94 or 97-98 focus on a cup run. If flying on all cylinders chase both as in 95-96 or 23-24!

3 hours ago, Thug said:

Nonsense.

whats best for Aston Villa is generating cash.

Whats best for YOU is us winning a trophy.

Even in this modern football climate, it's unbelievable that someone could say something this out loud and (supposedly) mean it. I cannot believe we have fans like this walking amongst us at Aston Villa.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What are we even arguing about and why???

Can’t we just enjoy this season and just get along?

We haven’t even achieved anything yet and why do we have to discount or sacrifice one achievement/success for another? Although CL qualification seems more likely than the ECL trophy but… do you want to bet against us?

The squabbling is childish.

Best season we’ve had in such a long time… makes little sense to be anything other than appreciative and feeling fortunate and enjoying the entertainment we have been given…

look where we have come from and the amount of misery and decline we had to endure… a bit of humbleness, class and appreciation (qualities our manager regularly shows) would go a long way and separate us from some of the more appalling fanbases out there…

We are blessed to have King Unai… May he reign supreme for as long as possible!

UTV 💜💙

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well said. I mean, four years ago we were wondering if the league cup final would impact our survival chances. five years ago we were trying to get promoted via the playoffs.

We have come a long way. UTV

Edited by Captain_Townsend
Typos
  • Thanks 1