Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Today's performance wasn't just about being tired, Emery had them playing in a certain way to try and conserve energy with Thursday in mind, which happens to be a massive game for the club, it's what we've been doing for a while when we have Thursday and weekend matches, we didn't manage to get a result today whilst doing it, but if it means we manage to turn the semi-final around then frankly it will have been worth it.

Bang on. 

Strong favourites, but I hate seeing comments saying "it's done"! Always feel it could come back to bite you in the ar3e.

Earlier this season...

Burnley 2-5 Spurs. 

Spurs 2-1 Sheff Utd.

Man City 3-3 Spurs.

So they are still easily capable of getting 7 points, from the return fixtures poor form or not. 

We lost to Liverpool 3-0 (albeit at Anfield) and beat Palace, but we were 1-0 down till the 87th minute and 1-1 until 90+8 or something daft, so both tough fixtures given our current form/fatigue/injuries etc.

Although GD is in our favour, Burnley are -35 and Sheff U are -65, this is why some are worried it could be clawed back.

Also, before city's fa cup win, Spurs had beaten City the last 5 times at home with City not scoring, so again, not beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen again.

Look, I'm very hopeful, and would not swap our position with theirs (I'll be lumping some money on Spurs just to do my bit - always lose 😅) just wish we had done the business today 🙃

UTV 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So true. City could easily lose out on the title by drawing against a spurs team that just lost 4 in a row and conceded over 10 goals. 

Top 4 still in the balance lads. 🥱 

And yet spurs drew 3-3 away at city this season on the back of losing 3 in a row where they conceeded 8.

Add to that Spurs have also beaten City at home in the league every year for the past 5 seasons but this year they have no chance...

Since we have been back in the prem this is citys league record against spurs. P9 W2 D2 L5

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get the detail. I just think every Villa fan should be saluting what our squad have done and stop moaning like bitches. 

I'll.moan till we secure 4th.

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

And yet spurs drew 3-3 away at city this season on the back of losing 3 in a row where they conceeded 8.

Add to that Spurs have also beaten City at home in the league every year for the past 5 seasons but this year they have no chance...

Since we have been back in the prem this is citys league record against spurs. P9 W2 D2 L5

Different managers, different players, different circumstances.

We've also beat Liverpool 7-2 at Villa Park, so have nothing to worry about then. 😉

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

One thing I will say is, what a night next Monday will be at Villa Park, under the lights, if we beat Liverpool to secure Champions League football, would be one of the greatest times as a Villa fan 🙏 

I wish I could be there but you'll probably hear me celebrating if we beat Liverpool from Brighouse 😂

Edited by VillaPilgrim
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, useless said:

Today's performance wasn't just about being tired, Emery had them playing in a certain way to try and conserve energy with Thursday in mind, which happens to be a massive game for the club, it's what we've been doing for a while when we have Thursday and weekend matches, we didn't manage to get a result today whilst doing it, but if it means we manage to turn the semi-final around then frankly it will have been worth it.

Very sensible take 

48 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Strong favourites, but I hate seeing comments saying "it's done"! Always feel it could come back to bite you in the ar3e.

Earlier this season...

Burnley 2-5 Spurs. 

Spurs 2-1 Sheff Utd.

Man City 3-3 Spurs.

So they are still easily capable of getting 7 points, from the return fixtures poor form or not. 

We lost to Liverpool 3-0 (albeit at Anfield) and beat Palace, but we were 1-0 down till the 87th minute and 1-1 until 90+8 or something daft, so both tough fixtures given our current form/fatigue/injuries etc.

Although GD is in our favour, Burnley are -35 and Sheff U are -65, this is why some are worried it could be clawed back.

Also, before city's fa cup win, Spurs had beaten City the last 5 times at home with City not scoring, so again, not beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen again.

Look, I'm very hopeful, and would not swap our position with theirs (I'll be lumping some money on Spurs just to do my bit - always lose 😅) just wish we had done the business today 🙃

UTV 

Spurs we’re on fire earlier in the season… this Spurs, not so…

1 hour ago, useless said:

It’s true we have been playing this way for a while, but it would only be worth it if you consider reaching a final of the conference league to be a better achievement than making the champions league. As a coach Emery is clearly trying to achieve both (understandably), but, in my opinion, today’s game should have taken precedence over next Thursday. We should have gone all out to win today.

45 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Only 1 of those was Angeball... mate

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Spurs are in the top 4 race like Liverpool are in the title race.

Liverpool are 750-1 for the title

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Having had time to reflect I can't deny that like the rest of us I'm disappointed as my hope from today was obviously that we'd win and Spurs would lose and it would be all tied up. Pretty much second prize though was that we didn't concede any ground to them and we haven't. In fact we've gained a +1 in terms of GD. 

We could have won today and so could have Spurs and we'd still be in the position we are now but I'd say that would have been a worse outcome as it would have meant Spurs had halted a win less run and gained confidence from beating Liverpool. As it is they go into their next game against Burnley, who also have to go all out for a win, having lost four on the spin and in doing so having conceded 13 goals.

I get the pessimism from some of us as it is also a defense mechanism but there is also no dressing it up Spurs are in dire form and it is going to be some going to turn that around and take 7 or 9 points from their next 3 games having only taken 7 points from their last 8 games and 0 points from their last 4. 

Excellent post. Re the middle paragraph, I still think the idea that Spurs are sure to roll over Burnley is too confident. Yes, Burnley got a shoeing from Newcastle the other day, but then again so did Spurs a couple of weeks back. Before that Burnley were in decent form, and as you say they'll be scrapping for their lives. Not to say they won't probably win, but it's far from guaranteed. 

• Like 2