Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Defended the management with fully fit squad in a relegation battle under the embarrassing Gerrard reign

Down to the bare bones in greatest season in 30 years, nah players should have turned up

Why even reply to this one game reply nonsense mate ? These posters only seem to post when we lose. 

• Thanks 2

Why are people talking as if we aren't going to win another game, total disrespect to Emery, we've just lost to Brighton and Olympiacos, we could well lose to Olympiacos again bcause they have a two goal advantage, so that will be three defeats in a row, but we aren't going to end the season with five defeats in a row or whatever, Emery doesn't let this happen, we will get at least three points from Liverpool and Palace, maybe more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, useless said:

Why are people talking as if we aren't going to win another game, total disrespect to Emery, we've just lost to Brighton and Olympiacos, we could well lose to Olympiacos again bcause they have a two goal advantage, so that will be three defeats in a row, but we aren't going to end the season with five defeats in a row or whatever, Emery doesn't let this happen, we will get at least three points from Liverpool and Palace, maybe more

Because they are ungrateful words removed that moan all season long and don’t deserve this manger and squad. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We're more likely to finish top four now than we were this morning, on the same points relative to Spurs, but now one less game for them to catch us. We have three chances to seal Champions League Qualification in the next nine days, Burnley beating Spurs, us beating Liverpool, or Manchester City beating Spurs 🕯️🕯️🕯️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Having had time to reflect I can't deny that like the rest of us I'm disappointed as my hope from today was obviously that we'd win and Spurs would lose and it would be all tied up. Pretty much second prize though was that we didn't concede any ground to them and we haven't. In fact we've gained a +1 in terms of GD. 

We could have won today and so could have Spurs and we'd still be in the position we are now but I'd say that would have been a worse outcome as it would have meant Spurs had halted a win less run and gained confidence from beating Liverpool. As it is they go into their next game against Burnley, who also have to go all out for a win, having lost four on the spin and in doing so having conceded 13 goals.

I get the pessimism from some of us as it is also a defense mechanism but there is also no dressing it up Spurs are in dire form and it is going to be some going to turn that around and take 7 or 9 points from their next 3 games having only taken 7 points from their last 8 games and 0 points from their last 4. 

Just over three weeks ago they were going to Newcastle. If they'd won that day they'd have gone three clear of us with still a game in hand and would've put enormous pressure on us at Arsenal to get something. We've done very well to quickly restore a commanding lead back over them and they haven't coped with that pressure in the games they've since played (after having their feet up for two weeks).

There is a real entitlement creeping into this thread probably due to how well we've done for pretty much the whole season. It would be a completely different mentality if we were coming up on the rear like this time last season.

Can see it getting worse next season if we get flat league performances straight after draining CL games earlier in the season as that will be far more demanding on our squad than the Conference league has been.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are people talking as if we aren't going to win another game, total disrespect to Emery

For me it’s just because it’s a squad clearly running on fumes. They’ve been brilliant all season but they need a rest. Just a handful of games until they can have one… hopefully four not three, but I can’t blame them for being out on their feet!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

For me it’s just because it’s a squad clearly running on fumes. They’ve been brilliant all season but they need a rest. Just a handful of games until they can have one… hopefully four not three, but I can’t blame them for being out on their feet!

People were saying we were on fumes before Arsenal game as well, you never know, we clearly need Tielemans back to restore some balance tho 

Calmed down now. 

We are 4th, 7 points clear and all the odds point to we will do it (get top 4).

An amazing achievement in itself if we had a fully fit squad, but christ almighty. Emery has worked wonders. 

We look tired, sloppiness creeping in everywhere and most fans (me included) have differing opinions on the performances/efforts of individuals. 

I gave Olsen absolute pelters as I thought his performance on thursday cost us. I still believe that to a degree but credit where due, he was excellent today. 

I've seen online Cash has had to block villafans on his socials because of the abuse. This isnt going to get us over the line. 

They are all **** and habe had to focus on 3 or four different roles across the season cus of injuries (mcginn, konsa etc). 

Gotta just get behind them and what will be will be. One last push

• Like 1

Today's performance wasn't just about being tired, Emery had them playing in a certain way to try and conserve energy with Thursday in mind, which happens to be a massive game for the club, it's what we've been doing for a while when we have Thursday and weekend matches, we didn't manage to get a result today whilst doing it, but if it means we manage to turn the semi-final around then frankly it will have been worth it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because they are ungrateful words removed that moan all season long and don’t deserve this manger and squad. 

I don't think we will win another game but I'm not sure I'd say I'm an ungrateful moaning word removed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just over three weeks ago they were going to Newcastle. If they'd won that day they'd have gone three clear of us with still a game in hand and would've put enormous pressure on us at Arsenal to get something. We've done very well to quickly restore a commanding lead back over them and they haven't coped with that pressure in the games they've since played (after having their feet up for two weeks).

There is a real entitlement creeping into this thread probably due to how well we've done for pretty much the whole season. It would be a completely different mentality if we were coming up on the rear like this time last season.

Can see it getting worse next season if we get flat league performances straight after draining CL games earlier in the season as that will be far more demanding on our squad than the Conference league has been.

Expectation levels bound to rise the more successful we are. Putting it all into perspective, its an unbelievable effort and season

1 minute ago, useless said:

Today's performance wasn't just about being tired, Emery had them playing in a certain way to try and conserve energy with Thursday in mind, which happens to be a massive game for the club, it's what we've been doing for a while when we have Thursday and weekend matches, we didn't manage to get a result today whilst doing it, but if it means we manage to turn the semi-final around then frankly it will have been worth it.

All calculated risks which Emery is a master at

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When we have a squad that should be finishing top 4. I’ll agree with the points you made.

But they currently are in 4th place, and if they finish in 4th place, that's exactly where they should be, and on merit. But they could be in 3rd place or even higher had we exploited those opportunities more. And Spurs, United and Chelsea could all be a bit further back. In recent years, Man City and Liverpool have mastered this aspect of taking advantage of the big moments when the pressure really ramps up. Arsenal are trying to prove that they've mastered it too. And this critique is not meant to underrate the incredible turnaround Emery has achieved or the achievements of the players. They have all been a revelation. But there are still things to improve, and all I'm doing is acknowledging what one of those things is. And I trust Emery to make those improvements over the duration of his tenure with the club, because he is becoming an elite manager before our very eyes.

Edited by maqroll

We need to play with far more tempo on Thursday.

If we just plod along for the first hour then we're just wasting our own time.

Interested to see what Emery does given the limited options in many areas of the pitch.

I don't think we have enough momentum currently in our play to turn around a two goal deficit away from home.

However we still should have enough momentum to get what we need from the final two prem games to confirm 4th. If we need any more points of course.

• Like 1

All in all, a decent weekend. Blues get relegated and we gain +1 GD on Spurs while moving a small step closer to securing 4th place.

We don't play Liverpool until Monday night which helps a bit.  Spurs have Burnley before thst so will hsve to see what transpires there. 

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow, ridiculous take.