Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

The spurs boo boys will be out in full force at HT I expect.

I enjoy reading their forum. The hate is real.

Saw some of that on our forum yesterday after Chelsea result - I'm going to be disappointed if we start behaving like entitled Spurs fans as we continue to ascend.

I was a bit annoyed at us playing first leg at home against Olympiakos. (Spelling?!)

However, maybe, just maybe, pushing the travelling back a week will help us. If we can get a win next weekend, (aided by no travelling for Thursdays game), coupled with Spurs having to play two difficult games in a week, it might just be all over by next Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Correct. 

If they lose to Chelsea on Thursday, don't beat Liverpool and we win at Brighton then it's done

Just to clarify my own point...

That'd leave the table at

Villa 36 70

Spurs 35 61

We'd mathematically need a point, but goal difference would be hugely in our favour. That's before Spurs needing to beat Man City

• Like 1

Well the first half couldn't have gone much better! Worst case scenario is that spurs scrape a point, but even then that's a long shot. Hopefully arsenal get a few more goals to extend our goal difference advantage.

Edited by Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I enjoy reading their forum. The hate is real.

Saw some of that on our forum yesterday after Chelsea result - I'm going to be disappointed if we start behaving like entitled Spurs fans as we continue to ascend.

Not a fan of Spurs fans either but that's what you get when you've had a relatively successful period and are established as a Big Six team.

I want us to stay humble too but we will become more expectant as a fanbase as we become a top team. Yesterday my moans were more around how we retained the ball than the actual result. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

The other wonderful thing is that Liverpools title chances should be mathematically shot by the time we play them. 

Spurs play them too 

It is always tricky at this time of year in terms of whether playing teams with something left to play for is bad or good (bad in that they will be motivated and keen to fight for everything, good in that maybe the pressure of the situation will get to them and inhibit their performance) or playing teams with nothing to play for is good or bad (are they already on the beach or are they free from any pressure and going to play uninhibited "gung-ho" football).

But I do think that is going to play a part.

SPURS v Arsenal - Arsenal know that this is possibly the biggest game of the season for them.  Win and it strengthens their chances of holding off City, lose and you'd think that the title is City's to lose.

Chelsea v SPURS - Chelsea have to win to entertain any thoughts of being able to challenge Man Utd for 6th.  Lose and they've got pretty much no chance of European football next season.

VILLA v Brighton - Brighton's only mission now would be to try and finish top half.

Liverpool v SPURS - it will probably still be mathematically possible for Liverpool to finish 1st or 2nd (depending on other results) but defeat will likely end their season.

SPURS v Burnley - Burnley will almost certainly need a result in order to stay in the relegation fight going into the last weekend.

VILLA v Liverpool - obviously this depends massively on other results but the likelihood is that probably Liverpool can only finish 3rd.  But it could still be a must win game for them to have an outside chance of a higher finish.

SPURS v Man City - City will almost certainly need to win to either secure the title or take the title fight down to the last match of the season.

Palace v VILLA - I can't see Palace having anything to play for.

Sheffield Utd v SPURS - Sheffield already down and will be bottom.

So there is a massive difference in the games left in terms of what the opposition potentially have to play for.

I wrote this post at about 10.30 this morning but for some reason it didn't post.  So some of it might seem off given that Arsenal are currently smashing Spurs.  Goal difference variance is currently +8 in our favour.

• Like 1

We need one more win.

we are effectively 8 ahead due to GD on points.

after today spurs can get a maximum of 15 points…..

we need one more win people. 

• Like 1

Spurs 72-% possession , does this mean Arsenal are shit too? They’re far ahead of us in development. A few more seasons of Unai and we’ll be shithousing ourselves to 28% possession victories. But like at Chelsea last season.