Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

That point was a good one last night, we didn't deserve any so it's a bonus. 

Maybe if we were trying to win the league things would look different but we should be happy with the points haul over these last few games as it's on target to get 4th place. 

• Like 2

image.png.40653398b8a7f1712c06ebbd4bf3eab2.png

For those that like rolling averages.... our lowest 3 point haul was three points, when we lost to Newcastle, Beat Shef Utd, then lost to Man U. If we do that again or better we'll be on 70 points plus. That could be too much of a gap for Spurs to bridge depending on their result tonight...

Edited by ben1505
  • Like 1

also worth pointing out that spurs have to play on thursday and sunday with both games being away which they aren't used to this season unlike us who are used to playing thursday and sunday.

I'm actually worried about the palace game. They might have nothing to play for but they have looked great recently. Better than brighton + liverpool. Hopefully we have top 4 secured before the last match.

Edited by TheMightyVillans
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

I think some of the wild overreactions are being driven by a feverish desperation to qualify for the UCL on the basis that it’s the promised land and will suddenly transform the club and and team into a title chasing outfit.

Qualifying one year for the UCL is not a magic bullet. We have living proof this season from Newcastle.

The way we transform this club is by getting behind Unai and the lads for every game and enjoying the process/challenge. The players and staff will learn and level up as they go. There’s no rush here. Of course I want us to hit 4th this season but if we’re in Europa we should be grateful and there are upsides. It’s another great opportunity for a European trophy next season and a great learning experience. Im so glad we’ve had conference this year as preparation.

As much as I want us to get 4th place and qualify for the UCL this season, how good would it be to win conference this season, Europa next and UCL the season after?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

As much as I want us to get 4th place and qualify for the UCL this season, how good would it be to win conference this season, Europa next and UCL the season after?!

Remember Mourinho’s Porto went Europa and UCL back to back. It can be done 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Lets win the Conference League first. 😁

Yeah that’s the other thing that makes me nervous. Everyone’s just assumed we’re winning the conference from day 1 😅 Given the teams we’ve faced I’ll consider it a Europa level achievement if we manage it

• Like 1

Obviously I would love Villa to qualify for the Champions League but I’m kinda at the point where if Spurs do finish above us from here then you gotta hold your hands up and say fair play. 

Normally after throwing a 2-0 lead I’d be annoyed but Chelsea should have won last night and we were lucky to get a point. Squad have given us the best season in ages and we have lived up to the pre-season dark horses tag.

Before I had Brighton/Liverpool games as losses but I’m actually confident we can get 4 points at least from our last three games which should just about be enough as I see Spurs finishing on 70. 

Edited by RichW
  • Like 1

Whether last night was a point gained or two lost will depend on Spurs result today. If they win then it’s likely City have nothing to play for against them in the penultimate game. That would mean Spurs would more than likely get at least another 12 points.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Whether last night was a point gained or two lost will depend on Spurs result today. If they win then it’s likely City have nothing to play for against them in the penultimate game. That would mean Spurs would more than likely get at least another 12 points.

Think it’s ideal for us Arsenal play before Man City today. If it was the reverse order and Man City were to slip up then you’d sense Arsenal would all of a sudden get excited and maybe feel the pressure a bit. 

This is the game which everybody sees as the big test to their title credentials. If they win today you get the feeling they are running Man City to the last day.

16 hours ago, meregreen said:

If we win the conference, would that still make a fifth spot for England possible.

CoFC goes marching on!

On 19/04/2024 at 08:30, fightoffyour said:

I was going to say you're not quite right but it seems that every time I check the current totals the guy finds some more points for Germany down the back of the sofa:

Current Totals: England 17.375. Germany 17.928

But, Villa win both legs in the SFs, draw the other, go through and win the final => (2 + 2 + 1 + 2) = 0.875 points.

Leverkusen draw both legs, ending the season technically unbeaten, but go out on penalties; Bayern lose both legs; Dortmund also lose both legs => (1 + 1)/7 = 0.286 points.

Final Totals: England 18.250. Germany 18.241

OR

Villa win one leg in the SFs, draw the other, go through and win the final => (2 + 1 + 1 + 2) = 0.75 points.

Leverkusen draw one leg, lose the other; Bayern lose both legs; Dortmund also lose both legs => 1/7 = 0.143 points.

Final Totals: England 18.125. Germany 18.071

CoFC goes marching on!

8nar22.jpg

24 minutes ago, RichW said:

Obviously I would love Villa to qualify for the Champions League but I’m kinda at the point where if Spurs do finish above us from here then you gotta hold your hands up and say fair play. 

Normally after throwing a 2-0 lead I’d be annoyed but Chelsea should have won last night and we were lucky to get a point. Squad have given us the best season in ages and we have lived up to the pre-season dark horses tag.

Before I had Brighton/Liverpool games as losses but I’m actually confident we can get 4 points at least from our last three games which should just about be enough as I see Spurs finishing on 70. 

If spurs get wins vs arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool then fair play to them

I think they'll get 4 points at best putting them on 35 played 64 points, 2 wins from the final 3 means 70 points total 

Means we'd need 4 points from our final 3 games 

With the fixtures we've both got it could be exciting when neither of us reach 70 points...

Last night's point could prove to be a vital one. It gives us a 7 point gap over Spurs and I suspect a point is the very best that they will get against an Arsenal side, that will be handing the title to Manchester City, should they do anything less than win today and against Chelsea in mid-week (assuming they are as up for that one, as they seem to be when they come to Villa Park this season). I love the way the pundits are seeing last night's result as an opportunity for Spurs to take fourth, I'm thinking that it has actually increased our chances of claiming it. 

• Like 1

7/9 in the last 3 is fine. Repeat that in the next three (against arguably easier games) and 4th will be ours. Need to focus on beating Brighton now, I think we will. 

Chelsea at home will be a real test for Spurs playing like that. A draw yesterday keeps them in with a sniff of Europe so encourages them to have something to play for too.