Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Expect a reaction but how much character has the Chelsea team really got? I know it’s only one incident  and two players but the penalty thing against Everton didn’t show much unity. They didn’t even celebrate the goal. 

Get a lead against them and how much fight will they have? Saturday night, pissed up crowd and against a team looking for top 4. Not a game they will want after losing a semi final and getting smashed to a London rival. 

I think Chelsea lacks leaders on the pitch. And the quotes from Poch about how the players needed to prove they are not dependent on Cole Palmer might backfire, as there seems to be tensions among the players already. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeepDish said:

I think Chelsea lacks leaders on the pitch. And the quotes from Poch about how the players needed to prove they are not dependent on Cole Palmer might backfire, as there seems to be tensions among the players already. 

With then thiago silva definitely going and Gallagher potentially going 

The question is: “Are Chelsea this bad or are they just missing Cole Palmer?”

If Chelsea are this bad, we have to assume Spurs are at least winning 3 more games; Chelsea, Burnley and SheffieldU. That means Saturday is a must win game for us.

If Chelsea are missing Cole Palmer this much, let’s pray he is out on Saturday, but back early next week.

Edited by viivvaa66
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking how I want this game to go in relation to 4th place.

• Arsenal smash them, so high on confidence to smash Spurs on Sunday
  • Arsenal win because the title and want to continue to have to win again on Sunday on the basis City and Liverpool also this week.
  • Chelsea thus lose so confidence gets a further hit, even less chance to get Europe
  • Arsenal draw, puts more pressure on them to beat Spurs on the weekend.
  • Arsenal lose might be a bit too much and how will it affect them for Spurs game.
  • Chelsea win…they will be still in Europe chase, will be harder Saturday for us.  Or will they be their usual one good game, one bad and be bad against us.
  • Draw…meh
  • Chelsea lose, a confidence knock or will they want to bounce back on Saturday.

I think a good win for Arsenal is the best outcome.

High 5 ✋ 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

If Chelsea are this bad, we have to assume Spurs is at least winning 3 more games; Chelsea, Burnley and SheffieldU. That means Saturday is a must win game for us.

If Chelsea are missing Cole Palmer this much, let’s pray he is out on Saturday, but back early next week.

They look a different animal at home though, something like unbeaten in 8 winning 6 of them 

And on top of that spurs have a us vs man utd esque record vs them, they're just that team for spurs 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Chelsea have big holes that we slide into on Saturday and punish them hard. 

Baitin hell! 

But seriously would it be considered unfair if all 10 outfield players had a go at running at Cucurella? 

4 points from Chelsea and Brighton and we're almost home safe. Don't really care which order they come in. I think we got this. Of course Spurs could make it easy for us by losing a couple, but we don't want to rely on that.

• Like 4

Chelsea were dreadful tonight but you just know they won’t be that bad Saturday night. They will get slaughtered tomorrow in the media no doubt and I bet Gusto and Palmer will be back for the game. 

If we can score early feel like Chelsea capable of collapsing quickly but we don’t seem to have fast starts at Villa Park these days. 

On 22/04/2024 at 10:38, romavillan said:

If you have them beating City and Arsenal, what do you see in this Burnley team that makes you think Spurs would only draw against them?!

Sometimes you analyse that specific fixture and not so much what a side is capable of because football is a funny old game

I know top 5 has been effectively secured for a few weeks now but after tonight’s result we are now mathematically guaranteed top 6. Again before anyone jumps on this, I know it’s been a certainty for a while now, but to have it mathematically sealed in mid April with 4 games left to play is just wild to me! What a season this is. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RichW said:

Chelsea were dreadful tonight but you just know they won’t be that bad Saturday night. They will get slaughtered tomorrow in the media no doubt and I bet Gusto and Palmer will be back for the game. 

If we can score early feel like Chelsea capable of collapsing quickly but we don’t seem to have fast starts at Villa Park these days. 

You just know IT ! ☹️ We will have to hope we can look past that and just win anyway

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

If Chelsea are this bad, we have to assume Spurs are at least winning 3 more games; Chelsea, Burnley and SheffieldU. That means Saturday is a must win game for us.

They'll turn up v Spurs don't worry about that. Pochettino won't even make the final games if they lose that 3 or 4 nil.

12 minutes ago, DublinVilla said:

I know top 5 has been effectively secured for a few weeks now but after tonight’s result we are now mathematically guaranteed top 6. Again before anyone jumps on this, I know it’s been a certainty for a while now, but to have it mathematically sealed in mid April with 4 games left to play is just wild to me! What a season this is. 

While, it was obvious that we all but qualified for Europe some weeks ago, it should never be taken for granted after we missed out previously for 13 years before this season and went through all kinds of crap.

We really must savour what is happening at VIlla Park these days. It's a team and manager to be so proud of.

• Like 4