Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

We would have if Bournemouth were still in the FA Cup.

They have a lot of fixtures congested at the end of the season.. we can get points on the board 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Lucky feckers!

It all evens out. 

They have to play Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in the space of a week as a result

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Lucky feckers!

Unlucky more like. Just look at how many Premier League games they have to play in a very short space of time not to mention the teams they play.  I’ve said it before but if they get top 4 after that then hats off to them. They deserve it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I honestly think if we can get 9 points ahead of them it will just be too much for them psychologically. Just like surprise surprise Man. United couldn't just pull back a 10 point gap in a week as so many were predicting.

Yes it still would be mathematical and all that but realistically with so few games remaining now I think teams would quietly concede it's not going to happen.

We can get 9 points up on Spurs by winning the two home games. Or if we don't then we play Brighton away before they play Liverpool.

In that scenario Spurs would have to beat one of Arsenal, Liverpool or Man. City to finish above us so would really pile the pressure on.

I'm starting to have real questions about Liverpool and the end of this season.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Unlucky more like. Just look at how many Premier League games they have to play in a very short space of time not to mention the teams they play.  I’ve said it before but if they get top 4 after that then hats off to them. They deserve it. 

Liverpool also now have a free week to prepare to play them at Anfield whereas they have the Chelsea game on the Thursday so very little recovery time and like the one in November they might pick up injuries and suspensions.

We pick up just 4 points from Bournemouth, Chelsea and Brighton and that will still be a six point lead over them if they lose to Livepool and Arsenal and draw at Chelsea so that shows how close we are to 4th.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

and that will still be a six point lead over them if they lose to Livepool and Arsenal and draw at Chelsea so that shows how close we are to 4th.

That would be some collapse from their current form to only get 1 point from 3 games.

The more I think about Bournemouth, the more stress I get, possibly the fact Spurs aren’t playing. We have to rotate at this game, we can’t just play the usual team. I think our squad could handle this game at home, with some players coming second half. 
Winning this would give us a huge confidence and rest before Spurs play, then playing a tough match against Chelsea. Really hope we could grind the win, not sure at all how, but hopefully we do. 

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The more I think about Bournemouth, the more stress I get, possibly the fact Spurs aren’t playing. We have to rotate at this game, we can’t just play the usual team. I think our squad could handle this game at home, with some players coming second half. 
Winning this would give us a huge confidence and rest before Spurs play, then playing a tough match against Chelsea. Really hope we could grind the win, not sure at all how, but hopefully we do. 

I am also worried about the Bournemouth game. Especially after our efforts in Lille. We simply have to win though, or we let Spurs off the hook. Again.

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

I am also worried about the Bournemouth game. Especially after our efforts in Lille. We simply have to win though, or we let Spurs off the hook. Again.

We won’t know what Arsenal does against Spurs, losing next two would give the a huge boost before they play same number of games as us. Thinking of all outcomes is scary, but if we win it would be totally different and interesting.

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

That would be some collapse from their current form to only get 1 point from 3 games.

They have 1pt from last 3 away games and only home game in next 3 is Arsenal

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I didn't realise Bournemouth were such a bogey team for us. Only beat them twice in 7 games and one of those was their first match ever in the prem.

13 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I didn't realise Bournemouth were such a bogey team for us. Only beat them twice in 7 games and one of those was their first match ever in the prem.

Yeah Gestede, first game. Think we won 2 more games all season and got relegated.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Ah who can forget. Was a great ball from Alex for Gestede's goal.

22 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Bournemouth game is absolutely everything.

120 minutes of football, players emotionally and physically tired. Bournemouth are a really decent team as well.

Win this, we are mentality monsters and get CL.

Or winning they way we did have given them a mental and adrenaline boost and renewed energy and purpose.

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think Spurs supporters would say they have let us off the hook on more than one occasion.