Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

They discussed the prospect of Arteta resting 2-3 players against us on the Athletic weekend podcast because our game comes before the return leg of their Champions League game vs Bayern.

I guess a big match against Spurs will also be in their thinking re: player selection. It surprised me, but there was some genuine openness among the contributors on the pod to Villa causing an upset.

I dont think they’ll be looking at spurs fixture regardless of it being a derby, its a prem fixture so just like ours tomorrow it will be full on.

I’d assume everyone on here are aware they are very much in a hot battle for the title so every prem game will be full squad and no resting… i dont understand why anyone thinks there gonna take their foot off the brakes and rest key players no chance! wishful thinking though

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

7 points may be enough if Spurs lose to all of Arsenal, Man. City and Liverpool and get two heavy defeats.

7 points from 6 games, we can do that no problem as that's beating Palace and Bournemouth and getting a draw at Brighton. Even with an injury hit squad we are capable of that still.

Yep, more realistic 

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Ooooh, I like it.

Where from?

Winning all of Bournemouth, Chelsea and Palace isn't some 100-1 shot.

We'll be favourites to win all three although hopefully we don't get extra time and pens in Lille otherwise that will impact on Bournemouth recovery.

We then have a rare free week to prepare for Chelsea so I'm expecting a miles better performance than the abject cup game and Chelsea season is pretty much over as doubt their squad will be that motivated to quality for Europa Conference. Poch also said they have 11 injuries to first team players.

Palace away also feels the type of game where we'll get the result we need although would prefer if they've confirmed safety before then.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We will struggle to get 9 more points imo

Think we will beat Bournemouth, Brighton (we seem to do well vs them) and Palace. 9 points. Maybe 3 vs Chelsea, but at least 1 points.

So that's 10 points. 

In the words of our Emi - I'm a believer mate 😁

• Like 2

I’ve always said that we will get a win against Liverpool, City or Arsenal but I wasn’t sure which team but we’d lose the other two. That leaves Arsenal or Liverpool so I still don’t know which one we’ll win. 

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Disagree, 1 win in last 5, 6 incl tomorrow most likely

5 wins in last 10, 7 in 13 in all competitions

• Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 16:46, Tomaszk said:

Because I'm insane as well... Newcastle have a very easy run in, we won't be resting anyone while they can mathematically catch us in 5th.

INSANE LIKE A FOX!

6 points will be enough for us. I'd definitely sign up for 7 from 6 right now.

8 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Think we will beat Bournemouth, Brighton (we seem to do well vs them) and Palace. 9 points. Maybe 3 vs Chelsea, but at least 1 points.

So that's 10 points. 

In the words of our Emi - I'm a believer mate 😁

Arsenal loss

Bournemouth draw (on good form) 

Chelsea draw

Brighton loss

Liverpool loss

Palace win

16 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Newcastle have got 13 points from their last 6 games… that’s some form…

Yup some form but we would only need another 5 points if they can match that form. They also have united so win win for us

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How far do you want to go back? I'm talkng recent form

There is no reasonable argument against us being in poor form. From what we've put on this season, we have recently been poor.

Wouldn't worry about debating it if someone insists we aren't. They see things differently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Arsenal loss

Bournemouth draw (on good form) 

Chelsea draw

Brighton loss

Liverpool loss

Palace win

Feasible results.

As we've been the last two months... probably likely.

If we improve, we could definitely get 10+.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Newcastle have got 13 points from their last 6 games… that’s some form…

And if they got 13 points from their next 6 games we'd need only a win and a draw to finish ahead of them.

They're not a serious threat.