Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

55 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I know there was a lot of talk about United catching us and they would have to an achieve championship winning form and how we would have to drop to relegation from. Well the latter is happening and will probably continue on Sunday. We are averaging 1ppg in the last 5 and not looking like we will pick up too much from there. That should be more than enough to get to 66 points and see off United easily but unless Spurs implode I just don’t see how we get 4th. I imagine we finish 6 points short. 

Yeah, 5 or 6 points behind Spurs is how I see it as well. 

The situation isn’t 1:1 and we’re in a better situation with our players but look what happened after it fell apart with MON. 

It’s not the end of the world if we don’t make it but let’s not pretend it won’t be a big help if we make UCL. 

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's not, BUT...we are in a great position to secure the windfall it offers, and there's no guarantee we'll be in a similar position next year or the years after that. Newcastle, Man Utd and Chelsea will all be right back in the thick of it, and quite possibly at our expense. Also, if we don't secure CL this run-in, we are likely to lose the services of Martinez, and possibly Watkins and Luiz as well. The consequences of missing out will be serious.

We have to strike now while the iron is white hot. 

People said that last year

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I know there was a lot of talk about United catching us and they would have to an achieve championship winning form and how we would have to drop to relegation from. Well the latter is happening and will probably continue on Sunday. We are averaging 1ppg in the last 5 and not looking like we will pick up too much from there. That should be more than enough to get to 66 points and see off United easily but unless Spurs implode I just don’t see how we get 4th. I imagine we finish 6 points short. 

I agree in that I also think we'll finish a few points off Spurs but "relegation form" is a bit of an exaggeration. Sure we've only taken 5 points from our last 5 games but we literally won 3 on the bounce right before those 5. It's also worth pointing out that in the last 5 games Man United have taken the exact same number of points as us, and they're fast running out of games.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

People said that last year

They did. Except now all those players are a year older in a short career and even better than before and even more on the radar of the very biggest and best teams in existence.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, 5 or 6 points behind Spurs is how I see it as well. 

Do you think Spurs will beat Newcastle? There's a long way to go and my feeling is we will be back in 4th before the season ends, whether we stay there is a different matter.

Tbh we need to try and sit back and enjoy the race rather than turning into an ordeal, we have done amazingly well to get here so may as well bask in the glory now. UTV 

• Like 3

Newcastle and Chelsea games for Spurs are the two games I think will be key for our hopes of 4th. 

Burnley and Sheff Utd should in theory be two wins for them, I think they will win one of the three games against the top three but it’s the Newcastle/Chelsea games which are difficult to predict. Without them 2 games they would be on 69. 

A win in the either Newcastle/Chelsea would mean they’d need to drop points surprisingly somewhere else. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichW said:

Newcastle and Chelsea games for Spurs are the two games I think will be key for our hopes of 4th. 

Burnley and Sheff Utd should in theory be two wins for them, I think they will win one of the three games against the top three but it’s the Newcastle/Chelsea games which are difficult to predict. Without them 2 games they would be on 69. 

A win in the either Newcastle/Chelsea would mean they’d need to drop points surprisingly somewhere else. 

They also have Liverpool,  Arsenal and Man City to play, can't see them picking up max points from them games. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

They also have Liverpool,  Arsenal and Man City to play, can't see them picking up max points from them games. 

I know. That’s the point I was trying to make, 6 points from Burnley/Sheff Utd and I can see them winning one of them 3 fixtures (losing the other 2 probably). It’s the Newcastle/Chelsea games that are a bit harder to predict. Ideally need them to drop points in both

• Like 2

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's not, BUT...we are in a great position to secure the windfall it offers, and there's no guarantee we'll be in a similar position next year or the years after that. Newcastle, Man Utd and Chelsea will all be right back in the thick of it, and quite possibly at our expense. Also, if we don't secure CL this run-in, we are likely to lose the services of Martinez, and possibly Watkins and Luiz as well. The consequences of missing out will be serious.

We have to strike now while the iron is white hot. 

Newcastle, Man U and Chelsea will be in the same places they are now won't they, roughly? Maybe Chelsea a bit higher?