Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I’ll be glad when I don’t have to worry about other teams results like this. One thing worrying about Spurs and Man Utd. Another thing worrying about Dortmund v Ath Madrid

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not true.

Points system

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

So are there no points for actually winning the tournament?

22 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think the best case realistic scenario is City, Arsenal, Atletico to go through. Almost a certainty at that point. 

I'd be confident of two of those going through. Man. City weren't great but ultimately they can score goals out of little and De Bruyne will be ready to start and he'll make a big difference, Kyle Walker might be back aswell so on home turf I think they'll just edge it.

Atletico Madrid in a similar situation to us but they're a vastly experienced team in knock out situations so you'd back them to go to Dortmund and scrap out a 0-0/1-1.

Arsenal the big question mark. They'll need to play better than this week.

What the hell is going on, we win European Quarter final tie, and people more interested in other teams' results. Just finish fourth, when or if it gets to the stage where we can't achieve that then worry about what finishing fifth will mean, but as it stands we're still in with a brlliant chance of getting top four, and our league games are far more important to achieving that end than how other clubs are doing in Europe, it race for Champions League, we have to run that race, Emery is the pacemaker

• Like 4

Typical - the first time in erm(checks memory)....ever, that I've wanted other English teams to do well in Europe none of the arseholes win.

Hopeless the lot of em.

#Kloppout

• Like 4

So the likelihood is that Leverkusen is through, Dortmund is out and god knows about Bayern.

Not terrible but Liverpool is 3 goals down, Arsenal and Man City drew..... all three could easily go through but it is all up in the air.

Not the mid week we wanted and next week is totally crucial, we will very likely know what is happening with a 5th CL place.

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So the likelihood is that Leverkusen is through, Dortmund is out and god knows about Bayern.

Not terrible but Liverpool is 3 goals down, Arsenal and Man City drew..... all three could easily go through but it is all up in the air.

Not the mid week we wanted and next week is totally crucial, we will very likely know what is happening with a 5th CL place.

I think that:

City will win next week : 2 points plus 1 for going through                                                             Dortmund draw but go out : 1 point

Arsenal will draw : 1 point (remains to be seen who goes through)                                             Bayern draw : 1 point (remains to be seen who goes through) 

Liverpool win but go out : 2 points                                                                                                      Leverkusen draw : 1 point plus 1 for going through

West Ham draw : 1 point

Villa draw : 1 point

if Arsenal go through   

England: 9 points divide by  8 so + 1.125 point to the average. Germany: 4 points divide by 7 so + 0.571 to the average. England : 17.875 Germany : 17.357

if Bayern go through   

England: 8 points divide by  8 so + 1.000 point to the average. Germany: 5 points divide by 7 so + 0.714 to the average. England : 17.750 Germany : 17.50

• Thanks 1

People a few weeks ago was talking like 5th giving cl was a given 

Edited by Pinebro

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Not sure they were? Only ‚given’ posts I’ve seen are about us finishing 5th. 5th being CL has been up in the air always. Especially with the CL draw. 

9 hours ago, Honest bunch of lads said:

Villa will have to take care of the coefficient themselves!

Nothing we can do now if Arsenal lose. It's over then unless Leverkusen **** up

55 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yes despite even the Opta % chance predictions showing it was a little better than 50:50 since United and Newcastle got dumped out

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Nothing we can do now if Arsenal lose. It's over then unless Leverkusen **** up

Do the math(s) - it’s not over like that 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ben1505 said:

I think that:

City will win next week : 2 points plus 1 for going through                                                             Dortmund draw but go out : 1 point

Arsenal will draw : 1 point (remains to be seen who goes through)                                             Bayern draw : 1 point (remains to be seen who goes through) 

Liverpool win but go out : 2 points                                                                                                      Leverkusen draw : 1 point plus 1 for going through

West Ham draw : 1 point

Villa draw : 1 point

if Arsenal go through   

England: 9 points divide by  8 so + 1.125 point to the average. Germany: 4 points divide by 7 so + 0.571 to the average. England : 17.875 Germany : 17.357

if Bayern go through   

England: 8 points divide by  8 so + 1.000 point to the average. Germany: 5 points divide by 7 so + 0.714 to the average. England : 17.750 Germany : 17.50

Any hope left is on Dortmund and Bayern going out. If City win too then we're guaranteed an English finalist in CL

It's all close to settled next week. 

7 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'd be very happy getting into the Europa for next season and proving that we can rep in the league and Europe at the same time. It elevates us above many of the other teams struggling to be competitive in both compo's and raises the level of the current squad. Brighton and Newcastle have both struggled massively trying to do what we are currently doing.  Yes the CL would be great but just being in Europe is fantastic in itself. 

Anyway it's not over with a lot more football left to play. WH could win the return against Leverkusen and get coefficient points, Liverpool could beat Atlanta and do the same. Then Arsenal could, if they're on their game beat Bayern and Athletico could come away from Dortmund with at least a draw. Man City may also beat Madrid. If all that happens the picture looks a lot different and brighter. We could also leave Lille next Thursday after booking a place in the Semis. There is plenty to be optimistic about. 

The quality in the Europa League is another higher jump in quality and will help build our poor coefficient

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Atletico have wound up Dortmund so I will expect a big reaction. Atletico still favourites but a wounded animal