Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Which out of CL or PL would Arsenal most want? If their game against Brian is close would they rest players for our game? Or go full tilt in both?

21 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

I think we will look back on this as a thrilling and competitive season. Never nice to be dealing with in the moment but I do hope we will remember this one fondly!

That’s a pleasant and positive take… kind of crazy how quickly Unai has elevated this team…

I think, for many of us, it’s the feeling of desperation and being on the verge of achieving something special and potentially transformational (namely, CL qualification) that is causing a heightened degree of pressure, emotion, swings in mood and mentality etc etc. from elation to frustration and vice versa, for example.

You are correct. We should appreciate how well the manager and players (a new experience and level for the vast majority of them) have done, against all the odds, adversity, setbacks and disruptions…

it is remarkable… the “old skin” of Villa has been finally shed, with all its curses and failures left behind… I am enjoying this new one… very much… and the future is so bright and promising if we continue on this course…

personally, I feel Unai is a huge blessing to the club and I bow to his superior knowledge and expertise… we are in the best possible hands and I wouldn’t change it for anything. Let him do his work and may he be provided with the best possible tools…

He knows best and a hell of a lot more than us divs 😆

Been dying and crying out for a manager (and style of play) like this for pretty much as long as I’ve been a supporter of this wonderful club… his time with us needs to be enjoyed and appreciated as much as possible… 

we have some more than decent players now too… including a guy who has won the World Cup and another who will be our best PL striker and continue to break the previous records…

we are mixing it with clubs or teams that are used to competing at this level, with regularity in more recent times, whereas we have had to recover from a major decline… no one expected this from us, and many aren’t liking it 😂

the last guy had us going in the wrong direction again but Unai has saved us and propelled us… massively.

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, allani said:

100%.  I can see the favourites for 4th tag changing hands a couple more times yet this season.

Very likely… plenty more drama and ups and downs in store…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders129 said:

Chelsea are now priced shorter odds for top 4 at 36/1 than Man U 38/1 (United we’re 33/1 before the weekend)

These have been updated. Man U now 50/1, Newcastle 150/1 and Chelsea 300/1…

• Like 1

So 5th or 6th is where we will end up then after this weekends events. It’s the difference between playing in the champions league and playing in the europa league.. I’ll tell ya, I’ll be disappointed if we end up out the champs league places having spent so much of the season in them.  I think 4th is Spurs’ to lose now. They have a tough run of fixtures, sure, but they aren’t 4th because they are a terrible side. I reckon they’ll hold it. Roll on the end of the season, it’s starting to get a bit nervy now. 

• Confused 1

A convenient place to look at the remaining fixtures.

Spurs     Man United     Aston Villa
A Newcastle   A Bournemouth   A Arsenal
H Man City   H Newcastle   H Bournemouth
H Arsenal   H Sheffield Utd   H Chelsea
A Chelsea   H Burnley   A Brighton
A Liverpool   A Crystal Palace   H Liverpool
H Burnley   H Arsenal   A Crystal Palace
A Sheffield Utd   A Brighton      

Chelsea     Newcastle      
H Everton   H Spurs      
A Brighton   A Man United      
A Arsenal   A Crystal Palace      
A Aston Villa   H Sheffield Utd      
H Spurs   A Burnley      
H West Ham   H Brighton      
A Notts Forest   A Brentford      
H Bournemouth            
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get champions league , let's cut out the crap and as a club we should be considering we been in that position all season.Soft goals and switching of is the reason along with mentality.

19 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

These have been updated. Man U now 50/1, Newcastle 150/1 and Chelsea 300/1…

I might put a lazy $1,000 on Man U

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So 5th or 6th is where we will end up then after this weekends events.

To end up in 6th place we more or less have to lose the next 6 games, why a Villa supporter would even consider that thought is unbelievable. The only thing that have changed this weekend is that now Spurs is favourites for 4th position, but we still have a good chance overtake Spurs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

To end up in 6th place we more or less have to lose the next 6 games, why a Villa supporter would even consider that thought is unbelievable. The only thing that have changed this weekend is that now Spurs is favourites for 4th position, but we still have a good chance overtake Spurs.

Ironically, it's possible that Spurs game in hand could actually put Villa back above them.

If that game was played now and they lost by the same score or worse than the reverse fixture, we would go 4th.

Predicting results - im getting Spurs with 11 more points and Villa with 10 more points. 

That also means us winning every game we should win, no more slip ups like Brentford.

And even then we finish 1 point behind Spurs.  So on top of that, we have to pull out a surprise against Arsenal or Liverpool.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Predicting results - im getting Spurs with 11 more points and Villa with 10 more points. 

That also means us winning every game we should win, no more slip ups like Brentford.

And even then we finish 1 point behind Spurs.  So on top of that, we have to pull out a surprise against Arsenal or Liverpool.

Where did you have them gaining points from any of Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool?

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

So 5th or 6th is where we will end up then after this weekends events. It’s the difference between playing in the champions league and playing in the europa league.. I’ll tell ya, I’ll be disappointed if we end up out the champs league places having spent so much of the season in them.  I think 4th is Spurs’ to lose now. They have a tough run of fixtures, sure, but they aren’t 4th because they are a terrible side. I reckon they’ll hold it. Roll on the end of the season, it’s starting to get a bit nervy now. 

Or 4th, which we objectively have more of a chance of finishing in than 6th. 5th is by far the most likely though.

• Like 1