Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

7 hours ago, grobs said:

I think people are selling United a bit short. It’s not impossible for them to beat Liverpool today. I think they would catch us as they still have Burnley and sheff United at home

If you think we get 0pts from the remaining games and they win 4 from 8 and overturn the 18 goal difference then it's not impossible. Do you think we'll get 0 points seriously? Also Manure are a rudderless banter team

• Like 1

It's funny to see people say CL isn't a golden ticket and not the be all and end of all on weeks where we look good for top 4 and then when we do slip people say it is certain players will leave for top 4 clubs!

The truth is somewhere in the middle. CL would be huge for Aston Villa but it would be no guarantee we'd cement ourselves there. Also of course it would be better for our FFP etc. Likewise, it would be harder to keep star players if we miss out on CL but there aren't many clubs now that are more attractive than us right now. A second season in the top 7 shows we are genuinely a solid team challenging for CL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Everyone will drop points now and the end of the season. That’s the reality of football. Us dropping points yesterday isn’t an anomaly. 

The manner of how we dropped points should be an anomaly if we’re to progress as a club

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Callum said:

The manner of how we dropped points should be an anomaly if we’re to progress as a club

I make no excuses for that performance. There's still gaps in the squad to sort out, but to be able to compete for this position is a mark of remarkable progress given our injuries this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ben1505 said:

60 points was enough for 5th in 3 of the last 4 seasons

What? No it wasn't. Can't believe that got 2 likes if I'm honest, 60 points probably hasn't been enough for 5th in this league for the last 20 years or so.

• 22-23: Liverpool 5th (67 points)
  • 21-22: Arsenal 5th (69 points)
  • 20-21: Leicester 5th (66 points)
  • 19-20: Leicester 5th (62 points)
Edited by Leeroy

Having slept on it I’m actually not too disheartened about the result yesterday.

Brentford have found some confidence recently, and just played United off the park in recent weeks.

Under Gerrard, and probably Smith, we would have lost yesterday’s game 3-2. Emery has instilled a fight in this team and I can’t see heads dropping as a result of yesterday’s match..

33 minutes ago, Callum said:

It’s is an anomaly….i can’t remember anything like that recently.

11 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Our Man Utd game away but I agree with your point generally

• Like 1

I’m highly disappointed with the 9 minutes of insanity yesterday but I’m generally quite calm about it.  

IMO we’ll comfortably get fourth or fifth, England will get the extra CL spot and so we’ll have CL next year.  

Yeah there is a small probability we don’t get CL but the overwhelming percentage is that we will.  

People may disagree agree with me but at this stage I’m not worried.  

Hopefully my feelings on the matter will be the same in a few weeks time.  

Just feels like people are trying to conjure up heartache for themselves as they have done since the turn of the new year.  Yes we haven’t played as well as the first half the season but neither has Spurs or Man Utd or the teams below them and nothing is indicating anything will change plus we have a massive points cushion.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

We threw away a two goal lead at Luton too. Luckily Digne rescued us. It’s not the norm, but it’s definitely not a one off. 

• Like 1

Just now, thejoker said:

We threw away a two goal lead at Luton too. Luckily Digne rescued us. It’s not the norm, but it’s definitely not a one off. 

It’s also the reason we are fourth and not title challengers because just like Man Utd threw a winning lead away against Chelsea and Spurs conceding late goal to Everton, we can do that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, newhamvilla said:

Sorry to be a pendant Leeroy, but that's not they're saying. You need to look at how many points 6th place got in those years and then add a point as they would have hypothetically been enough to secure 5th:

• 22-23: Brighton 6th (62 points) - therefore 63 needed (or better goal difference)
  • 21-22: Man United 6th (58 points) - therefore 59 needed (or better goal difference)
  • 20-21: West Ham 6th (65 points) - therefore 66 needed (or better goal difference)
  • 19-20: Spurs 6th (59 points) - therefore 60 needed (or better goal difference)

and for good measure

• 18-19: Man United 6th (66 points) - therefore 67 needed (or better goal difference)

Regardless, it's many cases as you say it's more than 60. Usually mid-sixties. Maybe 2 more wins.

Still can't be dropping points like we did yesterday!

PS. Hopefully it's not like 2016-17 when you needed 70 points to beat Man U in 6th place and finish 5th 

Yeah got you, thanks for correcting. Still that's only 2 from the last 4 seasons, not 3.

I'm fairly sure we'll finish 5th even if we just get a point a game from here on in. I think to get 4th we need to win 4 of our last 6 games and the way we're playing I don't see us doing that. 

• Like 1

During the game when watching 9 minute capitulation I did think it was a disgrace and these lot don’t deserve to finish 4th but the reaction afterwards to make it 3-3 and trying to win the game calmed me down after. 

Still think its unacceptable to be 2-0 up at home to a team in the bottom 6 and going 3-2 behind for a team that’s challenging for the top four. Whether that’s Villa or any of the other top teams. It shouldn’t happen. 

Time will tell how costly it will turn out to be but we are not out of 4th yet. Plenty of football to be played yet. I expect Forest to take the lead against Spurs and Spurs to come back and win tonight we’ve seen that script enough times this season. If Man Utd were an actual decent team looking to finish the season strong the opportunities have been there for them to close the gap on us but fortunately for us they can’t put a run together. 

I guess this is the pressure part of the season, teams can drop points randomly and maybe Spurs will drop points unexpectedly too. 

So “theoretically” the max possible points from 6th down are as follows: 

Man Utd 72, Chelsea 70, Newcastle 68, West Ham 66, Brighton 64, wolves 63, Bournemouth 62, Fulham 60. 

Obviously some of these teams have to play each other and will take points off each other. 
I’ll eliminate these each week as it becomes mathematically impossible for teams to catch us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Why only one more win? 

Because I think one win will probably be enough to make sure of 5th and if things go the way of the English teams in Europe - 5th place will be cause for a massive party.

• Like 2

Would Spurs and Manure come back from shellshock of 2-0 lead to go behind 2-3 and rescue a point? How did Spurs beat us 4-0 then lose 3-0 to Fulham? Reality is we're all dropping silly points and will probably continue until the end but Manure aren't in the running. It's a shootout between us and Spurs and we'll probably both get CL anyway. That said let's go Forest!

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

We dropped Bailey as well, he would have started in our best 11 but was brought on late to try and rescue something from the match.

We had a few injuries and suspensions so it seems the manager essentially decided it was not going to be worth putting out our best 11 and to write off the fixture instead. 

I’m not saying I disagree with that decision but I can see arguments both ways.

There is a psychological impact of essentially ‘throwing in the towel’ and that is difficult to gage compared with the physical advantage of Bailey, Torres and Tielemans getting to play fewer minutes.

Diaby and Rogers have been just as good as Bailey lately so the decision to rest the latter made sense even without considering the rotation.

At the end of the day, we didn't "throw in the towel". We just didn't. Resting two players who would otherwise play is something teams do all the time. When you're playing as many games as we are and juggling that many injuries it's essential to rotate.