Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, PaulC said:

11 points gap still. Surely we can't finish below 5th now. Got to admit the competition below 5th is as poor as I've known it.

We've probably got enough points on the board now to finish 5th. If Man. United lose to Liverpool as you'd expect after this they'd need to win 4 of their last 7 just to get to 60 points.

• Like 2

United are not catching us, I'd put my house on it. They are as good as 12 points behind with goal difference. I'd even go as far to say they won't take 12 points in their remaining games.

Remarkable that it is the first week in April and we are pretty much nailed on for top 5. Let's finish the season in style and get 4th though.

• Like 4

Just now, jayEm said:

So United need 12 points to overtake us from their last eight. That's 4 more wins than us. I don't think it's going to happen

We beat Brentford and they lose to Liverpool and the gap will be 14 points so they'd then need a 5 game winning swing from just seven rounds of games remaining.

Its.Not.Going.To.Happen.

Period.

1 minute ago, Pongo Waring said:

Finally over Finally! Top 5 Sealed

Ralph Hasenhuttl Southampton GIF - Ralph Hasenhuttl Southampton - Discover  & Share GIFs

Not *quite*. We're almost there though. Beat Brentford on Saturday though and we can declare top 5 officially sealed.

• Like 2

Saw Chelsea 2-0 up , watched the apprentice , switched back and they were 3-2 down with 95 mins gone … and they only went and bloody well won it for us 

we’d better win on Saturday after all that 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I blame all the people on the previous  page, never get cocky fellas

I stand by my cocky dismissal of man u.......woop woop. UTV

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

United are not catching us, I'd put my house on it. They are as good as 12 points behind with goal difference. I'd even go as far to say they won't take 12 points in their remaining games.

Remarkable that it is the first week in April and we are pretty much nailed on for top 5. Let's finish the season in style and get 4th though.

Looking at their remaining fixtures I'd be amazed if they got anywhere near 12 points

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

God bless you Tayls, that raised a chuckle from me. Probably only 16 points off us if they scramble a win at Sheffield United....

You are most welcome! I really wanted a Chelsea win. I was in no way as confident as many on here with the point gap between ourselves and Utd and their game in hand. It’s still a small concern for me, because it’s not mathematically impossible, but that loss for them today has made me slightly more relaxed. I guess. 

Beat Brentford then we just need to PL teams to smash it in Europe in the week
Then we don't even have to care about 4th spot. Lets focus on winning the Conference League.

Jean Claude Van Damme Dance GIF - JeanClaudeVanDamme Dance Dancing -  Discover & Share GIFs | Jean claude van damme, Van damme, Scenes

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 1

Can't see this Chelsea team doing much v Spurs anyway, they got very lucky in the end.

So we need to continue winning in the league and in europe until 5th is 100% confirmed as good enough for CL whenever that will be.

Spurs could certainly win at Newcastle and Chelsea in the run in so in that scenario we'd likely need 72/73 points I think.

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Beat Brentford then we just need to PL teams to smash it in Europe in the week
Then we don't even have to care about 4th spot. Lets focus on winning the Conference League.

Jean Claude Van Damme Dance GIF - JeanClaudeVanDamme Dance Dancing -  Discover & Share GIFs | Jean claude van damme, Van damme, Scenes

Do we ever get things that simple? Please let it be so!

• Like 3