Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Annoys me as with a lot of injuries we’ve then gone ahead and rested some of our most important players in Torres, Tielemans and Bailey. Maybe Emery knows best and they needed resting but it feels very much like a game thrown away to me.

We are all annoyed we’ve lost mate but we still potentially have 13 games to play this season. We are going to need the whole squad if we do play 13. Out of all the remaining games tonight was most likely always going to be the most difficult. It’s annoying but I get why players were rested and got some minutes in to players who might be needed further down the line. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WHY said:

We are all annoyed we’ve lost mate but we still potentially have 13 games to play this season. We are going to need the whole squad if we do play 13. Out of all the remaining games tonight was most likely always going to be the most difficult. It’s annoying but I get why players were rested and got some minutes in to players who might be needed further down the line. 

Don’t get me wrong I get why he’s rested them, annoys me taking a half day off work  and travelling to Manchester to watch a half arsed team run after shadows though. Win the next two games and it’s justified, feels slightly MON/Moscow to me though.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Don’t get me wrong I get why he’s rested them, annoys me taking a half day off work  and travelling to Manchester to watch a half arsed team run after shadows though. Win the next two games and it’s justified, feels slightly MON/Moscow to me though.

I get that mate but Manchester is hardly Moscow 😉

After the Spurs game, we would have taken this league table right now, no doubt about that. It’s not in our hands, but we have one of our games where we expected to lose out of the way. We can be confident that Spurs will drop points, so at some stage it should be back in our hands (and vice versa I expect).

My only concern would be if we go into the Arsenal and Liverpool games with a similar approach. It looks like we are surrendering the initiative an hour before kick off. I don’t think Spurs would do that, but then they don’t have the European games to think about.

It may be a similar approach against Arsenal and Liverpool will get us the results we need in the other games. This is where the managers earns his money and has to make these big calls!

we are down to 1.6 PPG over the last 15 games, with 1.4PPG over the last 5 games.

i guess we will just have to hope we can take it over the line.

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Half-arsed team?

Weakened, maybe. But there was definitely no lack of effort from the team tonight from what I saw.

Half arsed selection, there was no lack of effort.

Comparisons to Moscow are harsh imo. We had a lots of injuries here. Big difference. It was Man City away with many players missing after a gruelling season with plenty of games left. We are decimated and we need to make sure our 12-14 best players get the best opportunity to get the 11-13 points we need to get Champions League football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Half arsed selection, there was no lack of effort.

I doubt that too. We have a serial winner managing us whose trying to manage the players best he can competing on two fronts, with numerous injuries and a suspension to boot. I bet he's done nothing half arsed in his life!

Back on topic, I think we need 71 points. Or 70 and a better GD than Spurs. But 5th will be enough!

• Like 1

Shame we couldn’t grab another goal back to keep the status quo in terms of GD.  We move on and go again at the weekend which was always a more defining fixture. Even our best 11 could've been ripped apart by Citeh so no shame tonight. 

Beat Brentford and nothing tonight matters (other than Duran showing perhaps Ollie could actually be rested for some league games next season without the World collapsing).

That will be a tougher game than Wolves though as they've just ground out two draws v Man. United and Brighton so getting back to being tough to beat. I'll take a scrappy 1-0 all day long.

Let’s make it pretty clear. 

someone is going  to crumble, spurs or us. 

we have Brentford, Spurs have Forrest, the Brentford game is probably our biggest, why?

because after that round of games if we are ahead I can see spurs crumbling. 

Newcastle, City, Arsenal, Liverpool back to back…. Good luck to spurs with that run.

We have Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

we could be 6 clear going in to May.

its going to be very close. 

I’m suddenly feeling pretty chill about the ‘race for Champions League’. I read that Spurs forum post saying they’re not that interested in UCL anymore and it made me think. People get sucked into this idea that if we make the UCL next season it will change the future of the club forever. I’m not so sure. I think the next few years are about enjoying the Unai ride, aiming to get consistently better each year and trying to compete for trophies. Look at Newcastle this year…the big prize of the UCL turned into ash in their mouths. Just enjoy the journey and dream of a trophy…be it UECL this year, domestic or Europa next year or whatever 

8 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Let’s make it pretty clear. 

someone is going  to crumble, spurs or us. 

we have Brentford, Spurs have Forrest, the Brentford game is probably our biggest, why?

because after that round of games if we are ahead I can see spurs crumbling. 

Newcastle, City, Arsenal, Liverpool back to back…. Good luck to spurs with that run.

We have Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

we could be 6 clear going in to May.

its going to be very close. 

Neither could crumble. We could just both keep bobbing along in the same way we are now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Only once in our last 7 PL games have we won on xG. That was against Forest. Unlike the season up to that point where we were winning games on xG and on scoreboard

We will be found out soon if we don't improve our performances. 

The Konsa goal was something like 0.07xG wasn't it? Ruling out how easy it would have been for Duran to tap in? That's why I can't take it seriously.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Neither could crumble. We could just both keep bobbing along in the same way we are now.

Exactly what I was about to say.

I think this season will go down to the wire on all fronts.

From 1 - 7.