Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

The annoying thing is that Man U could easily go and win their remaining 9 in a row, and it probably wouldn’t be that surprising. Even if we get lucky and they only manage to draw tonight, they could still do serious damage with 8 remaining. So for me they are a concern still and will be until it is mathematically impossible for them to go above us. I’m praying that is achieved before the last game of the season. 

So you watched them today and your conclusion was they could *checks notes* easily win 9 in a row? United. Zero goal difference Manchester United. This is technically an opinion yes, but it's not a serious one.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm worried about the Brentford game now if they play like that.

Luckily we won the reverse fixture

The game will be at VP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Man U could easily go and win their remaining 9 in a row

They're 20/1 to finish top 4. I can't imagine the odds on them winning 9 straight but if you think they could do it then it's the definition of an asymmetric bet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So you watched them today and your conclusion was they could *checks notes* easily win 9 in a row? United. Zero goal difference Manchester United. This is technically an opinion yes, but it's not a serious one.

My post was before the game… I also said they ‘could easily win 9 in a row, and it probably wouldn’t be that surprising”… Not quite sure what you are getting at tbh. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

My post was before the game… I also said they ‘could easily win 9 in a row, and it probably wouldn’t be that surprising”… Not quite sure what you are getting at tbh. 

Not being a bitch but I reads that post and thought man that's a hell of a thing to say, given the upcoming match. I've been just as anxious TBF. 

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s only slightly less mental to post that before the game to be honest

In fairness to Tayls despite the performance they nearly did win the game! I think that's the angle he's looking at.  Despite the shit they're picking up results.

18 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

In fairness to Tayls despite the performance they nearly did win the game! I think that's the angle he's looking at.  Despite the shit they're picking up results.

They are jammy AF. We all know that over the years. Things go their way more often than not. I agree that they aren’t what they used to be. Seen them play a few times this season (on tv) and I’ve been bored watching them. But, they will still pick up results. Is it difficult for them to finish above us, yes, is it impossible, no. Are we capable of doing an Aston Villa and letting it slip away. Yes.

8 games. Let’s go. 

20 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Yeah we were all probably thinking it. It’s a lifetime of watching United **** us over.

Anyway moving on.

Our rolling 5 ppg is back to 2 and our season PPG is now 1.97. Last 10 games it is 1.7. 1.5 to 1.7 is probably realistic given our run in. That would put us on 71 points and 73 respectively (rounding up).

7 minutes ago, thejoker said:

If we can get 3 more wins (from 8 games), Man Utd would need to win 7 of their last 9 to overtake us (and that’s presuming we don’t pick up any draws in the other 5 games). I’m ever the pessimist when it comes to Villa, but we’re within touching distance of top 5 now. 

Our next three home games are against 15th, 13th and 11th. We're generally pretty good against those sort of sides at home. 

Despite injuies and suspensions we have picked up more points than any team in the top 10 outside the top three, just a shame our only defeat was against Spurs. We haven’t been at our very best in any of those 5 games but we are grinding out results which at the business end of the season is the most important thing. 

Edited by WHY