Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

If we lose to West Ham and they win I'd say they'll get 5th

They have the same small squad as us and much harder European games. That's before you consider the 12 point gap we have over them at the moment. No chance they finish above us. 

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They have the same small squad as us and much harder European games. That's before you consider the 12 point gap we have over them at the moment. No chance they finish above us. 

9 points with the GD but the point still stands. If we lose to West Ham then they need to beat Brentford away. They then have Chelsea away and Liverpool at home. Not easy games. We could conceivably lose the next three games and they could be only a point better off. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

He means Man Utd if you read the comment he’s replying to but again if his scenario happens we are still 5 points ahead with 9 games to go which is a decent lead along with the GD.  Also after we lost to Man Utd people were saying they’d catch us yet weeks later we are currently still 8 points ahead of them. It’s possible but not likely.

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think he means if we lose to West Ham, United will finish above us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is possible cos no Europe and the Man Utd bias.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think he means if we lose to West Ham United, then that United will finish above us.

Only would take a 13 point overhaul but they'll probably do it

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This is possible cos no Europe and the Man Utd bias.

Plus we have tougher games than them. We will likely get nothing from City and Arsenal. While United have tough games but at Old Trafford like Liverpool. 

Add in our European games and a squad that's falling to injury, suspension, everything to get us down to bare bones. 

The final factor is pressure. We've cracked in the key games this year at Villa Park. The pressure will be a telling factor in the run in too.

If we lose to West Ham I think this goes to final day where we need to win at Palace to secure 5th. 

For me the sliding doors moment is on us. We get CL and it is a boost in every respect for the clubs future. We fail to get it we then absolutely have to sell a Douglas Luiz type player for staying in FFP and Top 5 next year is a mountain for us, look at Newcastle 

Edited by CVByrne

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we lose to West Ham and they win I'd say they'll get 5th

You always back what's going on off the pitch, can we back this amazing squad and manager to do the business on the field too?

For 18 months this squad and manager have given us everything. They need our support right now to finish the job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Plus we have tougher games than them. We will likely get nothing from City and Arsenal. While United have tough games but at Old Trafford like Liverpool. 

Add in our European games and a squad that's falling to injury, suspension, everything to get us down to bare bones. 

The final factor is pressure. We've cracked in the key games this year at Villa Park. The pressure will be a telling factor in the run in too.

If we lose to West Ham I think this goes to final day where we need to win at Palace to secure 5th. 

But this is the point. If we don't get many more points this season then we don't deserve to finish above them surely?

You've said we will likely get nothing from City and Arsenal. The only reason we are comfortably above Man United is because we beat both of them.

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

For me the sliding doors moment is on us. We get CL and it is a boost in every respect for the clubs future. We fail to get it we then absolutely have to sell a Douglas Luiz type player for staying in FFP and Top 5 next year is a mountain for us, look at Newcastle 

But they got top 4 last season?

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We also won crunch games last season. Never mind the amount of key games we have won this season. We wouldn't be in the position we are if we had bottled it. In fact if we had beaten Man U, Spurs and Newcastle at home we would be joint top. So we are where we are on merit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We need 3 wins, assuming we draw a couple of the others, to get 5th

i reckon we need 12 points from the last 10 games tbh to be sure of 5th, assuming Manure dont go wacky and massively over-perform in the last 10 games.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i reckon we need 12 points from the last 10 games tbh to be sure of 5th, assuming Manure dont go wacky and massively over-perform in the last 10 games.

Yeah that’s pretty much what I said. 3 wins is 9 points and I’m assuming we draw 2 or 3 of the other games and we’ll be fine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can somebody tell me, does he mean if we lose to West Ham, it's *Man United* who'll finish above us?

I think he is referring to Harchester United

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

But they got top 4 last season?

Yes my point is you get an opportunity to get into Champions League and if you grab it then amazing but don't be expecting the chance to be there for you the next season. Look at Newcastle and Leicester. The season after getting or just failing to get 4th.

If we don't get it now, we have to make a big sale for FFP next season and we know United will be better, Spurs are going the right way. Next season will be much much more difficult and the moment will be gone.

So for me this is the do or die moment for the club. We need the finances from CL we need the leap forward it can bring us and we need it now