Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

27 minutes ago, Callum said:

Can honestly say I won’t be in the slightest bit arsed if we’re knocked out of the conference on Thursday. 

Well we need to do well in the conference to give us the best chance to get the PL that 5th CL spot.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Do anybody fancy us.getting anything against City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Today's result and performance gives spurs all the momentum now. 

Yes I do.  We have shown we can match the top teams just as much as we can put on a display like today, Spurs are even more extreme than us.  It’s a bad defeat for us but Emery has shown almost every time this season after a defeat we come back with a win.  Spurs have also showed that when they are just about go on a run they ‘Spursy’ it and screw up.  Long way to go in this season, anything can happen.

I had a feeling this might happen...

Spurs are better than Villa at the moment and now they have momentum whereas we seem to be struggling.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Also Spurs might have VDV out for a bit and they struggle without him.

Hard to believe they actually happened at 0-0. He goes off and we conceded two in two minutes.🤦‍♂️

It's a good point though, looked a muscle injury so probably won't be available next weekend and might miss the last one in March aswell. Ben Davies and the Romanian guy aren't quite as quick to cover Romero's gambles on balls.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hard to believe they actually happened at 0-0. He goes off and we conceded two in two minutes.🤦‍♂️

It's a good point though, looked a muscle injury so probably won't be available next weekend and might miss the last one in March aswell. Ben Davies and the Romanian guy aren't quite as quick to cover Romero's gambles on balls.

They’ve already said they don’t think it’s anything serious. 

Spurs aren't just going to suddenly beat everyone other than City, Arsenal, and Liverpool, equally they might not lose all three games against the top three, but that's more likely than them winning all the other games.

Pretty sure that Spurs would swap our points total and our remaining fixtures for theirs, even allowing for the fact they have a game in hand, or to put it another way I know I wouldn't swap our position for theirs

They've got arguably a tougher game than us next weeked for a start, as Fulham are better at home than West Ham, Fulham in fact have won more at home than any team in the PL other than the top five

We're still in a very good position

• Like 1

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

They’ve already said they don’t think it’s anything serious. 

We said that about Konsa and he was out for four weeks.  The fact that Draguskin was warming up heavily at half time and then VDV came out second half and went down like he did and kept clutching it, even walking suggests it more than a little knock imo.  Then knew he had an issue at half time and he tried to carry on but couldn’t.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We said that about Konsa and he was out for four weeks.  The fact that Draguskin was warming up heavily at half time and then VDV came out second half and went down like he did and kept clutching it, even walking suggests it more than a little knock imo.  Then knew he had an issue at half time and he tried to carry on but couldn’t.

He's a great CB, one of the signings of the season. Reminds me years back when they had Vertongthen and Alderweireld, arguably the best CB combo in the prem for two years. Lovely recovery pace and positioning, their Konsa.

He'll be in contention to start for the Dutch in the Euros while Konsa won't even make the England squad.

Edited by VillaChris

Their game in hand is Chelsea and knowing how wildly incosistent Chelsea are this season it can go either way

Just now, Pinebro said:

Their game in hand is Chelsea and knowing how wildly incosistent Chelsea are this season it can go either way

Spurs have a shocking record vs Chelsea too don't they? 

I'm sure it's us vs utd esque but don't know if that's changed in recent years 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

To finish 4th?  It’s a straight shootout between us and Spurs… we probably need 1.8-2.0 PPG to finish ahead of Spurs

No to finish 5th. I was responding to posts saying Utd would overtake us. 

I don’t think we’ll get 4th. But hopefully 5th is enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s no longer in our hands but there will still be twists and turns on this run in. 

For the time being, have no doubt Spurs will lose to some team no one expects them to lose too.

Spurs

Fulham (a), Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Sheffield United (a), Chelsea (a)

Aston Villa

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Man City (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a)

I think we will still get fourth based on those

1 minute ago, useless said:

Spurs

Fulham (a), Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Sheffield United (a), Chelsea (a)

Aston Villa

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Man City (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a)

I think we will still get fourth based on those

Spurs could easily get 10 points from their next four. That's going to put pressure on us to get wins v West Ham and Wolves.

Hopefully Fulham hold Spurs as if we then beat West Ham then the gap is 4 points with them having a spare game so there won't be much different to going into today's match with less games remaining.

Spurs could easily lose to Fulham who have won more home games than any team outside the top five, and could probably just as easily lose to West Ham as well, we're just as likely to take a load of points from our final five games as Spur are from their next four, what is going to make it difficult for them is having to play Newcasle, Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool, one after the other

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm baffled some still think we won't get 4th, like Spurs are going to win every game from now on.

They don’t need to win every game. They need to match us. And I think there’s a good chance they will from here

• Like 2