Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They do.

Doesn't seem to suggest this on the UEFA site.  With club coefficient, it specifically excludes them:

UEFA Europa Conference League points
1 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the first qualifying round
1.5 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the second qualifying round
2 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the third qualifying round
2.5 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the play-offs
2 – All wins from group stage onwards (except knockout round play-offs)
1 – All draws from group stage onwards (except knockout round play-offs)
2 – Group winners
1 – Group runners-up
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals

(Link:  https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/about/)

...and at the bottom, the Association Coefficient makes absolutely no reference to anything after the group stage.  Although that's possibly just absolutely terrible wording from UEFA :D 

Edited by bobzy

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Doesn't seem to suggest this on the UEFA site.  With club coefficient, it specifically excludes them:

UEFA Europa Conference League points
1 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the first qualifying round
1.5 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the second qualifying round
2 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the third qualifying round
2.5 – Awarded to each club eliminated in the play-offs
2 – All wins from group stage onwards (except knockout round play-offs)
1 – All draws from group stage onwards (except knockout round play-offs)
2 – Group winners
1 – Group runners-up
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals

(Link:  https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/about/)

...and at the bottom, the Association Coefficient makes absolutely no reference to anything after the group stage.  Although that's possibly just absolutely terrible wording from UEFA :D 

I'm just going on what Dale says (and it's the authority on this shit generally)

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

As I'd had said, a **** disaster for England yesterday.

A disaster would be no chance left. Still very much a bit chance we get it. The only result that was unexpected was Freiburg. We need to make sure we have one more team than Germany competing. 

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

A disaster would be no chance left. Still very much a bit chance we get it. The only result that was unexpected was Freiburg. We need to make sure we have one more team than Germany competing. 

If West Ham can knock Freiburg out and the rest of the teams go through England will have 5 left and Germany 3. 

A lot hinges on West Ham really. We need City to draw Bayern next round to get them out hopefully

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If West Ham can knock Freiburg out and the rest of the teams go through England will have 5 left and Germany 3. 

A lot hinges on West Ham really. We need City to draw Bayern next round to get them out hopefully

Does it? 

It seems to me the case for England essentially boils down to having arguably the strongest side in each of the three competitions (Man City, Liverpool, us). If those three clubs go all the way then what happens to West Ham or Brighton isn't really going to matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Agreed. If Man city, Liverpool and us win 2 out of the 3 competitions it won’t even be close. 

It's why I don't understand why people torture themselves by following every shift in the numbers from week to week. If City, Liverpool and us (but especially the first two) are still in their tournaments, 'England' are on track. If they go out, that's when you might want to start sweating the numbers. For now, all is golden. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's why I don't understand why people torture themselves by following every shift in the numbers from week to week. If City, Liverpool and us (but especially the first two) are still in their tournaments, 'England' are on track. If they go out, that's when you might want to start sweating the numbers. For now, all is golden. 

True to an extent but it Bayern Dortumund Leverkusen and Freiburg get to the final or semi final then there's still a chance they picked up enough points to beat England regardless of 2 English teams winning the tournaments 

22 minutes ago, omariqy said:

True to an extent but it Bayern Dortumund Leverkusen and Freiburg get to the final or semi final then there's still a chance they picked up enough points to beat England regardless of 2 English teams winning the tournaments 

You're probably right, but that to me is a bit 'lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change'. 

EDIT: To put that a bit less archaically, 'shit happens' I suppose. If the German clubs win it on merit then we didn't 'deserve' it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, Adman said:

Ideally we win the conference and finish 4th, and all other English teams go out asap

Exactly this. We have been shit hot for almost 18 months. We finished 7th last season after a bad start. We have been top four most of this season and even 2nd a few times.

Back Unai and the boys to bring it home,  let's not worry too much about 5th. If we get 4th it will actually devalue the achievement if Spuds creep in via 5th. **** 'em!

Nah we want English teams to do well. ,8 teams in Europe next year have a better chance of getting another 5th place than 7 for the following year.

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Nah we want English teams to do well. ,8 teams in Europe next year have a better chance of getting another 5th place than 7 for the following year.

How?

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How?

More of our rivals also playing weekend - midweek - weekend and having to manage those extra games rather than being able to rest between league matches.  Newcastle and Brighton have both struggled at times this season in part because of the extra matches they've had to play, the quick turnaround and the extra demands that puts on their players and squads.

Emery's been able (so far) to balance this to an extent by us not having to play at the same intensity in our European matches - which will be more difficult next season assuming we qualify for either the CL or the Europa. 

20 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How?

This year we got 8 places because West ham won the ECL last year and qualified for EL despite finishing outside top 7. Giving us 8 places in Europe. This season Liverpool will probably win it but they will probably qualify for CL through league position. So back down to seven. This year Germany had 7 teams in Europe. I gives us an advantage to have more teams picking up points for the following season.

1 hour ago, NorthEastVillan said:

United doing united things again. Completely outplayed for 45 minutes and 2-0 up with two pens 😔 dunno how they keep this up tbh. 8 points behind at this stage.

Not really outplayed.

They let them have the ball so they could play on the counter.

Not like they Everton peppered Onana with shots. Looked very comfortable for United.

Edited by Pinebro

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not really outplayed.

They let them have the ball so they could play on the counter.

Not like they Everton peppered Onana with shots. Looked very comfortable for United.

I only watched some but interesting to read that vs the stats - Everton had 23 shots at Old Trafford! That can’t happen too regularly even these days. But trust your eye test - sometimes games can still feel very comfortable even if the stats are skewed, especially with an early lead.

Man Utd were always more than likely to beat Everton at home, but if they were going to win at all, that they needed two penalties to do so, is probably the best way for them to do so for us, as not exactly the most confidence boosting win, I doubt it will inspire them to go on a winning run between now and the end of the season.