Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

10 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This isnt a must win. Its a must not lose.i have got used to Emery going for the win but just this Sunday i hope he is far more pragmatic.  Work out how to stop their front 3 and not give them loads of grass to run into. Cash needs to take Son out with a chest height challenge for a start just to wind up their fans  

If they win their game in hand they're only two points behind us. We're at home, we should be positive and go for the win.

1 minute ago, randy_69 said:

Is there a website address where these relative coefficient stats are updated???

These guys do it but there's a bit of a lag https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/39054486/the-race-five-places-next-seasons-champions-league

Points earnt tonight mean we are currently about 0.7 points behind, if West Ham win then it's more like 0.3

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

West Ham losing

I'd be astounded if they didn't turn this around in the second leg. 

It could work in our favour, they have to go strong next Thursday (too).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Shocking night for our chances of that 5th CL spot

Man. City, Liverpool and ourselves getting to the finals of the respective competition will surely be enough?

Don't need all English SFs, there are two spots in play let's not forget. Villareal lost 4-0 to Marseille so that balances out the Brighton loss and Sevilla and Betis already gone out of europe. Don't see Barca getting past the QFs and Real Sociedad already out so basically just left to the Madrid clubs and Atletico 1-0 down to Inter.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Man. City, Liverpool and ourselves getting to the finals of the respective competition will surely be enough?

Don't need all English SFs, there are two spots in play let's not forget. Villareal lost 4-0 to Marseille so that balances out the Brighton loss and Sevilla and Betis already gone out of europe. Don't see Barca getting past the QFs and Real Sociedad already out so basically just left to the Madrid clubs and Atletico 1-0 down to Inter.

It’s the Italian and German teams ahead of us we need to worry about. Germany currently only have 4 left. Hopefully West Ham turn it round vs Freiburg second leg. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Shocking night for our chances of that 5th CL spot

Not a problem. It can turn around in one set of fixtures as it stands. 

I'm not sure how the calculation works. I know it's 2 points for a win divided by the number of teams in the competition. So in our case that was 8 and Germany 7 

So at the group stages all our wins were divided by 8 and Germany 7 

But when you get to knockout stages we have 6 teams left and Germany 5. 

Does that mean our wins are divided by  6 and Germany 5. Or does it stay at 8 and 7.

29 minutes ago, colhint said:

I'm not sure how the calculation works. I know it's 2 points for a win divided by the number of teams in the competition. So in our case that was 8 and Germany 7 

So at the group stages all our wins were divided by 8 and Germany 7 

But when you get to knockout stages we have 6 teams left and Germany 5. 

Does that mean our wins are divided by  6 and Germany 5. Or does it stay at 8 and 7.

Stays at 8 and 7. Simply put we are on par with Germany with them keeping their points advantage until we have significantly more teams left in Europe than them. Could happen in a couple of rounds and could change quite quickly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It was a bad night with us not winning and West Ham losing, yet only as bad or not much worse than what would've been expected.

Here is the update after the early games:

And then after the late matches:

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Wins give points, not who qualifies. So if West Ham and Freiburg win a game each and West Ham progress and lose both games in next round the points are the same. We need West Ham to win and go through. Brighton win for some pride and points and they are out. Arsenal need to win and we need Dortmund out if at all possible

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Wins give points, not who qualifies. So if West Ham and Freiburg win a game each and West Ham progress and lose both games in next round the points are the same. We need West Ham to win and go through. Brighton win for some pride and points and they are out. Arsenal need to win and we need Dortmund out if at all possible

Well yes but going through gives you the possibility of earning more points in the next round and it prevents the other team from doing so, which is particularly important in West Ham's case.

But I hadn't considered the value of Brighton getting a win (or even a draw) at home despite the tie being almost over, in fact such a heavy loss away will make it easier if anything for them to get a positive result in the return fixture because Roma will know that it's practically irrelevant to them.

Cheering on a team like West Ham to beat a budget German team is wrong and am happy Freiburg won.

Just do our own job and we be fine

Edited by Zatman

I think that extra spot is looking right in the balance with Germany. Leverkusen and Bayern especially you would expect to go deep in their competitions while Freiburg get more points at the expense of West Ham and Brighton look done.