Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Although to be fair part of the reason the odds favour England is that we are favourites to win the Conference League…!

It's possible but the magnitude of the games don't matter, so a final is worth the same as any other game. If we get to the final, it is unlikely (but possible) that winning or losing woulld shift the coefficient one way or another

• Like 1

Game at a time, now let’s focus on Ajax. I think Emery would start Lenglet, but who’ll start with him? Konsa or Torres? 
Then for midfield it would be a headache but I think we’d go:

Luiz, Tim, Tielemans

Diaby, Duran, Rogers

Not sure if we’ll start Dinge or Moreno. 

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Game at a time, now let’s focus on Ajax. I think Emery would start Lenglet, but who’ll start with him? Konsa or Torres? 
Then for midfield it would be a headache but I think we’d go:

Luiz, Tim, Tielemans

Diaby, Duran, Rogers

Nope. We will play full strength on Thursday. Maybe Rogers to start, other than than a full strength team. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

No LB at all??   That's brave lol.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, picicata said:

Really? I won't give half a shit, i'll be to busy thinking about us!

I will, because I don't want them to get the revenue. If it was not a money game, I would not care

• Like 1

Listening to Gary Neville post match and he still seems to think there’s a chance for United to get 5th. You never know with United and Villa. This does feel different though. If Watkins, Luiz, Martinez or Bailey get injured then it could all change. You would hope we have enough in the tank to win 4 or 5 games more. 

32 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I’m surprised Arsenal are greater than 99% to get CL.  While they have a game in hand, they still have us and Spurs to play and are only 3 points ahead of us.  If they just lose those two games alone they could be 5th.  Yep I believe they’ll get CL but >99% is basically definitely getting it when those two games put them back in the mix with us and Spurs and Arsenal do have the ability to choke. So even by either statistically or just on the eye, then >99% seems high.

(yep I know they have a game in hand tonight but still)

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Listening to Gary Neville post match and he still seems to think there’s a chance for United to get 5th. You never know with United and Villa. This does feel different though. If Watkins, Luiz, Martinez or Bailey get injured then it could all change. You would hope we have enough in the tank to win 4 or 5 games more. 

Does he mean over us or Spurs?…would seem weird given we are 11 points ahead whereas Spurs are only 6 but with a game in hand. I’d be surprised if he meant us because 11 points and a 24 goal difference advantage seems too hard to overcome in 11 games.  Whereas as Spurs, 6 points seems more achievable.

52 minutes ago, omariqy said:

That's where you've gone wrong

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Does he mean over us or Spurs?…would seem weird given we are 11 points ahead whereas Spurs are only 6 but with a game in hand. I’d be surprised if he meant us because 11 points and a 24 goal difference advantage seems too hard to overcome in 11 games.  Whereas as Spurs, 6 points seems more achievable.

Yeah he was talking about the both of us but yeah maybe more Spurs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Many of his opinions absolutely stink. Just like Utd.

Saying 200 words when 20 will do doesn't mean you're clever Gaz.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m surprised Arsenal are greater than 99% to get CL.  While they have a game in hand, they still have us and Spurs to play and are only 3 points ahead of us.  If they just lose those two games alone they could be 5th.  Yep I believe they’ll get CL but >99% is basically definitely getting it when those two games put them back in the mix with us and Spurs and Arsenal do have the ability to choke. So even by either statistically or just on the eye, then >99% seems high.

It’s factoring in 5 CL places, so essentially saying there’s a >99% chance they will finish top 5, which there is.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

If they collapse and finish 5th they are even then still likely to get champions league via the extra spot so that might be why their odds of missing out all together are so high?

Guessing we have the toughest run in given that we’ve played the bottom 5 now home and away already, that said, there’s an argument to be made for playing mid table sides over the relegation candidates toward the end of the season I suppose.

I’m trying hard not to start believing too much in the vain hope it would soften the blow if we end up missing out but I can’t stop looking at the table and smiling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Nope. We will play full strength on Thursday. Maybe Rogers to start, other than than a full strength team. 

We can make a couple of changes and still field a strong team. Wouldn’t be surprised if Digne and Diaby come in. Pau possibly will get 45 to be ready for a Spurs.

So state of play for German clubs in Europe

UCL

Bayern v Lazio (0-1 agg)

Real Madrid v RB Leipzig (1-0 agg)

Dortumund v Eindhoven (1-1 agg)

UEL

Qarabag FK v Bayer Leverkusen (1st Leg)

Freiburg v West Ham (1st Leg)

Italian clubs

UCL

Bayern Munich v Lazio (0-1 agg)

Barcelona v Napoli (1-1 agg)

Ath Madrid v Inter (0-1 agg)

UEL

Roma v Brighton (1st Leg)

AC Milan v Slavia Prague (1st Leg)

Sporting CP v Atalanta (1st Leg)

UECL

Maccabi Haifa v Fiorentina (1st Leg)

English clubs

UCL

Man City v Copenhagen (3-1 agg)

Arsenal v Porto (0-1 agg)

UEL

Roma v Brighton (1st Leg)

Sparta Prague v Liverpool (1st Leg)

Freiburg v West Ham (1st Leg)

UECL

Ajax v Aston Villa (1st Leg)

Some key games to look out for this week and next. Italian clubs have all 7 in the race at the moment but they could easily lose Lazio, Inter and Napoli after this round of UCL games. Likewise Bayern and Leipzig could go. Apart from our own game, the Roma v Brighton and Freiburg v West Ham games will be massive. 

• Thanks 2