Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

with the extra 5th spot being heavily reliant on teams' performances in europe, imagine this scenario:

we finish 5th and make the final of the conference league. england are just behind germany in the coefficient for the 5th CL spot

only by us winning the conference league would give england that 5th spot and enable us to qualify for the CL

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

with the extra 5th spot being heavily reliant on teams' performances in europe, imagine this scenario:

we finish 5th and make the final of the conference league. england are just behind germany in the coefficient for the 5th CL spot

only by us winning the conference league would give england that 5th spot and enable us to qualify for the CL

I’ve been thinking that, that we could simultaneously win the conference league and get CL football by securing the extra English spot, all in that one match. It’s quite a realistic scenario. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve been thinking that, that we could simultaneously win the conference league and get CL football by securing the extra English spot, all in that one match. It’s quite a realistic scenario. 

In reality it should be decided by then as you only pick up 2 points for a win there will only be the finals left.

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Do we want Liverpool to win today? Do Chelsea get a European place with a victory?

Chelsea would get Conference League if they win today. If Liverpool win it'll go to league position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Lets just finish 4th and make it easy on ourselves for once.

• Like 1

Aim has to be 70-75 points. Five of our last 12 are against bottom half teams, and 7 against top half teams.

The only thing worrying me is having to play Chambers if Pau adds to the injuries of Konsa, Carlos and Mings which would be ridiculous to have four centre halves out at the same time. I just couldn't cope if Chambers was up against Son, Maddison and Kulusevski. We need Pau back for the next game and really need Konsa and Carlos to get back ASAP too.

Looking at our remaining fixtures I'll give my predictions:

Luton - W

Spurs - D

West Ham - W

Wolves - D

Man City - L

Brentford - W

Arsenal - L

Bournemouth - W

Chelsea - D

Brighton - D

Liverpool - D

Crystal Palace - W

Puts us on 72 points. Although we don't draw many games so maybe those five draws will actually only be one and we'll win a couple and lose a couple. Even so would probably put us on even more points than 72.

We should be hitting 70 and I think we can get to 75. A lot will depend on if we get our injured defenders back because we will probably drop points we shouldn't if we're playing Chambers for any period of time.

We have a great chance of making 4th or 5th and if we don’t, you take 6th and another season of European football.  It’s still progress.

However, I do think we may not get a better opportunity of Champions League football as we do now though. Spurs, United, Newcastle and Chelsea, just haven’t been consistent throughout the season and I can only see them coming back stronger next season.  The time is now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We have a great chance of making 4th or 5th and if we don’t, you take 6th and another season of European football.  It’s still progress.

However, I do think we may not get a better opportunity of Champions League football as we do now though. Spurs, United, Newcastle and Chelsea, just haven’t been consistent throughout the season and I can only see them coming back stronger next season.  The time is now. 

We may never get a chance of champions league again. You can't assume next season teams will be at the same levels as this year. We could easily finish 8th next season if all the usual teams have a good year. We've put ourselves in place to possibly get champions league now, despite an injury crisis, and the enhanced income that brings.

If we miss out the summer becomes even more painful with players having to exit to balance thr money to meet the bullshit psr rules.

Europa doesn't help financially to keep the core of the team together. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 1

Been tracking 2pts per game consistently since Emery joined, right? Still bang on 2pts per game this season 

I'm going to assume it continues and we get the full 76pts until something happens that changes my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1