Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

43 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Which German clubs are left in Europe?

Leverkusen are serious contenders to win the europa based on how they're playing, they could well knock out Liverpool imo.

Frankfurt are in our competition aren't they and given they won the Europa league two years ago they are co favourites alongside us I feel.

Dortmund still in CL and they got a winnable tie v PSV although would be amazed if they got past the QFs.

Bayern are going to smash Lazio at home. City likely to go all the way. Liverpool will probably win Europa. You just know 5th place will be champions league place and Manc words removed will sneak it after a very poor season for them.

I hate football.

I can already see the memes about how they had their worst season in years and got Champs league while Villa had their best in years and finished below them.  😤 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think 7th is good enough at all tbh. We'd need to win the competition to make europa league then. Also a chance if Chelsea win the league cup that 7th dosen't even qualify for europe.

People could say then we could have a real go at 4th next season just playing once a week (as Spurs have done) but I can't see our top players being happy at all with the slump so our squad would probably need to be reshaped like it was in summer 2021 and all the problems that arose because of that.

Finishing 7th also means we're finishing below a couple of clubs who we had 10-15 point leads over going into January.

Just feels same old Villa with a massive inferiority complex. Disappointed a fair few on here are already accepting and resigned to the possibility. 

If a 5th CL spot goes to England, then 6th gets the Europa League spot, and 7th will get the FA cup Europa spot providing a team outside the Euro spots doesn’t win it.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think 7th is good enough at all tbh. We'd need to win the competition to make europa league then. Also a chance if Chelsea win the league cup that 7th dosen't even qualify for europe.

People could say then we could have a real go at 4th next season just playing once a week (as Spurs have done) but I can't see our top players being happy at all with the slump so our squad would probably need to be reshaped like it was in summer 2021 and all the problems that arose because of that.

Finishing 7th also means we're finishing below a couple of clubs who we had 10-15 point leads over going into January.

Just feels same old Villa with a massive inferiority complex. Disappointed a fair few on here are already accepting and resigned to the possibility. 

Not at all mate, I'm just concerned about the injuries so trying to temper my own expectations.

It's quite a bad state of affairs inutwise right now.

With how things are going, I believe 5th will most.likely get Champs League also.

I've remained consistent with my view about 5th since start of the season. Our incredible run made me look a little higher, but I always knew we were succeptible to the same problems as other clubs.

Also why I thought it was extremely arrogant and narrow minded for people to be claiming other teams with even deeper squads than our suffering injury crisis had no chance to catch us or wouldn't hit form at some point.

I never bought any title talk at any point either lol

So I reckon I've had my expectations within reasonable range so may be less dissappointed.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bayern are going to smash Lazio at home. City likely to go all the way. Liverpool will probably win Europa. You just know 5th place will be champions league place and Manc words removed will sneak it after a very poor season for them.

I hate football.

I can already see the memes about how they had their worst season in years and got Champs league while Villa had their best in years and finished below them.  😤 

The perfect storm which would make me take time away from football.

Liverpool wining the Prem

Man Ure getting 5th

Villa finishing lower than 7th.

The Liverpool and Manure fans would be utterly unbearable! I would just avoid all football for a year for my own sanity!! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He must think only top country gets extra CL spot not the actual top 2 countries getting extra CL spot

No I just think it was assumed that our (England's) best chance of finishing in the top 2 is by staying ahead of Italy rather than Germany.

I am feeling quite down about our fortunes and I understand everyone who is feeling the same.

What I don't understand is how some people claim to know exactly how our season will pan out.

Whilst I think it is going to be very difficult from here to maintain our lofty standards and keep us all feeling lovely and warm, there is absolutely nothing concrete about the next 3 months of football.

I am down, I am frustrated but I'm not giving up hope of a top four finish!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am feeling quite down about our fortunes and I understand everyone who is feeling the same.

What I don't understand is how some people claim to know exactly how our season will pan out.

Whilst I think it is going to be very difficult from here to maintain our lofty standards and keep us all feeling lovely and warm, there is absolutely nothing concrete about the next 3 months of football.

I am down, I am frustrated but I'm not giving up hope of a top four finish!

Injuries are killing us but if we can keep the rest fit then with a lot of them not playing much football through injuries it could be ok

Martinez

Cash - Lenglet (Konsa when back) - Torres - Moreno/Digne

Three or Four of McGinn/Luiz/Tielemans/JJ/Tim

Two or Three of Bailey/Watkins/Diaby/Zaniolo/Rogers

Still plenty of quality there to be optimistic, we just have a weak bench.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Injuries are killing us but if we can keep the rest fit then with a lot of them not playing much football through injuries it could be ok

Martinez

Cash - Lenglet (Konsa when back) - Torres - Moreno/Digne

Three or Four of McGinn/Luiz/Tielemans/JJ/Tim

Two or Three of Bailey/Watkins/Diaby/Zaniolo/Rogers

Still plenty of quality there to be optimistic, we just have a weak bench.

Trez scored those goals to keep us up, no reason this squad can put together enough results to give us a fighting chance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Trez scored those goals to keep us up, no reason this squad can put together enough results to give us a fighting chance.

All the times he looked like he couldn't kick a football I love Trez for several goal moments. Yelling far post in Arabic to Elmo for the Leicester winner. Bodying Robertson then putting the cross in that Watkins headed into crossbar that should've made it 8-2 against Liverpool

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

All the times he looked like he couldn't kick a football I love Trez for several goal moments. Yelling far post in Arabic to Elmo for the Leicester winner

I love him too, he was horrific at times but he never let it get him down and those goals he scored were so important to where we are now.

The one against Arsenal is a goal I will never forget! His celebration deserved to be in front of fans, it would have been mental.

I digress...

I bet Trez believes we can finish top 4, that's good enough for me.

• Like 4

As mad is this sounds my biggest concern is even more injuries. They seem to be dropping like flies ! Are they playing at an intensity they can’t sustain? Could it be why we have overachieved so much? Or is it just pure bad luck!!??

On 12/02/2024 at 22:59, VillaChris said:

Man. City away for them at the weekend....

They were supposed to play Spurs at home but that's been cancelled with them in league cup so hopefully they're in form when that gets re-arranged.

Was a big win for Chelsea tonight otherwise they'd have probably been stuck in the bottom half for a few weeks which would've probably seen Poch getting very close to being sacked.

That’s my only worry

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As mad is this sounds my biggest concern is even more injuries. They seem to be dropping like flies ! Are they playing at an intensity they can’t sustain? Could it be why we have overachieved so much? Or is it just pure bad luck!!??

Kons slamming the post is just bad luck. Kamara just got his injury from bad foot placing on the turf it seems, Pau kicked off the pitch by Brentford. Mings also got that terrible injury from twisting and a bad landing.

If we were getting loads of muscle injuries like Newcastle and Man. United have this season it would be on us but that hasn't been the case.

• Like 3

Same as at the start of the season, I’ll be happy if we can qualify for Europe again. Whatever the competition. Obviously be a bit disappointed if don’t make champions league, especially as it looks likely fifth gets it this time. But Europa League would still be good, it’s about step up and consecutive European qualifications. It certainly wouldn’t be a ‘failure’. 

But there’s no time for consolatory thoughts, we can still very much make 4th or 5th, and a few wins will make all the difference to feelings around the place.