Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Champions League would be amazing for the bigger picture. Conference league would be great too but it’s a bit shit it will be virtually impossible to get tickets to a final. 

Now FA cup semi final and a chance to take my daughter to Wembley for the first time is the pick of the bunch on a personal level. 

I think we will get 5th place but may end up sacrificing the other 2.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

What logic have you to say we won’t beat shef utd on Sat?  We battered them before Christmas and were shafted by VAR.

I just think we will draw. Football doesn't always follow logic and we have poor form, a bad record at their place and a generally dodgy away record.

So I think it'll be a draw. Is that ok with you boss? Or must I agree with whatever you think?

Edited by GlobalVillan

9 hours ago, striker said:

Villa haven’t done enough in the January window to secure a CL place. Squad is too weak to sustain top five while also playing in Europe.

Think Man U will overtake Villa as they are getting their better players back from injury and I can’t see Villa finishing ahead of Spurs either.

Could also miss out on European football altogether.

Presently I have Villa finishing 7th-8th.

If only we had signed Kalvin Phillips.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

To be fair, that’s going to be work out to be a pretty decent loan for a final push this season. Plus that pass to him yesterday was awful, so wasn’t completely his fault 

9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well that midweek of football was toilet. The 4 above us all win, the 3 below all gained on us while we lose our proud year-long unbeaten home record, dropping out the top 4 in the process. Seemed like just yesterday we were going into a home fixture against bottom of the league, looking for a 16th straight home win to go top of the league 😩 

We need a resounding performance and win against that same side now to get back on track.

People genuinely thinking we were seriously in the title race needed a bit of a wake up call and we've certainly had that in the last month.

Not sure if that thread has been locked down but I assume it's now resting on page 3-4 if it hasn't so that says it all.

I'd like to think this is just a bump in a road and we'll get crack on and win some games very soon. Playing all of Sheffield United, Fulham and Forest this month so really no reason not to.

If we're seriously struggling to win at least two of those games then it will start getting very nervous.

We need to be on at least 50 points once we get into March and the final 12 games or so.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Doom and Gloom post

Not really just my opinion based on current form of teams mentioned.

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

Oh my god you’re so negative!! We’re more likely to win the league than finish as low as 8th. 

I sincerely hope I’m wrong but let’s see by end of season?

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Criticising a player after one performance after not playing much football is narrow minded to say the least. Have you criticised Ramsey or is your criticism just for non Villa players?

Tomorrow is a very big game. Next two games are the games were we lost everything. Now we’ll have to gain it from the two of them again. 
let’s win tomorrow and hope Man Utd lose points next game. Then a draw might be fine. 
For me I won’t sacrifice the FA Cup because I don’t think an extra game or two will be the only thing that takes us out of top 5. We’ve been doing bad with less games last month.

I’d like two cup finals while securing 5th than getting 3rd or 4th with winning a cup or two. 
Being in two cup finals might end up winning a trophy or two, while 5th most likely takes us to CL as being in cup final will help, with Hopefully Liverpool winning Europa.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, striker said:

Criticising a player after one performance after not playing much football is narrow minded to say the least. Have you criticised Ramsey or is your criticism just for non Villa players?

I'd have taken Phillips here but not at £175K a week as that's more than Kamara is on and Kamara is significantly better than him IMO. If we could have got him while City pay half his wages, I'd have gone for it, but they probably weren't game for that. People like @Zatman saying he was worse than Donk are obviously on the windup, but I do think he'd struggle to get in our team while West Ham obviously promised to cover all his wages while also promising to play him every game.

Still not really sure why he makes the England squad but given Southgate has to have loads of defensive minded players in there and we only really have Rice (and maybe TAA) as options there he'll probably end up in the final England sqaud this summer which is depressing. I think longer term Adam Wharton who's just gone to Palace will take his place, who is an exceptional young footballer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

That's one way to put it.  Another way would be that he's played **** all the past 12 months.  Bit pointless then having someone who supposed to be back up and played literally no football, how long should he be given to get up to speed?  One month? Two? Five? The loan will be over by then 🤣

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I just think we will draw. Football doesn't always follow logic and we have poor form, a bad record at their place and a generally dodgy away record.

So I think it'll be a draw. Is that ok with you boss? Or must I agree with whatever you think?

The irony of this :D 

• Like 1

That's one way to put it.  Another way would be that he's played **** all the past 12 months.  Bit pointless then having someone who supposed to be back up and played literally no football, how long should he be given to get up to speed?  One month? Two? Five? The loan will be over by then 🤣

This 👆🏼

The Kalvin Phillips loan reminds me a lot of our Danny Drinkwater loan. A player who was instrumental in a smaller team, goes to a big club and falls to pieces before being loaned to a slightly smaller team to rediscover himself. It happens a lot but I really can't recall many times where this has actually been successful.

43 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I genuinely can't believe some of the doom and gloom with regard our prospects tomorrow. If I could hand pick a team to play against it would be the team bottom of the league averaging 0.4 points per game. If you fear for a prospects tomorrow then you must be fearing us not winning a game for the rest of the season.

We battered Sheff Utd at home. 80% possession, a good goal disallowed, 2 stone wall penalties denied. The officials do what they're paid for and we win that game by 3 or 4 goals. 

A win tomorrow potentially puts us 4th (Spurs have a much tougher game than us away at Everton) and 10 points clear of 6th, 11th points clear of 7th with those two sides playing each other on Sunday.

I have a very good feeling this thread will be a lot more positive come 7.30pm tomorrow. 

Our fans become very miserable when we’re not winning every week. 

I think we’ll win tomorrow but I also think something needs to change with the way we’re playing. Maybe Pau returning can give the team a lift. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

As you probably already know it doesn’t take that long to get up to speed again. But I guess you’ve just pulled those figures out of your backside to support trying to be sarcastic.🤔

4 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I kind of agree that Kalvin Phillips can help us into champions league. Just in a different way…

Would’ve been a perfect signing for Spurs.