Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

21 hours ago, calcifer said:

Cant do it, would rather stick my nipples to a car battery and rub one off with a cheese grater, then support Liverpool 

PM 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree, if we can’t be optimistic after 80+ points in 2023, even more so that we have averaged 2 ppg since Emery started and we have our main players back from injury and suspension and 12 days break.  

People say we’ve been in poor form and need to be realistic, but realism has been ~2 ppg under Emery and our poor form coincided with, at various points, key players out like Torres, Tielemans, Kamara, Moreno, JJ so now they are back I’d say it’s more realistic that we continue with ~2 points a game and thus end up with ~77 points which by any metric should get us Top4.

I think we will pretty much mirror the end of last season this season, no reason not to believe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We've had 25 years of being, on the whole, completely shit.

And the last time we were almost good, we bottled it with a huge collapse.

I don't think you can blame people for being cautious or pessimistic, especially when our current run of form is a bit concerning.

Good things don't happen to us. People aren't used to us doing well.

The assurance is surely Emery.

If he can drag us from 17th to 7th in just six months and if he can win  the europa with Villareal beating Arsenal and Man. United back to back he can surely get us at least finishing 5th.

Not sure if it's correct but I read last season when we had that run of three straight defeats that he'd never gone more than four league games without winning one. Again we had that dodgy period over xmas but we still beat Burnley which was critical to give us that breathing space over Spurs and good gap to 6th.

I get negativity but sometimes people don't really look at the actual stats. I remember just before the Luton home game people were saying it would be typical Villa to lose to a bottom end team. When I asked for an example under Emery the reply was the Leicester game...which was in early Feb 2023. After that one we'd beaten every single team at VP you'd have expected us to so that pessimism didn't really make sense (although of course then happened in the Sheffield match).

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The assurance is surely Emery.

If he can drag us from 17th to 7th in just six months and if he can win  the europa with Villareal beating Arsenal and Man. United back to back he can surely get us at least finishing 5th.

Not sure if it's correct but I read last season when we had that run of three straight defeats that he'd never gone more than four league games without winning one. Again we had that dodgy period over xmas but we still beat Burnley which was critical to give us that breathing space over Spurs and good gap to 6th.

I get negativity but sometimes people don't really look at the actual stats. I remember just before the Luton home game people were saying it would be typical Villa to lose to a bottom end team. When I asked for an example under Emery the reply was the Leicester game...which was in early Feb 2023. After that one we'd beaten every single team at VP you'd have expected us to so that pessimism didn't really make sense (although of course then happened in the Sheffield match).

Of course. But it's irrational isn't it.

It's hard to dispel 25 years of disappointment using logic.

I look at our record under Emery and the points needed to secure Champions League and I know it's a very achievable, and to be honest now it's even a likely, target. But I can't help feeling a sense of dread after the last few games because performances have been poor.

We're villa fans. it's what we do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course. But it's irrational isn't it.

It's hard to dispel 25 years of disappointment using logic.

I look at our record under Emery and the points needed to secure Champions League and I know it's a very achievable, and to be honest now it's even a likely, target. But I can't help feeling a sense of dread after the last few games because performances have been poor.

We're villa fans. it's what we do

Totally agree. It doesn’t help when it feels like things literally couldn’t have gone any better over the last 12 months. Sooner or later we’re going to drop off unless we improve the team, just like Newcastle, it can’t last forever! Just hope we can hold out another 10-12 games until we’re assured of that top 4 spot.

On 17/01/2024 at 01:06, Kiwivillan said:

I've been criticized for pointing out the often over the top pessimism on here from some. It's palpable

is it any worse than over the top Optimism, which in itself is subjective, too.

Both are based on opinions.....if they go wrong, one is a pleasant surprise, and the other a glum disappointment.....If they go right, one is expectation confirmed, the other is, caution condemned.

I guess we all take our pick.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I think we will pretty much mirror the end of last season this season, no reason not to believe

I hope you're right but I think a few things are a bit different to the second half of last season.  One, our away form isn't as good both defensively and attacking wise.  Two, more teams seem to have cottoned on that we can struggle to break down a low block and we seem to be missing the extra bit of creativity that Buendia/Coutinho were bringing to the final third in the second half of last season.  Maybe Tielemans can fill the gap when fully fit.  We also have more injury and poor form issues than last year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I hope you're right but I think a few things are a bit different to the second half of last season.  One, our away form isn't as good both defensively and attacking wise.  Two, more teams seem to have cottoned on that we can struggle to break down a low block and we seem to be missing the extra bit of creativity that Buendia/Coutinho were bringing to the final third in the second half of last season.  Maybe Tielemans can fill the gap when fully fit.  We also have more injury and poor form issues than last year. 

I agree, I think Tielemans is potentially the key. That and the gaffers ability to find solutions to these problems.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I agree, I think Tielemans is potentially the key. That and the gaffers ability to find solutions to these problems.

I think Torres as well with his passing ability and the ability to drive the ball into midfield.  Lenglet has been good but Torres is excellent moving forwards.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think Torres as well with his passing ability and the ability to drive the ball into midfield.  Lenglet has been good but Torres is excellent moving forwards.

Torres was an incredible signing and very astute 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

There’s a good chance as well that Lenglet will improve further - this is what happens under Emery.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2024 at 14:01, HalfTimePost said:

Ah the race to be able to say "I told you so" or "It was always obvious we wouldn't finish there" has moved to this thread I see.

3 points clear with half a season to go. Dream a bit ffs. If you cant enjoy this season, you may aswell find something else to do as you'll never find happiness in this sport.

Even if you've waited what, 30 years for us to get back to the European Cup / Champions League and you're already fighting to say you were here early enough to call us missing out on it... honestly, what's the point?

Nothing wrong with dreaming, as long as you realise, you have to wake up.

Some may wish to say " I told you so" others may just seem to think top 4 is a bridge too far......we can enjoy every game without, stretching the imagination, beyond what we think is reasonable/feasible.

Look we all want to finish top 4, personally, I think its a big ask.....based on what, you say?............The "eye test" I am not going in to the whys and the where fors, but I think its an ambitious call.....but would obviously be delighted if we did.

The point is, to see us grow, and get stronger, thats the fun, and the satisfaction, for some.....But I am not going to tell anyone how to be a fan.

I am a season ticket holder, and go to every home game, and watch every away game on the Box.....I also watch the other teams in the league, and am fully aware of their capabilities, and on their day most teams can beat each other, with a few exceptions.  Liverpool, and Man City, who have a clear distinction, when it comes to consistency, are a different beast.

What we have done so far, is fabulous, but its like a marathon, the last bit is harder, it requires endurance and perseverance and a will to stay the course.

Folk base their opinions on different things, some just take a stab at it, some just build there hopes on pure emotion, some study games and evaluate the strong and the weaker things we have......its anyones call.

You dream, all you wish, and I guess your dreams are in line, with my hopes.......All Villa fans want the same thing, we just vary in thinking what is most likely to happen.

What has happened in the past, has no bearing on what is happening now....its just game to game, that matters....maintaining form is key.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I think the problem we are having is players not playing at 100%. Watkin's, McGinn, especially Diaby, have not been to form in the last few games, an I hate to think it's tiredness with all the top nutritionists, training these days, an this cannot happen if you are fighting for top 4. Look at Liverpool, not one player underperforming, then look at Arsenal, okay they won against Crapstal Palace, but previous had players underperforming an started to drop points. 

If we are to kick on this next half of the seaosn to finish top 4-5, we will need every player willing to play at 100%, we can do this, but certainly cannot afford to carry the Diaby's, etc, that's  if we truely really want CL football.

Form is the past results. We're are 4th now, today, kick back and enjoy it. I have watched us 'struggle' over the last few games and still come out with some great possession stats and missed opportunities against teams that are setting up to stop us playing our game, fair game to them. This won't last, Emery will find away around it, he always does. 

I have also watched our opposition,  West Ham are overacheiving , Spurs and Arsenal look a threat , Liverpool and Man City are in top form.

We need to look above us rather than below, if we start worrying about losing then we probably will, we have beat Spurs, Arsenal and Man City in the last 10 games?

Glass half full.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tinker said:

if we start worrying about losing then we probably will,

So if I, as a fan, worry about us losing a game then the team, the actual people who play for the club, are going to " probably" lose that game because of my worry?

That's what you have just said there.

Surely you can't believe that?

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

So if I, as a fan, worry about us losing a game then the team, the actual people who play for the club, are going to " probably" lose that game because of my worry?

That's what you have just said there.

Surely you can't believe that?

As a team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tinker said:

As a team.

But what the team are "thinking" has nothing to do with us fans on a forum. Your point was that we have to be glass half full or we will lose games. 

We can say whatever we want on an Internet forum, and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to the result of a group of professional athletes playing a game.

4 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

For those who believe in omens, it's our 150th anniversary and 150 in roman numerals is.......CL.  It's written in the stars I tell ya.

Conference League? 😝

• Sad 1