Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I think if we’re on 56-59 after Luton away, we’re in a good spot. 

Unai has been very good with the 1 match a week schedule. Wonder if he just has more time to prep for each match too instead of practicing tactics mid-game. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Im not concerned about West Ham.

Had a quick look at their like-for-like on last season and they are only 7 points better than last season. So from the 19 fixtures they have remaining, they only got 14 points last season. Even if they double this they aren't threatening the top 4/5. 

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

How the table would finish if like-for-like results from last season are matched for the remainder of this season:

1. Arsenal 80 (-4)

2. Man City 77 (-12)

3. Liverpool 71 (+4)

4. Aston Villa 69 (+8)

5. Man Utd 68 (-7)

6. Spurs 66 (+6)

7. Newcastle 64 (-7)

8. Brighton 56 (-6)

Would absolutely love to finish on a 69

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Would absolutely love to finish on a 69

Would be our =14th best top flight season based on equalised ppg.

Would also be our first 69 point season in terms of actual points. We've had both 68 (1982/83 Div 1) and 70 (1971-72 Div 3 and 1989/90 Div 1) before.

If 3 points for a win had been in place since 1912 we'd have already had two 69 point finishes, in 1912/13 and 1921/22.

Getting 2 points more, finishing on 71 would but this season in the top 10 in our top flight history. As of now we are on course for the 5th best.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

West Ham remind me Villa under MON. Very organised and direct. Good from set pieces too. They will always pick up a lot of point but never quite have the quality to break the top 5.

Im not concerned about West Ham.

Quality in the likes of Kudus, Bowen, Paqueta etc in fairness.

I wouldn't write them off yet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Shame we couldn’t pinch one of them from them…far too much money but good players and would weaken a team not miles away from us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True but I’m more concerned about us blowing it than them picking up enough points to overtake us. United and Spurs still more of a threat for me.

• Like 1

With Arsenal and Spurs losing, looks like we aren't the only club who has had a stumble. 

Gonna be an interesting 2nd half to the season. I'll be over the moon with 4th (and hopefully the Conference League)

22 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Rio just predicted Man Utd to finish 4th

Wow

Decent prediction.  Man Utd are 6 points off 4th and will probably improve slightly on their first half form.  

They also had the same troubles and problems last season and still ended up 3rd in the league.

Personally I think they’ll finish 5th or 6th.

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Decent prediction.  Man Utd are 6 points off 4th and will probably improve slightly on their first half form.  

They also had the same troubles and problems last season and still ended up 3rd in the league.

Personally I think they’ll finish 5th or 6th.

Man City have a game in hand so they aren't really 6 points off 4th

Crucial win today. I'm not too concerned by the manner of it or the last couple results really, we've played lots of games and being without Kamara, Pau and Tielemans is just rubbish luck. Need to be properly back at the races for Everton though or I will be a bit intrigued about what's happened to us.

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 1

I was gearing myself up to come in here with a “Well I’m remaining positive about our chances but this past week has knocked this optimism a lot” post.

Thankfully don’t have to do that, so I can post what I really wanted to post.

Take from this what you will. I believe this is correct. 

The final points total for 4th, 5th and 6th since 2016/17. 

Sixth place is included as there are some who look at it that we don’t have to reach X amounts of points for 5th, we have to have more than Y points in order to finish higher than 6th.

I did this before but have also included what that the team had after 20 games into the season to give some idea of what they did in the second half of the season and how we might compare. The points after 20 games are the numbers in parenthesis.

4th            5th           6th

22/23 - 71 (39)    67 (29)    62 (34)

21/22 -  71 (36)   69 (35)    58 (32)

20/21 -  67 (30)   66 (39)    66 (35)

19/20 -  66 (35)   62 (42)    59 (30)

18/19 -  71 (45)   70 (38)   66 (35)

17/18 -  75 (38)   70 (42)    63 (37)

16/17 -  76 (44)   75 (41)    69 (39)

We are averaging 2.1 PPG this season.

Since Emery has been here the PPG is 2.02.

In order to reach 76 points - the highest 4th has accumulated in the past seven seasons - we would need to have a PPG of 1.89 over the remaining 18 games.

Achievable.

If we don’t do it, we will either have tailed off in a manner that hasn’t been foreshadowed in Emery’s time here, or we’ll be seeing unusually high points totals being recorded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think what this little festive run has underlined is that when we have a fit, firing and fully available squad we are a match for anyone but when we have a few injuries/ suspensions, particularly to the spine of the team, we look much weaker. I particular we have missed Kamara and look much weaker defensively without him. If we want top four, and champions league football next season, we will need a bit of luck and a couple of shrewd signings in January

• Like 2