Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

A lot of fans are talking about bed wetting etc but for me I just wanted to see us go top once this season. Realistically this is a top 4 race for us. 

But to see us top the league once after where we have been and the football we’ve seen for nearly 12 seasons or so would have been an immense moment of pride. 

As for top 4 we need to in every block of 5 get at least 10 points from now to the end of the season. Then we’ll have 4 games remaining on 69 points. 

Right Burnley are due a pasting from us 9-0 should do it. 😂 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

A lot of fans are talking about bed wetting etc but for me I just wanted to see us go top once this season. Realistically this is a top 4 race for us. 

But to see us top the league once after where we have been and the football we’ve seen for nearly 12 seasons or so would have been an immense moment of pride. 

As for top 4 we need to in every block of 5 get at least 10 points from now to the end of the season. Then we’ll have 4 games remaining on 69 points. 

Right Burnley are due a pasting from us 9-0 should do it. 😂 

This hurt like hell. I don’t want to sound like that fan but VAR made sure it didn’t happen.

• Like 2

I never expected us to be top of the league in any capacity for another 5-10 years. I'm not losing any sleep over not doing it this season. Even top 4, I didn't think we'd be in the mix for this year, top 5 at an absolute push if we'd had a storming season. This is so far above my wildest expectations. I'm just enjoying the ride. Only 4 losses in the league halfway through. We usually go through those by September.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I never expected us to be top of the league in any capacity for another 5-10 years. I'm not losing any sleep over not doing it this season. Even top 4, I didn't think we'd be in the mix for this year, top 5 at an absolute push if we'd had a storming season. This is so far above my wildest expectations. I'm just enjoying the ride. Only 4 losses in the league halfway through. We usually go through those by September.

We’ve got something only 2 other teams in this league have in my opinion. So I wouldn’t bet against us finishing top 4. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve got something only 2 other teams in this league have in my opinion. So I wouldn’t bet against us finishing top 4. 

We've got something no other team has.

Unai Emery 

• Like 1

Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle all losing the same game week is good. But we need to beat Burnley and hope we get some help from Forest at home to Man United.

Shame we couldn't have got more from last two games but positives to try take are we did everything right for 60 mins against Man United and just lost control. It's our home form keeping us in the running for top 5 and CL so we need to get that win and win against Newcastle too. 

I think we've missed Pau Kamara and Tielemans because they're out at the same time. 

5 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Agree, though West Ham now in the picture.

They win games based more in luck than anything. Teams like that can go in good runs and bad runs. The Moyes system is fundamentally limited and they can't win consistently enough to get the points required to be in this top 5 race in any season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

They win games based more in luck than anything. Teams like that can go in good runs and bad runs. The Moyes system is fundamentally limited and they can't win consistently enough to get the points required to be in this top 5 race in any season.

His system also won them a European trophy, and they sold their best player this season. I'm not a Moyes fan, but your post is far too dismissive...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

His system also won them a European trophy, and they sold their best player this season. I'm not a Moyes fan, but your post is far too dismissive...

Defensive and counter attacking is going to do well against top teams but badly against weaker teams. They will not win enough of the games they are expected to because of the system.

They win a European trophy because they are. Premier League team. Vastly superior budgets than all by Champions League teams abroad 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Defensive and counter attacking is going to do well against top teams but badly against weaker teams. They will not win enough of the games they are expected to because of the system.

They win a European trophy because they are. Premier League team. Vastly superior budgets than all by Champions League teams abroad 

We have lost to Sheffield United and Forrest.... You could say the same thing about our system then. I don't think anyone should be dismissing teams only six points behind us...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

We have lost to Sheffield United and Forrest.... You could say the same thing about our system then. I don't think anyone should be dismissing teams only six points behind us...

I'm pretty sure we didn't lose to Sheffield United. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If West Ham catch us it will be because we have dropped heavily off the pace needed to finish in the top five not because they'll be replacing us in there. They remind me of us under O'Neill, limited by the style of football no matter how good the results may be at times

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, picicata said:

If West Ham catch us it will be because we have dropped heavily off the pace needed to finish in the top five not because they'll be replacing us in there. They remind me of us under O'Neill, limited by the style of football no matter how good the results may be at times

Yeah, but it's telling he tried to change how they play last season to a more possession based team who can control games. It failed and he reverted to the old style of deep defence and rapid counter attacks to "live off scraps" as Antonio himself called it.

The fact they wanted to change style shows even Moyes knows the limitations to their style of play. 

How the table would finish if like-for-like results from last season are matched for the remainder of this season:

1. Arsenal 80 (-4)

2. Man City 77 (-12)

3. Liverpool 71 (+4)

4. Aston Villa 69 (+8)

5. Man Utd 68 (-7)

6. Spurs 66 (+6)

7. Newcastle 64 (-7)

8. Brighton 56 (-6)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This hurt like hell. I don’t want to sound like that fan but VAR made sure it didn’t happen.

The wife was watching at home, so she took a screenshot of us top just after Bailey scored ☹️

• Sad 1