Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Not fussed about Spurs.  Madders will have his seasonal injury bug hit and their form will drop like a rock.  Not to mention sometime this season they will inevitably get all Spursy as well and bottle everything.

• Like 3

They got a good draw v Arsenal and very lucky against Liverpool. Apart from that they’ve shown consistency but played a lot of poor teams. They have a horrible fixture list for the next 6 games so let’s see where they are in mid Dec…. Especially if a few injuries hit.  They also a have a very tough second half of the season as have to play most of the better teams away. They will have to strengthen significantly in January to avoid running out of steam. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MSvillain said:

Once Unai shows the rest of the league how to solve Ange’s system we will be golden 

If the cringe inducing ‘Angeball’ is a real thing, a defined way of playing that Spurs now have. Emery will have already be working it out. I say ‘if’ because I don’t watch Spurs, but I keep seeIng the term everywhere. 

23 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Worth remembering that we are averaging 2 points a game but are not currently in the top 4, so as well as maintaining that, we also need others to drop.

76pts would have got us in the top 4 in pretty much every season over the last 10 years. I'm confident that will be enough. 

Great result that Chelsea lost, yesterday Palace could’ve got a draw but if we won tomorrow things stay as it is. Hopefully Arsenal and Newcastle fail to win as well, that would make this game week a lot better even before us playing. 
Some people say we won’t be above Arsenal or Liverpool, we can’t say who we are above or not from now, so as long as they will play irrelevant team we have to wish them not winning. Even Man City, them losing and us keeping pace would help us on the longer run.

If we got to first in the next couple of weeks, we can’t just say we’re not good enough to win the league. Just keep going and see where it takes you. That push can secure CL place (even if we fail early on league wise).  
Each win for us and each loss of the other 8 teams is a benefit for us short term or long term. A little threat could come from West Ham or Brentford but that would require a drop in our form.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Can go 5 points ahead of Newcastle tomorrow 🤞

I'm a bit concerned at the teams we shouldn't be beating we're good money for nicking a point at least off, the teams we should probably beat we do, but the teams we should be 'wiping the floor with' seem to bloody beat use 

6 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I have this horrible feeling about tomorrow 

You know it’s football all over that they come and snaffle the points ☹️☹️

Look at Emery's record v bottom half teams since he came in. There really should be no reason for pessimism in this type of fixture anymore. Anyone can have a bad day of course but pretty sure Wolves (three times) and Leicester at home are the only bottom half teams we've actually dropped points against in the last year which is some record.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Look at Emery's record v bottom half teams since he came in. There really should be no reason for pessimism in this type of fixture anymore. Anyone can have a bad day of course but pretty sure Wolves (three times) and Leicester at home are the only bottom half teams we've actually dropped points against in the last year which is some record.

I suppose there is the cup exits too. But yeah no reason to be pessimistic about things at the moment.

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

I'm a bit concerned at the teams we shouldn't be beating we're good money for nicking a point at least off, the teams we should probably beat we do, but the teams we should be 'wiping the floor with' seem to bloody beat use 

When? Give me some examples? Losing meekly at home to Everton in league cup isn't really a good example as tbh I think we pretty much chucked that competition given our very low intensity against a side we'd beaten 4-0 a month before.

Last time in prem we lost to a weak team with full strength side was Leicester at home in early February.

Find it frustrating this negativity is lingering a little when the team and manager is really given no reason for it to with what they have produced for us in last six months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villan95 said:

I suppose there is the cup exits too. But yeah no reason to be pessimistic about things at the moment.

Whether people like it or not we simply weren't bothered about the league cup this season. Pros and cons to that mentality but we now have a full week to prepare for Forest away which will be useful for a tricky game.

Warsaw was disappointing but I certainly didn't expect what we actually put out on the night to wipe the floor with them or in style we did to Alkmaar.

And Wolves is a local derby and they've shown against other teams they're actually pretty difficult to beat.

So far this season we've "wiped the floor" with Everton, Burnley, Brighton and West Ham which is pretty good going from just 9 played.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When? Give me some examples? Losing meekly at home to Everton in league cup isn't really a good example as tbh I think we pretty much chucked that competition given our very low intensity against a side we'd beaten 4-0 a month before.

Last time in prem we lost to a weak team with full strength side was Leicester at home in early February.

Find it frustrating this negativity is lingering a little when the team and manager is really given no reason for it to with what they have produced for us in last six months.

Everton in cup, Stevenage in cup, Warsaw in cup, Leicester in league last season, all horse shite teams we should have crushed tbh but sometimes just unlucky.

Real opportunity tommorow and the following week to extend our lead over newcastle....Can go 8 clear potentially as Newcastle have arsenal up next whilst we have luton nd forest....Also they have a league cup game 3 days before which will tire them out and a tough game against dortmund following that which im sure will be their focus.....all we can do is try our best to win these next 2 and im feeling confident we can do that, starting with the game tommorow UTV

• Like 3