Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

16 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Typical, I was finally going to pull the plug on that this year.  Our success has earned them a stay of execution.

I got rid of it last year, who's that interested in European games, if we're not in them (I thought to myself)? ;) 

It ain't easy... - Imgflip :D

German Cup Final this evening. If Leipzig win, then Frankfurt are in the Conference League, if Frankfurt win then Leverkusen are in the Conference League. I think it’s fair to say that we’d rather Frankfurt in the competition, so let’s hope Leipzig win!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich192 said:

German Cup Final this evening. If Leipzig win, then Frankfurt are in the Conference League, if Frankfurt win then Leverkusen are in the Conference League. I think it’s fair to say that we’d rather Frankfurt in the competition, so let’s hope Leipzig win!

Much of a muchness no.

Bigger game for us is on right now. Midtjylland vs OB. If OB win we just need Fenerbahce to win Turkish Cup next week to be guaranteed seeding for play off round.

Unfortunately Midtjylland 2-1 up at moment.

4 minutes ago, YLN said:

If we're unseeded and lose in the playoff round, I'll be very upset

We should know as villa fans by now that if you only need one of 7 games to go our way then that's the easiest accumulator ever 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Midtjylland won 4-2 so another result goes against for seeding purposes.

They'll play Viborg away sometime next week.

The thing is about the 9 or so teams that have to play a round before the draw is made. You would think that surely at least one would lose but all 9 would be heavy, heavy favourites to progress. Hopefully with football being football, that one of them would trip up.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

We should know as villa fans by now that if you only need one of 7 games to go our way then that's the easiest accumulator ever 

Not really the case because the playoff draw is made before the 3rd qualifying round is played. And the seeded teams will be monumental favourites in 2nd qualifying round.

I think to be seeded we need both of the below:

Mitjyland to lose next weekend

fenerbahce to win next weekend

even if we are unseeded I fancy us to beat most teams; but it would be just our luck to get a Juventus  

• Like 1

If we are serious about the competition we shouldn't care if we are seeded or unseeded. We need to beat these teams anyway. I'm sure Emery doesn't care in the slightest and would have full belief we'd beat any side we could face. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd prefer facing a side he has more data, videos etc to study to prepare against. 

Some of better European nights when we last were in the competition were against the like of Ajax. Yet we suffered going out to Russia (albeit still a decent CSKA Moscow side) and playing Rapid Vienna who had the drive to beat a Premier League side. 

• Like 1

It is a bit surprising that the English team that qualifies by either finishing in 7th place in the most competitive league in Europe or by winning the League Cup, doesn't get seeded, but some of the lesser known clubs from leagues that are somewhat less competitive do. 

I know we get more spots in the CL, but for our ranking to be so low in this competition, that we need to rely on other teams results to be among the seeded qualifiers seems a bit of an unnecessary hoop for us to have to jump through. That said, I can appreciate that a lot of seeded clubs would consider us a must to avoid, if we were to be unseeded. 

Naturally, no offence to UEFA, the other clubs in the completion or to the leagues they qualified from is intended.  Disrespect Memes ;)  

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I bet the bookies wouldn't take the bet. :D

12 minutes ago, YLN said:

The league's coefficient primarily determines the number and quality of european positions, but the club co-efficient is based on the club's form in Europe. 

It's another reason why Europa Conference experience will be good for us. We will hopefully go far in the tournament and increase our co-efficient score. If we get in Europa /CL next season we will avoid most of the big teams until the later stages. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Leipzig won 2-0.

Frankfurt are the second highest seeded team in the competition so I’m struggling to see how that is to our advantage.

5 hours ago, dcdedi said:

I think to be seeded we need both of the below:

Mitjyland to lose next weekend

fenerbahce to win next weekend

Just one I think - we're the highest unseeded team, so one of those 2 happening bumps us up into the seeded teams. Or a shock in the early qualifying rounds

Edited by StewieGriffin

On 31/05/2023 at 11:10, Pinebro said:

It isn't entitlement to state it's a minor competition.

West Ham and Fiorentina was given 8 k tickets each for the final.

Carrow Road is a bigger stadium than Eden Arena. It's a bit of a shambles the whole thing and how little attention Fifa is giving it.

And imo it's a competition that should have never been created. Europa League and CL was fine as it was.

Good job your opinion is worth jack shit then 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

If we are serious about the competition we shouldn't care if we are seeded or unseeded. We need to beat these teams anyway. I'm sure Emery doesn't care in the slightest and would have full belief we'd beat any side we could face. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd prefer facing a side he has more data, videos etc to study to prepare against. 

Some of better European nights when we last were in the competition were against the like of Ajax. Yet we suffered going out to Russia (albeit still a decent CSKA Moscow side) and playing Rapid Vienna who had the drive to beat a Premier League side. 

agree but it just wouldn't be ideal facing a frankfurt or a juve so early in the season when you're trying to get minutes into legs. if we get a tough start to the season then what we dont want to be faced with is a situation where we have (for instance) utd away, juve home, city home and juve away in the space of 2 weeks. you want to be playing a 'lesser' team in the playoff, batter them 4-0 in the first leg and heavily rotate for the 2nd. we draw a top team we'll need to be going full strength in both legs

• Like 1