Nico Williams

RicRic

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We seem to be struggling to appeal to Spanish based players, apart from Moreno. Thought it would be easy for us this window! 

The caliber has gone higher, so it’s expected to be more challenging. Continue the progress and it would get easier to attract (but again the higher caliber you go the more challenging).

He’s young, it’s no surprise, his trajectory is already good, he is loyal and has time on his side. It’s refreshing. Also, quite a few Spanish players have suffered from home sickness and struggled to settle, maybe it’s a cultural thing?

Just now, thunderball said:

He’s young, it’s no surprise, his trajectory is already good, he is loyal and has time on his side. It’s refreshing. Also, quite a few Spanish players have suffered from home sickness and struggled to settle, maybe it’s a cultural thing?

I agree. He was also a refugee as a child. I imagine that this makes his Spanish roots more important for him,

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

You’re talking as if he has rejected us and unless I’ve missed something this morning, the reports yesterday and into the night were unclear because reports said opposite things and none from reliable sources.  So has anything changed this morning that I haven’t seen in reporting otherwise we are still in a watch and wait? Monchi wasn’t coming yesterday morning apparently yet here he is and by the comments from the club and so forth it didn’t look it doubt.  I’m just going to wait on Nico until I hear something concrete either way…

• Thanks 1

As we advanced exclusively in TodoFichajes, Aston Villa will pay the €50M clause to get the services of Nico Williams. The agreement with the player is fully closed at the rate of €7M per season in a contract that will last for 5 years.

In principle, Birmingham has been locating the operation until Monchi's arrival at the offices materialised, something that occurred yesterday at the last minute. The Andalusian has been aware at all times of the negotiations with the Basque and only needs to land in the club to finish the arrival of the striker.

Thoughts Guys? 👀

33 minutes ago, RicRic said:

As we advanced exclusively in TodoFichajes, Aston Villa will pay the €50M clause to get the services of Nico Williams. The agreement with the player is fully closed at the rate of €7M per season in a contract that will last for 5 years.

In principle, Birmingham has been locating the operation until Monchi's arrival at the offices materialised, something that occurred yesterday at the last minute. The Andalusian has been aware at all times of the negotiations with the Basque and only needs to land in the club to finish the arrival of the striker.

Thoughts Guys? 👀

This saga is all over the place.

Having said that this bunch seem to be quite confident including specific details. I imagine more will break soon if it is indeed true.

Williams is a sure fire talent and quite young. I would have been more enthusiastic about an established top level talent but understand we prob can't quite capture them just yet (Asensio etc)

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Thoughts Guys? 👀

Terrible source but so is every one that has written a story 

57 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Having said that this bunch seem to be quite confident including specific details. I imagine more will break soon if it is indeed true.

Williams is a sure fire talent and quite young. I would have been more enthusiastic about an established top level talent but understand we prob can't quite capture them just yet (Asensio etc)

We might but we’d have someone who might be on the wrong age or declining, for me better to get someone on the up rather on the down. Especially when it’s a signing you’re planning to upgrade with, I didn’t mind getting Dendonker for example as I know he was a very good back up and we’d do well to get someone better which knows he won’t play. We already have some ready players, so needing a month or two in the PL won’t be the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

Id rather nico 100x more than asencio 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Thoughts Guys? 👀

Well this maybe an exciting twist 🤔

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought when Emery joined we were linked and the talk was Bilbao is very insular club and players don't leave so what's changed?

In April, Nico Williams had missed two sitters against Osasuna resulting in Bilbao crashing out of the Spanish Cup.  Bilbao fans threw so much racial abuse at him after the match that it caused him to delete all his social media platforms.  It's like Mesut Ozil said: "I'm German when we win, an immigrant when we lose" and it's reportedly soured him on the whole Basque loyalty thing.  

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought when Emery joined we were linked and the talk was Bilbao is very insular club and players don't leave so what's changed?

Yeah you’re correct, no one has ever left Bilbao 😂

If I remember rightly a lot of bigger clubs have tried to sign Iñaki Williams but haven't been able to convince him to move from them as he's so attached to the club, only players born in the Basque region are allowed to play for them, so for their players it can almost be like playing for their country.

Of course players leave them, but if you look at their transfer history for departures, it's very rare that a player leaves them for a transfer fee, according to transfermarkt since 2014/15 season they've only sold three players for money, Herrera, Laporte, and Kepa, I think this is for two reasons, one their better players good enough to fetch a transfer fee probably happy enough to stay because as above for them it's like playing for their country, and two because the club can only sign players from Basque region, when they do sell a player they over charge because for them it's not as easy to replace the player as they have less choice than other clubs.

Basically they're notoriously difficult to deal with when it comes to transfers, as if a club wants to buy one of their players has to over pay, and that's if can convince one of their players to leave in the first place.

Â