Nico Williams

RicRic

15 minutes ago, useless said:

If I remember rightly a lot of bigger clubs have tried to sign Iñaki Williams but haven't been able to convince him to move from them as he's so attached to the club, only players born in the Basque region are allowed to play for them, so for their players it can almost be like playing for their country.

Of course players leave them, but if you look at their transfer history for departures, it's very rare that a player leaves them for a transfer fee, according to transfermarkt since 2014/15 season they've only sold three players for money, Herrera, Laporte, and Kepa, I think this is for two reasons, one their better players good enough to fetch a transfer fee probably happy enough to stay because as above for them it's like playing for their country, and two because the club can only sign players from Basque region, when they do sell a player they over charge because for them it's not as easy to replace the player as they have less choice than other clubs.

Basically they're notoriously difficult to deal with when it comes to transfers, as if a club wants to buy one of their players has to over pay, and that's if can convince one of their players to leave in the first place.

Wow didn't realise Bilbao only sign players from the Basque region & in that still holding their own in La liga all this time, with such a smaller pool of player to pick from. This would be such a special signing if we can pull this off specially under the conditions that they hardly sell any of their players & their jewel in the crown so to speak 🤞🙏

• Like 1

I would love us to sign Nico. Not for what he's achieved so far, but for what I believe he could become under Emery's coaching.

However, I would only want him to join us if he was honestly and openly 100% committed to joining us. My concern would be that he may become homesick, fail to settle and want to return to Bilbao in the next couple of seasons for a much reduced fee.

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I would love us to sign Nico. Not for what he's achieved so far, but for what I believe he could become under Emery's coaching.

However, I would only want him to join us if he was honestly and openly 100% committed to joining us. My concern would be that he may become homesick, fail to settle and want to return to Bilbao in the next couple of seasons for a much reduced fee.

As somebody who has worked overseas and seen my expat friends struggle with homesickness it’s not something you know.  Some of them were fine for a year or two or longer but then something happens or even sometimes nothing happens and the homesickness comes.  Nothing to do with commitment, and unless you’ve done it before you don’t know how you will react on your first time away like Nico would be.  It’s also very hard to overcome when it happens.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As somebody who has worked overseas and seen my expat friends struggle with homesickness it’s not something you know.  Some of them were fine for a year or two or longer but then something happens or even sometimes nothing happens and the homesickness comes.  Nothing to do with commitment, and unless you’ve done it before you don’t know how you will react on your first time away like Nico would be.  It’s also very hard to overcome when it happens.

True some people get home sick moving from one end of the UK to another let alone another country, I suppose what makes it easier is the amount of Spanish and Basque staff we have at the club , signing another young Spanish player like the RB Anrau Martinez who a suggested this morning in the transfer thread (excellent suggestion btw can’t remember who posted it) would help with settling .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

As somebody who has worked overseas and seen my expat friends struggle with homesickness it’s not something you know.  Some of them were fine for a year or two or longer but then something happens or even sometimes nothing happens and the homesickness comes.  Nothing to do with commitment, and unless you’ve done it before you don’t know how you will react on your first time away like Nico would be.

Nick, the point I was trying to make was that if Nico has any doubts at all about moving from Bilbao at his young age, he should probably stay where he is for now.

When I lived in Bromsgrove my next door neighbour was a Veterinarian from Leon in the Basque country  He was a single man and in over a decade he never adjusted to living here. He often told me that he missed the community life that he grew up in, and was only here as he had a well paid job and could send money home to his large family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

True some people get home sick moving from one end of the UK to another let alone another country, I suppose what makes it easier is the amount of Spanish and Basque staff we have at the club , signing another young Spanish player like the RB Anrau Martinez who a suggested this morning in the transfer thread (excellent suggestion btw can’t remember who posted it) would help with settling .

Neil Dunworth ( for the love of Paul McGrath, podcast)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought when Emery joined we were linked and the talk was Bilbao is very insular club and players don't leave so what's changed?

Rebuffed in Jan as the timing didn't seem right. We are back in again. I believe the Basque-county talk was additional reasons to stay on and not leave etc.

They have missed out on Europe and with Monchi here he may be tempted and feel it may be an easier transition

11 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not a single credible, valid link to this player amd yet its 18 pages long. 😳 

True. But let's have some fan on this site, in fact there should be a thread for tentative bullcrap links to scan through. I'd guess it would be as accurate as links on this one. 

Reading the Athletic article on him. He still lives with his Parents in Bilbao and seems to love the club. I'm sure he'll extend and like Asensio we were just trying to see if he had any interest at all in coming to Villa. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Reading the Athletic article on him. He still lives with his Parents in Bilbao and seems to love the club. I'm sure he'll extend and like Asensio we were just trying to see if he had any interest at all in coming to Villa. 

I can respect that tbf.

19 hours ago, Frodo said:

Wow didn't realise Bilbao only sign players from the Basque region & in that still holding their own in La liga all this time, with such a smaller pool of player to pick from. This would be such a special signing if we can pull this off specially under the conditions that they hardly sell any of their players & their jewel in the crown so to speak 🤞🙏

Never been relegated either

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I can't imagine the pride the fanbase must have with their team and goes to show how hard it must be for a player to decide to leave

19 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

I can't imagine the pride the fanbase must have with their team and goes to show how hard it must be for a player to decide to leave

Did the stadium tour a few years back. The museum is quite interesting compared other football clubs

We played them in the first game they could raise the Basque flag after Franco's death

• Like 3

I'm still in hope this may happen 🤞like people have said on here some tentative links saying he is staying some saying it's done deal, nothing concrete though, so that's where I'm coming from, nobody else seems in for him, like real links like ours where we've apparently spoken to him & his agent, nothing like that from any other club, nothing saying out there that he has signed his new contract, as Bilbao have offered him one, & the other thing is the transfer market for overseas players opens 1st July I believe. So that's my angle the deal is done & can't be announced till 1st July that's why it's gone very quiet as nothing can't be said till July, I'm thinking if he has or was signing that new contract Bilbao would be all over it & be out in the public. That's my take on it anyhows I'm probably way off but I live in hope 🙏🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Founding members along with other basque teams in Real Sociedad , Real Union ( whom Emery’s grandfather played for ), Arenas . The early years of La Liga owe a lot to the Basque region in terms of star players and style of play.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This. Another thread created fpr little reason and relegated to other football very quickly 

Â