Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

Castore must be sacked off at the end of season due to the players kits sweating issue. 

Have you noticed how players pour water over themselves during breaks in play in hot weather?
Have you wondered why they might do this?
Could it be just the initial relief of some cooler water?
Or perhaps it is to have the evaporative cooling effect during play?

If the water/sweat wicked away instantly then there would be no evaporative cooling and the shirt would be just an insulator.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Is this rare or fairly common for new brands taking over mid contract? 

It's rare for a new brand to take over mid-contract. They'd usually wait. On the occasions that it does happen, the new brand will "buy out" the old one.

In the case of Newcastle with Adidas, if there's truth in that rumour it'll be because Adidas think it's cheaper to buy out Castore than to wait for the deal to end when Newcastle will be wanting more cash.

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

PS - if you made it to the end of that post, you can award yourself an MSc in Materials Science.

You ever see your brand doing a kit in the near future, or does it not make sense commercially?

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've never fully worked out who you work for @NurembergVillan

I'm a soldier of fortune these days. Like The A-Team.

I used to design football kits (and then other elite performance sportswear) at Puma and was Creative Director at Umbro.

I worked for O'Neill and Lululemon too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

First off - it's glaringly obvious when you look at the players that they're wet through. This isn't ideal...

Given the weight of the fabric (based on what I saw last season) it's unlikely that the players are "sweating more". It's also unlikely to affect on-field performance as a result.

Sweat on the skin actually helps to cool the body down - as you move, the air cools the liquid which cools you. In theory, if you dry yourself then you'll simply start sweating again.

In terms of performance fabrics, "wicking" is where a material moves liquid (sweat) from one side of the garment to the other - in this case from the inside to the outside. From there, the air will allow the liquid to evaporate. Fabrics that are wet to the outside are normally doing their job properly.

There's a limit to how much impact wicking fabrics can have though. If you're sweating profusely, no fabric in the world is going to wick the moisture and dry it quicker than you can produce it. Anyone claiming otherwise is talking bollocks.

At this point (and often what I aim to achieve in my own work) it's about making wet feel comfortable. Then you get some cooling benefit AND you're not distracting the athlete.

These shirts look like they're clinging to the players and so that's possibly uncomfortable and a distraction. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an active distraction, it's just the wearer is more likely to be aware of it. The best feedback you can get from an athlete is no feedback at all, IMHO.

The stuff I designed for 2006 was super lightweight so it wet out very quickly. It was also textured, so it didn't stick to the skin of the players so easily.

It's a fine balance because whilst a heavier fabric will be more absorbent and therefore look and potentially feel drier, it's also going to be a lot heavier still once it's soaked with sweat. Like a bath towel when you take it out of the washing machine (assuming you're all modern men who do some housework).

SO - it could be intentional for the fabric to move the sweat like that BUT I very much doubt that visual during a match is something they would've wanted or been happy with. If the fabric was tested on athletes (rather than just in a lab) I'm guessing it was in a colour that didn't show the dark marks - maybe even black and white stripes...

Unless the players are overheating in it (which I doubt, but I'd need to see the shirt) it's unlikely to be causing them a problem beyond being a bit uncomfortable. If it's that much of an issue for them, we'll find out because they'll start playing in the replica...

If I've  understood correctly then, we need to take on Prince Andrew as a triallist and arrange a friendly for him to play in.  If they still look wet through, there's  a problem with the kit.

• Haha 4

I work overseas, so decided to pop down to the Aston Villa Store yesterday (8/8) before i fly back thursday (nightmare getting stuff sent to Saudi). The shop is so chaotic, lot of kit without prices on, only the Home Kit available (wanted the Black Goalies Top) Staff were like 'if its not out we aint got it!' Not a good show a few days before the new season. Anybody know if this is a Castore issue or the club ?

14 minutes ago, adam67 said:

I work overseas, so decided to pop down to the Aston Villa Store yesterday (8/8) before i fly back thursday (nightmare getting stuff sent to Saudi). The shop is so chaotic, lot of kit without prices on, only the Home Kit available (wanted the Black Goalies Top) Staff were like 'if its not out we aint got it!' Not a good show a few days before the new season. Anybody know if this is a Castore issue or the club ?

Are you taking Davis and Hause with you, be a bargain for those Saudi clubs at £20m each 

3 hours ago, adam67 said:

I'd guess a Fanatics issue. They run the club shop these days I think.  Why Fanatics don't have the stock though could well be a club issue due to the badge changing this season, late agreement on style, new sponsor to incorporate,  etc.