Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Turned down Man U to come here, is the rumour with Barca fans too. 😲

While that sounds a little surprising, given the absolute basket case Man Utd is behind the scenes, that doesn't shock me all that much. They're not a modern club at all. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

While that sounds a little surprising, given the absolute basket case Man Utd is behind the scenes, that doesn't shock me all that much. They're not a modern club at all. 

You would get a huge amount of credit and a new challenge taking a team like Villa to being a top 4 side surely. I think he's after the challenge 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Turned down Man U to come here, is the rumour with Barca fans too. 😲

If that is true then NSWE are really selling a project.  Which makes me more excited as it becomes even clearer that he (and Emery and Heck) aren't signing because we are paying them more than anyone else but that we've sold them a vision and that it is the vision that has motivated them to join us.

• Like 2

The owner situation at Manure might also play in. They are actively for sale and who know when it will happen, who the owners will be and what they have planned.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sne said:

The owner situation at Manure might also play in. They are actively for sale and who know when it will happen, who the owners will be and what they have planned.

I assume that one of the bidding parties must have approached him (if he really has been approached and turned them down) because you can't see why the existing owners would be appointing a DOF in the midst of trying the sell the club.

6 minutes ago, allani said:

I assume that one of the bidding parties must have approached him (if he really has been approached and turned them down) because you can't see why the existing owners would be appointing a DOF in the midst of trying the sell the club.

Maybe. Or it could just be a bs made up rumor.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You would get a huge amount of credit and a new challenge taking a team like Villa to being a top 4 side surely. I think he's after the challenge 

Yeah, true. Plus, being at Barca, he's worked at a club as prestigious as Man Utd before and probably realises that the name means nothing, it's all about the structures in place and the influence you can have personally. Greater control, better foundations and a comparable/better paycheck sounds like a big win for him already. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah, true. Plus, being at Barca, he's worked at a club as prestigious as Man Utd before and probably realises that the name means nothing, it's all about the structures in place and the influence you can have personally. Greater control, better foundations and a comparable/better paycheck sounds like a big win for him already. 

More to the point - I get the impression that the vision / legacy becomes much more motivating than money.  Giving people a payrise tends to have a very time limited impact on their morale / happiness.  Making people feel like their role is critical to the success of the business prolongs the morale / happiness factor (as long as you aren't taking the **** and paying them well below their value).  If we start realising the vision then it will become much more difficult for another club to come up with a package (money + project) that would tempt them away.

Which kind of ties in with everything that NSWE / Purslow have talked about in terms of finding a new way to compete with the Sly 6 and the "state owned" clubs.  We can't outspend them so the way to compete is to be better than them in every other regard.  Be better at exploiting other revenue streams, be better at finding elite players earlier, be better at coaching, be better at being the mouthpiece against the status quo (domestically and within Europe), etc.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2023 at 11:27, wishywashy said:

sound like a slick " Poker player"

Negotiation, is an art, you are right....and done well, requires a bunch of intelligence and articulation.

Seems like we have another implement, in the Aston Villa toolbox.

The incremental progress is staggering.....These owners seem to know, exactly when to strengthen and restructure....and intent on top quality execs.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Robbed from Misha again:

" Barcelona vice president Eduard Romeu asked about Alemany leaving:

“Mateu Alemany couldn’t say no. Aston Villa put an astronomical salary on the table & on top of that, they give you a blank cheque book & it’s very hard to say no. Mateu is a phenomenon, he’s done a great job.” "

Bloody hell they make the man sound like the Messi of Football Directors for real. Lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131653430526891/permalink/1942565899435626/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Blank Cheque 👀

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Robbed from Misha again:

" Barcelona vice president Eduard Romeu asked about Alemany leaving:

“Mateu Alemany couldn’t say no. Aston Villa put an astronomical salary on the table & on top of that, they give you a blank cheque book & it’s very hard to say no. Mateu is a phenomenon, he’s done a great job.” "

Bloody hell they make the man sound like the Messi of Football Directors for real. Lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131653430526891/permalink/1942565899435626/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Blank Cheque 👀

Blank cheque ? Does that mean that he is ging to work for us for free ?!

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Little bits about him through the video. I like the fact he really didnt want to bring Messi back and wanted to make the squad a bit more dynamic

I don't want to say it's outright disrespectful, but the kinds of questions the two English guys kept asking the Spaniard about Alemany coming to Villa were slight digs at the club.  Implying Villa are a "simpler" project than Barcelona made it sound like Alemany was running away from the "challenge of an elite club".  Also the whole "players don't care about behind the scenes stuff and don't want to go to a club like Villa over a club like Barcelona" makes it sound like Alemany is going to only try to complete directly with Barcelona for every signing.  

Â