Space rockets and star ships

Lichfield Dean

Rather than clutter up the science thread with rocket launch stuff I thought it might be worth starting a new thread, especially as things are starting to really motor now.

First up - SpaceX are looking to launch their enormous Starship today! It's sitting on the past, stacked and ready and with clearance to go. No time yet given, so I assume it'll be later tonight UK time.

These guys do a good show about rocket launches, they're often quite funny:

39 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Rather than clutter up the science thread with rocket launch stuff I thought it might be worth starting a new thread, especially as things are starting to really motor now.

First up - SpaceX are looking to launch their enormous Starship today! It's sitting on the past, stacked and ready and with clearance to go. No time yet given, so I assume it'll be later tonight UK time.

These guys do a good show about rocket launches, they're often quite funny:

Targeting 2pm UK time for launch today.

Everyday Astronaut is a really good watch, quite technical but in a simple way. He actually going to Space on the "Dear Moon" mission in a couple of years.

Imagine my disappointment when I was primed to enthusiastically launch into my favourite spaceships only to find this is a serious thread. 😅

I'll just do top 3:

1. Klingon Bird of Prey
  2. Colonial Viper (classic era BSG)
  3. X-Wing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Imagine my disappointment when I was primed to enthusiastically launch into my favourite spaceships only to find this is a serious thread. 😅

I'll just do top 3:

1. Klingon Bird of Prey
  3. X-Wing

Haha! I'm happy to extend this thread to fictional ships as well!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I'll just do top 3:

1. Klingon Bird of Prey
  3. X-Wing

Dai - X 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

My favourite from fiction would be Rama, I guess. I was trying to find a picture which may best convey it's scale, but there weren't many that I thought did a sufficient job. Perhaps this was one of the best.

20428047._SX540_.jpg

From Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama (1973), in which a mysterious, enormous, cylindrical object enters the solar system with no sign of life on board. Denis Villeneuve is supposedly working on the latest attempt to get a movie made, but I have my doubts about that. 

I also really like The Lexx, from, uh, Lexx

image.jpg

Lexx is basically a big engineered insect, with the ability to destroy planets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogso said:

My favourite from fiction would be Rama, I guess. I was trying to find a picture which may best convey it's scale, but there weren't many that I thought did a sufficient job. Perhaps this was one of the best.

20428047._SX540_.jpg

From Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama (1973), in which a mysterious, enormous, cylindrical object enters the solar system with no sign of life on board. Denis Villeneuve is supposedly working on the latest attempt to get a movie made, but I have my doubts about that. 

I also really like The Lexx, from, uh, Lexx

image.jpg

Lexx is basically a big engineered insect, with the ability to destroy planets. 

Rama is great. I had to do a physics project on it at university in fact.

Shame that SpaceX had to scrub the launch. But at least it didn't explode into a billion pieces. Although that would have been more interesting...

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Â