Space rockets and star ships

Lichfield Dean

Spoilers from this week's end-of-season Picard

Spoiler

The D looked great, loved it.

Things I liked:

The attention to detail was incredible. Everything looked absolutely spot on (not 100% sure about the curve of the "horseshoe" where it heads towards the floor but that's only something you can see in side-by-side images and to be fair it was a hell of an complex shape).

It still looks good onscreen. It's "the fat one" as the show liked to call it, but it still has an elegance amongst a lot of the increasingly complicated modern Trek ships.

Things I didn't appreciate:

The inertial dampers seem to work when needed but not when the producers want the crew to react to the ship's movements. Bit irritating.

In a typical Picard "lack of originality" move, they basically turned the D into the Millennium Falcon and a Borg cube into the second death star and totally recreated Lando's attack from Return Of The Jedi. This is the kind of rubbish writing that has permeated Picard and annoyed me, but that's for another topic.

Why do they keep referring to it as "analog"??? Grrr....

The Enterprise G

I get why they did that but really? The Titan becoming the new flagship of the Federation? Seems a bit... rubbish after the F.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

• 1 month later...

I guess this is the end for the Cornwall satellite launching industry?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65692302

Virgin Orbit: Branson’s rocket dream ends after mission failure

Sir Richard Branson's rocket company Virgin Orbit has shut down, just months after a major mission failure.

The firm's converted jet and leases on properties have been sold for $36m (£29m), just a fraction of the $3.7bn the company was valued at in 2021.

In March, Virgin Orbit said it would make most of its workforce redundant after failing to secure new investment.

The California-based firm filed for bankruptcy protection in the US early last month.

• 2 months later...

Plenty of UFO talk today. But it's just that - the whistleblowers haven't given any concrete evidence as far as I can tell. It's all just words. They may be credible witnesses etc. but this is still all just hearsay. Give us actual pictures or videos or physical items or just... something.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, Tegis said:

They got further this time including seperation. So we got two kabooms for the price of one.

Let's just hope the second one hasn't left a load of debris at 150km. They really needed to bring it lower before exploding it if was under control

• 3 months later...

Funny innit.

We all think we live in a modern world smug about t'internet and the smartphones in our pocket whilst physically laughing out loud about those massive brick phones they had in the 90s.

Some bloke in the future will probably discover one of these videos in the future on his holophone and wonder why the **** we were burning all that shit to send a machine into space. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 07:11, Lichfield Dean said:

Plenty of UFO talk today. But it's just that - the whistleblowers haven't given any concrete evidence as far as I can tell. It's all just words. They may be credible witnesses etc. but this is still all just hearsay. Give us actual pictures or videos or physical items or just... something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_William_Cooper

On 14/03/2024 at 12:51, Tegis said:

Third potential kaboom in about 30 minutes

Well, it go kaboom eventually, but it seems to have mostly worked well prior to that. And the board footage (especially during re-entry) was astonishing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I'm curious as to why the richest people in the world seem to be bent on making rockets to get the hell off of it

Just in case insurance 

Very rich  people have a very inflated opinion of themselves

Edited by Follyfoot

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Well, it go kaboom eventually, but it seems to have mostly worked well prior to that. And the board footage (especially during re-entry) was astonishing.

The booster failed to restart it's engines (again) and crashed into the sea at 2-3 times the speed of sound.

Starship developed a fuel leak shortly after separation and this caused an uncontrolled spin throughout the ballistic portion. Entry was completely uncontrolled and this led to some pretty colours as parts of the ship which weren't supposed to be exposed to atmospheric friction burnt up.

It was pretty much the most minimal improvement possible compared to the last launch, but the marketing spin is going well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Clearly Musk is a huge bellend, but are people here trying to imply that SpaceX don’t know what they’re doing?

I like that Musk wasn't even present for this launch. He's leaving things to the engineers. I just wish the presenters wouldn't mislead people. You could see the fuel leak, both in the video stream and buy watching the graphic showing fuel levels. It was spinning throughout all the ballistic tests (you could see the shadows spinning around in the internal views. The same graphic showed that it was in wrong orientation (and spinning) during re-entry.

I think the engineers will consider the mission a success within their rapid prototyping methodology. It's all the marketing bollocks that annoys me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I like that Musk wasn't even present for this launch. He's leaving things to the engineers. I just wish the presenters wouldn't mislead people. You could see the fuel leak, both in the video stream and buy watching the graphic showing fuel levels. It was spinning throughout all the ballistic tests (you could see the shadows spinning around in the internal views. The same graphic showed that it was in wrong orientation (and spinning) during re-entry.

I think the engineers will consider the mission a success within their rapid prototyping methodology. It's all the marketing bollocks that annoys me.

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I can appreciate there’s a lot of hype bollocks around SpaceX. They definitely know what they’re doing though!

• Like 1

Â