Church hymns for weddings, for non religious people

HallGreenVillan

12 minutes ago, HallGreenVillan said:

I'm getting married in  10 weeks time in a church, :-0 needing recommendations for wedding hymns for non particularly religious people please

Anything by the Beatles. They are bigger than Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HallGreenVillan said:

I'm getting married in  10 weeks time in a church, :-0 needing recommendations for wedding hymns for non particularly religious people please

We went with Morning Has Broken. 

1 hour ago, HallGreenVillan said:

I don't really see the problem here... I'm not a believer in sky fairies, but if I have to attend a ceremony in a church I'll happily sing along to any hymn as long as I know the melody and the words. it's just words, after all. They don't have to have a special spiritual meaning to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TB said:

I don't really see the problem here... I'm not a believer in sky fairies, but if I have to attend a ceremony in a church I'll happily sing along to any hymn as long as I know the melody and the words. it's just words, after all. They don't have to have a special spiritual meaning to me.

Yeah, same. Some of them have great tunes. 

Our school assembly always required the singing of one hymn or another, invariably mumbled in a desultory half-arsed way.  One day when I was in the 6th form, my mates and I decided to liven things up by giving it some welly for a change. Can't remember what hymn it was now, but we gave it the full male voice choir treatment, really belted it out. Welsh miners would have been proud of us. As this wall of sound roared from the back of the hall, the younger kids at the front were turning their heads in amazement, and teachers on the stage were looking at each other with raised eyebrows. After the assembly, the headmaster stormed down to our classroom and demanded our form master give us a dressing down for 'showing disrespect'. To his credit, he refused, and said he thought it sounded great and made a refreshing change. 

Next day it was back to the lip-synching and mumbling. 

Edited by mjmooney

Do you have to have a wedding hymn if you don't fancy it?  Sure all the church-based weddings I've attended I've not been expected to sing at (maybe they were warned in advance, come to think of it).  Plus, even if I was theistically-minded, the last thing I'd want to hear at my own wedding would have been my family and friends strangling cats en masse.

Congratulations, by the way.

15 hours ago, HallGreenVillan said:

So why are non religious people getting married in a church?

14 hours ago, TB said:

I really don't sing in a church I've been invited to. Out of sympathy for my audience, hell they don't want to hear that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I’m not married but I’d get married in a church despite being an atheist if my soon to be wife wanted to.  Church’s are spectacular in beauty, a great space for a large crowd to gather and watch the ceremony and there are very few other spaces in the uk that can match them for an event like that.  If I went back to Australia, there are better places to go to get married.

Does it matter that it’s generally a religious venue? Not really, what people choose themselves to believe in is up to them….it’s just like watching a gig/concert at Villa Park, just because it’s a football stadium doesn’t mean it only has to be used to watch football.

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Most men would get married in a shed. The big church wedding is usually driven by the bride wanting a fairytale big day, something that has probably been a childhood dream fo them. 

Â